Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...alright, I am literally beating myself to death trying to figure out what is wrong with me. Here is the thing..I have this big ball of anxiety and depression right now but I can't seem to figure out which disorders I have exactly or what means what. Can someone help me out???

Basically, I feel like my mind is one track or something....I can't multi task, think about a lot of different things at once (or in any type of order)- if that makes sense, and obsessive thoughts mostly about what others must think or say about me, cloud my mind and keep ruminating over and over again like a broken record player.

I feel like my brain is on some sort of brain lock and I can't switch the key. The only thing that I can ever really focus on or talk about is my feelings and this is probably because they are so out of control.

With writing and reading I am pretty much a robot...like right now, when I am typing, I don't even notice the punctuation or the spelling of words, I just automatically know how to spell words even if ive just seen them once, or grammar and punctuation-same thing it just comes extremely naturally to me. The funny thing is, I think I am even better at this stuff than all of those "smart students" out there, which I obviosuly don't consider myself to be.

I don't consider myself to be smart because I have an extremely hard time focusing, listening in class, probably because im so nervous, and i have never gotten very good grades in school. The best was usually in english class where I usually got B's sometimes C's.

Anyways, sorry you probably dont need to know THIS much info, i'll try to keep it shorter.

I don't do anything compulsively liek watch my hand sbut when I think about it most of the things that I do do, are kind of compulsive like if im eating something i will eat really fast or other things that i do i will just do them really quickly and usually mess it up rather than slow and correctly.

I don't think my "checking" habbit is out of control, but despite my bad memory with most things, remembering to check door locks and things like that is something that I never seem to forget.

I was always EXTREMELY shy in school but always managed to have a few close friends who I felt comfortable with. However, I always felt like I learned a different way or that I wasn't as smart as the others.

Everyone else seems to be so productive throughout the day and they can just sit down and get things done, while it takes me hours to do simple things. I have heard before that "long blocks of unexplained time" or taking a considerably long time to do things, is a symptom os OCD.

My brain feels like this long tunnel that only zones in on the thoughts of others, and obsessing over negative things or being paranoid of bad things happening.

Socially, I would say that I just never have anything to say but that isnt really the case, its more that i am too nervous and y brain just freezes up i think, and then I have nothing to say as a result.

When I read the Asbergers definition, it kind of hit home. I feel like I may have mild OCD, or maybe sever, not really sure? ? It seems pretty unclear. I definitely have SA.

Is anyone able to diagnose me?!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I wouldn't guess Asperger's, at least not without more definite symptoms of it. It sounds to me like you may well have OCD, and/or perhaps a neurosis (for example when you can't stop thinking about a certain idea, or some problem you can't resolve...I do this all the time, unfortunately). And yes, you probably have SA as well.

But keep in mind that only a trained psychologist could really diagnose you. And I'm not one.

By the way, just because you haven't been really successful in school doesn't mean you aren't "smart" in your own way. Emotional problems can definitely hold you back in this regard (I know this from experience).

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
There is noooooo way I would feel comfortable even suggesting a diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder without observing you in person. There are too many nonverbal, behavioral, and cognitive symptoms of it. Nevertheless you should probably bring this up with a psychiatrist/neurologist, since if concerns you it should concern them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nothing in there indicates Asperger's, which is a developmental disorder. Some of us with it have OCD like symptoms, but that doesn't mean the two disorders are anything alike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts