Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have terrible OCD which causes me to do a "routine" everytime I leave my house or go to bed it can take me anywhere from 15- mind to an hour depending if I make a mistake or not.

I also have trouble throwing things away given to me by family members in fear that something Bad will happen to them.

Anyone else suffer ocd ? What kindnof rituals do you have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have really bad contamination OCD.

I have to eat from paper plates, bowls, cups and use plastic cutlery because I feel like the plates and cups we have are dirty for me to eat and drink from (even though they are thoroughly clean, but I cant eat from them).

I have my own food products like little pints of milk and bread and stuff because I always worry if when I find a bottle of milk is opened in the fridge that someone might have drunk out of it, pressed their fingers against the opening, the opening has touched a glass or maybe they even spit in it (which is gross and really weird for me to think of but I don't know why my mind made that association). I don't like opened food and drink products because I'm afraid people have put their dirty fingers on it or have drunk from it. I don't like opening the fridge door so I use the tip of one of my fingers on the left hand to open it and I don't like my stuff being in the back of the fridge. I don't like touching the shelves in the fridge and don't like touching the handle or the bottom of a product. I'm also planning on buying a mini fridge for my room so that no one can touch my stuff.

When I need to use the toilet, I have to wipe the toilet seat multiple times with my left hand before I use it. I don't like touching the flusher or the toilet seat cover. I always pull my sleeves up before I go into the bathroom.

I usually wash my hands after I use the toilet and before I eat and whenever I feel like my hands are really dirty. It takes me around ten minutes usually to wash my hands on a good day. I hate touching the taps, I feel like they are SO DIRTY. I use either the edge of my left hand or the tip of one of my fingers on my left hand to turn the tap on. I wash my hands using handwash then rinse then use hand wash again and rinse again at least ten times until I feel clean. I let water wash my arms upto above the elbow. Before, I used to use hand wash on my arms upto above the elbows multiple times but stopped because of my mum. I feel better whenever I use hot water to wash my hands and when I say hot, I mean boiling. It makes me feel clean faster than using cold water. When I finish washing my hands and arms, they are so unbelievably red and this upsets my mum so much, she shouts at me but I cant help it. It doesn't stop there. I don't use a towel to dry my hands, I feel they are way too dirty as everybody uses them to dry their hands. Instead, I let them dry by themselves. After making sure they are dry, I have to use wet wipes to clean my hands and arms. I used to use a lot but now I try to use one for both hands, one for each arm and then one for both hands again, four wet wipes in total. But that is when I'm having a good day, which isn't very often so I use much more than that until I feel clean. My mum gets angry when she sees me using tons of wet wipes and one pack of wet wipes don't last long.

I don't like touching door handles but hate using the handles on the shelves in the kitchen. I don't know why I hate the kitchen shelve handles more but maybe its because I have seen people opening them with wet hands or something. I always use the tip of a finger on my left hand to open them. After opening the kitchen shelve door, instead of replacing it slowly, I use the tips of my finger on the shelf door to close it and it always makes a big bang. My mum goes mad when that happens.

I hate touching the bannister or the switches because everybody uses so I feel like they would be dirty.

Before I use the shower, I have to make sure everything is clean. I clean the showerhead and the shower floor before I use it. I take a long time to shower, usually over 40 minutes. After I shower, I clean the bathroom up so that the bathroom is clean, because I hate it when people don't clean up after themselves. After doing that, I have to wash my hands and arms after.

I HATE touching the bin. We have a bin where you have to flip it open using your hands so when I have rubbish to put in there, I use the rubbish in my hand to flip it open because if I use my hands, I feel unbelievably unclean. Whenever I accidently touch it, I always wash my hands like I described above. I don't take out the rubbish, my dad usually does.

My mum has OCD but not to the extent I have. Now she has her own cups and plates for her to only use and that's it. Before I was born, she used to tell me she would be then same. She said if someone came and sat down in our house, once they left, she would get out the cleaning products to clean where they sat.

Sorry for the lost post.

This definitely makes me look crazy but I really cant help it. I don't think anybody would like to live with me. At least when I have a place, you know that it would be clean.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have OCD - every time I leave the house I do a routine check as well which takes about 15 mins. It's been worse though. At the time when I lived with my mom it was horrible. Could run up and down the staircase that led to our door maybe 15-20 times, plus the normal routine check. Often came late to school because of this. Sometimes I had to go home from school to check stuff and then go back.

I also have a problem with bacteria. Often wash my hands(maybe 15 times a day?) and it has cause some problems like some sores on the hands, sometimes that it bleeds but not often. And if someone has had chicken on the counter I can't use it for the rest of the day, and I have some problems eating meat because of bacteria.

Yasmin don't apologize for your post, that's what the forum is for.

I wish you both luck, these conditions can be really hard, especially since most people feel embarrassed about it and doesn't dare to get help or talk about it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have really bad contamination OCD.

I have to eat from paper plates, bowls, cups and use plastic cutlery because I feel like the plates and cups we have are dirty for me to eat and drink from (even though they are thoroughly clean, but I cant eat from them).

I have my own food products like little pints of milk and bread and stuff because I always worry if when I find a bottle of milk is opened in the fridge that someone might have drunk out of it, pressed their fingers against the opening, the opening has touched a glass or maybe they even spit in it (which is gross and really weird for me to think of but I don't know why my mind made that association). I don't like opened food and drink products because I'm afraid people have put their dirty fingers on it or have drunk from it. I don't like opening the fridge door so I use the tip of one of my fingers on the left hand to open it and I don't like my stuff being in the back of the fridge. I don't like touching the shelves in the fridge and don't like touching the handle or the bottom of a product. I'm also planning on buying a mini fridge for my room so that no one can touch my stuff.

When I need to use the toilet, I have to wipe the toilet seat multiple times with my left hand before I use it. I don't like touching the flusher or the toilet seat cover. I always pull my sleeves up before I go into the bathroom.

I usually wash my hands after I use the toilet and before I eat and whenever I feel like my hands are really dirty. It takes me around ten minutes usually to wash my hands on a good day. I hate touching the taps, I feel like they are SO DIRTY. I use either the edge of my left hand or the tip of one of my fingers on my left hand to turn the tap on. I wash my hands using handwash then rinse then use hand wash again and rinse again at least ten times until I feel clean. I let water wash my arms upto above the elbow. Before, I used to use hand wash on my arms upto above the elbows multiple times but stopped because of my mum. I feel better whenever I use hot water to wash my hands and when I say hot, I mean boiling. It makes me feel clean faster than using cold water. When I finish washing my hands and arms, they are so unbelievably red and this upsets my mum so much, she shouts at me but I cant help it. It doesn't stop there. I don't use a towel to dry my hands, I feel they are way too dirty as everybody uses them to dry their hands. Instead, I let them dry by themselves. After making sure they are dry, I have to use wet wipes to clean my hands and arms. I used to use a lot but now I try to use one for both hands, one for each arm and then one for both hands again, four wet wipes in total. But that is when I'm having a good day, which isn't very often so I use much more than that until I feel clean. My mum gets angry when she sees me using tons of wet wipes and one pack of wet wipes don't last long.

I don't like touching door handles but hate using the handles on the shelves in the kitchen. I don't know why I hate the kitchen shelve handles more but maybe its because I have seen people opening them with wet hands or something. I always use the tip of a finger on my left hand to open them. After opening the kitchen shelve door, instead of replacing it slowly, I use the tips of my finger on the shelf door to close it and it always makes a big bang. My mum goes mad when that happens.

I hate touching the bannister or the switches because everybody uses so I feel like they would be dirty.

Before I use the shower, I have to make sure everything is clean. I clean the showerhead and the shower floor before I use it. I take a long time to shower, usually over 40 minutes. After I shower, I clean the bathroom up so that the bathroom is clean, because I hate it when people don't clean up after themselves. After doing that, I have to wash my hands and arms after.

I HATE touching the bin. We have a bin where you have to flip it open using your hands so when I have rubbish to put in there, I use the rubbish in my hand to flip it open because if I use my hands, I feel unbelievably unclean. Whenever I accidently touch it, I always wash my hands like I described above. I don't take out the rubbish, my dad usually does.

My mum has OCD but not to the extent I have. Now she has her own cups and plates for her to only use and that's it. Before I was born, she used to tell me she would be then same. She said if someone came and sat down in our house, once they left, she would get out the cleaning products to clean where they sat.

Sorry for the lost post.

This definitely makes me look crazy but I really cant help it. I don't think anybody would like to live with me. At least when I have a place, you know that it would be clean.
Wow im so sorry to hear what you are going through mine is not as severe. It seems like your biggest issue is things not being clean. Have you ever thought of seeing a therpist? The things i do revolve around being safe i always think of my house burning or flooding or that someone broken in or stole my dof

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have OCD - every time I leave the house I do a routine check as well which takes about 15 mins. It's been worse though. At the time when I lived with my mom it was horrible. Could run up and down the staircase that led to our door maybe 15-20 times, plus the normal routine check. Often came late to school because of this. Sometimes I had to go home from school to check stuff and then go back.

I also have a problem with bacteria. Often wash my hands(maybe 15 times a day?) and it has cause some problems like some sores on the hands, sometimes that it bleeds but not often. And if someone has had chicken on the counter I can't use it for the rest of the day, and I have some problems eating meat because of bacteria.

Yasmin don't apologize for your post, that's what the forum is for.

I wish you both luck, these conditions can be really hard, especially since most people feel embarrassed about it and doesn't dare to get help or talk about it.
Isnt it awful? Have you ever tried not to do these things? I have but have not been successful. I feel go into a panic attack..

I also wish you the best of luck in your situation :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've tried. One of two things normally happen if I skip doing these things. Either I get a panic attack and all emotions basically implode, and it feels like the whole world will fall apart. Or I can actually stay calm and live through the day, but I can't stop worrying which means I can't concentrate on anything and also it takes so much energy because I really can't relax.

Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts