Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a big problem for other SA sufferers? It certainly is for me.

Today, for example, I had to put five items into a box for storage. Just five items, yet I had to recount them three of four times. When I'd closed the box, I then had to check all around the table area to be sure I hadn't left any out, even though I knew I hadn't. I then had to fight the overwhelming urge to open the box and check one last time.

I can't leave the house without checking and re-checking that doors and windows are closed, that appliances I haven't used in days are switched off, that I have all the items I'll need for the day, etc.

In some ways, this is worse than SA. I mean, everybody gets anxious from time to time, so I can rationalise to myself that I'm really just like everyone else except that I have a little more anxiety than most, but normal people don't have to do all this checking and counting crap, do they? :no

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I don't have big problem but I do notice some OCD thoughts, and checking in myself. I think it is really common for people with SAD to have these. I think there must be some underlying thing that leads to both. I hate the lack of self trust involved. With SAD you have no self trust in social situations you fear you will embarrass yourself or not make the kind of impression you want, with OCD you don't trust yourself either, that you'll do the opposite of what you want like forget to do something etc. I think tourettes has similar traits too. I watched a show recently about kids with tourettes and noticed similarities with SAD and OCD, I wonder if there is the same underlying cause for all these.

·
Hiding in my basement
347 Posts
It takes me about 15 mintues to leave the house before work everyday. Checking and rechecking locks, appliances turned off, all cats are inside, etc. As they years tick by its gets worse and worse. I'm scared to try and total up how much of my time is spent just sitting there everyday, checking and rechecking things in my mind. Its a terrible way to live.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OCD is a problem for me too. I have it bad with mail and things to do with communication. It's like I don't believe my eyes or something. I'll carefully and slowly put the mail in the slot, but then I think maybe it didn't go in, maybe it fell on the ground, even though I saw it go in, still I have to go back and look on the ground. I even have asked postal workers to retrieve mail and check if I wrote addresses right and stuff. They're not allowed to hand it back, but they check it for me. Food shopping is a pain too cuz I gotta check every angle of the item to make sure it's not opened, dented, crushed, etc.. Takes forever. And yes, the older I get the worse it gets.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
A lot of people on this board have OCD as well.

I stopped checking car doors quite so vigorously about a decade ago when I tore the driver's door handle off a Toyota. I just propped up back up in place so my father would think he broke it. When he would break thinks it was always due to it being "defective", yet it was always your fault if it broke on you.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is this a big problem for other SA sufferers? It certainly is for me.

Today, for example, I had to put five items into a box for storage. Just five items, yet I had to recount them three of four times. When I'd closed the box, I then had to check all around the table area to be sure I hadn't left any out, even though I knew I hadn't. I then had to fight the overwhelming urge to open the box and check one last time.

I can't leave the house without checking and re-checking that doors and windows are closed, that appliances I haven't used in days are switched off, that I have all the items I'll need for the day, etc.

In some ways, this is worse than SA. I mean, everybody gets anxious from time to time, so I can rationalise to myself that I'm really just like everyone else except that I have a little more anxiety than most, but normal people don't have to do all this checking and counting crap, do they? :no
Omg, yes I can relate. Not so much to counting but just checking over and over. For some reason it's gotten really bad lately. I will be late to places such as work because I couldn't stop myself from checking the stove, doors, etc. etc. I don't really have a set number I have to do things, I just have to somehow just try to stop myself. Ugh, it sucks but I still think SA wins for me anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I get a little ocd.

Like SA I think every one has it some level of it. So I think you could rationalize ocd in the same way you rationalize SA.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I get a little ocd.

Like SA I think every one has it some level of it. So I think you could rationalize ocd in the same way you rationalize SA.
I agree, I think many people have little obsessive things but they don't always interfere with life enough to be called OCD. I certainly have some odd things I do... mine are usually to do with order, numbers and symmetry. I check the door is locked heaps of times and I unlock and lock it 3 times (with the right rhythm, or I do it again). I turn lights on and off 3 times. If someone touches me on one shoulder it's unbearable and I have to touch the other one to 'even it up'.

...but strangely enough my odd little behaviours are overruled by SA i.e. if there is a chance of me looking strange I will stop myself from doing them.

·
Hiding behind the sofa
255 Posts
I've OCD, it gets in the way of things and plays such a part in just about everything I do that it'd be impossible (or at least kinda boring to) list all the instances within a single day and when you throw in some panic attacks it can get a bit much..

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have minor OCD with some things. I wash my hands a LOT and I check locks on doors and electrical outlets over and over again....i crack myself up

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
i can relate to this but with money. no matter how many times i count money i have a feeling i miscounted. i don't think i have OCD though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i can relate to this but with money. no matter how many times i count money i have a feeling i miscounted. i don't think i have OCD though.
I'm a cashier and I have to double check cash when I get it. I have to stop myself after the first check though, I don't want the customer to think I'm a weirdo. >.<

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yup, OCD is a bit of a problem with me too. With me it's experiencing unwanted unpleasant intrusive thoughts and urges. It's not something I experience all the time, but when it does happen I find it pretty hard to deal with.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think I have OCD, but my mother won't take me to a psychiatrist. Anyways...
I have a voice in my head that tells me what to do. And I have the terrible feeling that if I don't do such, it might happen something to me, like dying or something.
But then I have the repetitive habits, like... everytime I leave the house, I stand at my door, and quickly count the clothes I'm wearing. (not counting shoes and accessories.) If the number doesn't hit pair, I go back inside and make it hit pair. If I don't do this, I'll be nervous all day.
Íf I'm climbing steps, I have to count them. Every single time. It has to hit pair (once again; I have terrible fright of non-pair numbers, except for 5.). If it doesn't, I go down a step and climb it again, as if I'm climbing one more step. Weird, right?
If I do something that repeats itself, I have to do it pair. LOL. Once again! I'm walking down the street, I sometimes start counting the steps I'm taking. I can only stop counting it when it hits a pair number.
(I'm laughing at my obsessions now, xD)
I am afraid of lines in the sidewalk. I can't step on them. If I do, I get nervous. REALLY nervous.
Those multicolored pavements. Like in a shopping mall. I have to step on certain colors and have to have a certain rythm when walking on them.

Ahh, I could go on forever... :p

These rituals take a lot of my freetime! Really. I hate them. If I could, I'd get rid of them. Bah. Fortunately, my bf has the same problem as me. He has to say 7 times "See you later" after he leaves the house in the morning. Weird, heh? xD

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I used to think the only OCD issue I had was with checking when I locked doors or windows. Probably check them about 4-5 times before I'm satisfied.

Then at my new workplace I had to measure metal bars before cutting them and the checking and re-checking that goes into measuring was insane -and it slowed me down :(.

·
Making No Apologies
72 Posts
I check the front door whenever I leave for work. Have to check it five times or I have the overwhelming feeling that someone will rob us. I also have to have all my perfume lined up in a certain order. And my lotion. And my towels have to be folded a certain way. Yeah.....I just try and stay out of the bathroom as much as I can so that Im not folding and fixing things all day. Add all this to the fact that I clean when Im stressed and my whole house pretty much smells like bleach this week, yeah, Im just a very well adjusted part of society.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I think it depends. I'll sometimes check to see if my door is locked twice but usually no more than that. I'm not sure if that's OCD or just good sense.

I do have this thing where orderly patterns please me. I will spend some time making sure things in my room are arranged in a visually pleasing manner. Sometimes I just don't like the orientation of something (like a lamp or something) and will fiddle with it until I get it "right".

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am CONSTANTLY counting in my head. By twos or fives. I count EVERYTHING, or nothing.

After I do something, I start going over it in my head if I did it right, or if I even locked the door.. then check it, and the process starts over.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oh, I am CONSTANTLY cleaning. ALL the time, NON STOP! I have a 2.5 year old and 6 year old and I am always always alwaysssssssss cleaning. Making sure they care clean too. I like EVERYTHING organized. If it's not I cry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts