Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a pointless question, but where are all the nubile ocd'ers? (I've only read posts by a few, and although these posts were excellent, I am far from their authors). And where are their potential mates? (This string needn't focus on me; in fact, it might prove better if it didn't!)

Are some of us not posting because we consider ourselves unattractive, impossible to live with, or in need of having things a particular, inflexible way? Does something as simple as the sound of a television make us unable to concentrate? Are decisions a difficult and protracted business?

I actually do have a small ad on lovebyrd.com, even though a very intelligent person wrote that their service will not have enough viewers... my account there is not paid up: I can't contact anyone via that service.

So, very briefly, I'm a 40 year old, touch aversive, obsessive compulsive neurotic, overeducated, science fiction lover, with delusions (which I wish to maintain) of (a) having to maintain certain systems of behavior in order to function; and (b) being able to improve the world (or enable it to improve itself).

Regards,

Curmudgeon64

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, I have OCD too, I had since I was really young. Mine is was very bad and abstract. Tell me about yours Or IM me on AIM

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey klonopin_g, i'm not sure how to make the AIM work, but will post a reply here. Readers, however, beware: this may turn out to be long and rambling.

Tell me about your[ OCD ].
Well, let's see...my early symptoms included insisting on going in and out the same door so that an imagingary line trailing me would not get tangled. This involved such things are car doors and the doors of the supermarket. I used to qualify things I said by adding a phrase such as "I think" to any statement whose validity I was worrying about, without any regard whatsoever to how (in)significant the statement was.

When I was a teenager, I became very concerned about contamination. I would go to great lengths trying to avoid becoming contaminated or contaminating anyone else. I was known for frequently rinsing my fingers in drinking fountains (only later in life did I develop greater sublety and try to conceal more of my compulsions, as many ocd'ers have had to learn to do). But my contamination rituals were much more involved than this. I also used to check things at home (windows to see if they were closed and locked, the stove's gas to see that it was off; the usual sorts of things). By the time I was an undergraduate at college, my morning routine took so long that I customarily got up about 3:45 to begin it.

I've endured terrible obsessions about being vulnerable, culpable, inadequate, ... as well as mundane obsessions I can momentarily dismiss with a word or a gesture, such as imagining being cut when I see a sharp object.

This is not a complete listing; but it gives you some idea.

Nowadays my obsessions and compulsions are usually less intense (especially when I'm not under much stress). A fairly frequent source of stress is change in my routine or environment. I also have problems which are not strictly ocd, but often occur with it, chiefly anxiety and phobias.

I welcome reading about any ocd concerns you and anyone else might have. I might recognize some not listed above. Please feel free to email me, or post here; or we could take this string over to Secondary Disorders, if you prefer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How old were you when it first start? Mine stated at a young age. It was pretty severe when I was around 7-10 years old and then it went away around for the most part around the age of 10-13 and came back worse when i ws 14 and ever since then it's been different and really bizarre. It has gotten better recently though. IM me sometime

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had OCD like that too, I had it when I was like 8-10 years old, And I had a different form of it in my teens. I still have some of it leftover...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... a pair of clothing that i use indoors only. if i go ouside, i throw somethign else on and when i come back i have to take a shower before i sit on my chair .... if i use a public restroom, i'll shower as soon as i get home ...
Interesting. Sort of unclean space and clean space? I can relate. Gotta defend something.

Also the ability to defer the washing until reaching home -- it may seem obvious, but the good thing is that it allows one to function. Gumaro, may I ask how long you've had ocd?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts