Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fading Light
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this strange new anxiety associated with making goals. It's not so much a fear of success, but a fear that I wont be able to prove the people that doubted me wrong. I think it's one of those cases of focusing on the negative rather than the positive, but it makes it impossible for me to make even little goals, like going back to school because I wonder if maybe the people were right about me not being successful. Then I feel if I do succeed it will be pointless because the losers wont even be there to see me win and prove them wrong. It sounds petty, but I feel like that would make the success even sweeter, and if I cant have that, then why bother? I was pursuing music and I had so many people tell me it wasn't a good idea, and now I start to feel myself that its not a good idea, maybe they're right and what's the point? The losers who told me that were either people I didn't know well or estranged family members. So even if I did become successful, I wouldn't be able to prove it to them. I then go into a cycle of just hating people in general for being close minded, dreamless, unimaginative people. Of course, there have been many supporters, but I can only focus on the negative in the past few months and it makes it hard to make and accomplish even basic goals, like leaving the house. Does anyone else understand this mess!? Any advice would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Stop thinking of others and think about yourself. There is something to be said for pure personal goals and being a bit selfish,especially in cases such as ours when we have issues which need to be overcome.

Who cares what they thought/think/may think? they are not a part of your life now and thus have no bearing on it, do it for yourself, not as a revenge 'i told you so' attitude but to improve and enjoy yourself.

If you like music go and bloody do it lol, if you dont feel its a career path then do it as a hobby. Living in the past is why so many of us can never progress as you are always beating yourself up and doing things for the wrong reasons

·
Fading Light
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stop thinking of others and think about yourself. There is something to be said for pure personal goals and being a bit selfish,especially in cases such as ours when we have issues which need to be overcome.

Who cares what they thought/think/may think? they are not a part of your life now and thus have no bearing on it, do it for yourself, not as a revenge 'i told you so' attitude but to improve and enjoy yourself.

If you like music go and bloody do it lol, if you dont feel its a career path then do it as a hobby. Living in the past is why so many of us can never progress as you are always beating yourself up and doing things for the wrong reasons
Thanks. Yesterday was a bit rough I think that's why I posted this at all, but I am feeling a bit more optimistic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts