Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Software Engineer

I got it through the dreaded interview process. There is usually something that goes wrong in my interview process that mean I end up with the job. It either rains, I have a cold, I feel like I am dreadfully underprepared, etc. I just went in and tried to be natural.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Right now I'm a marketing and public relations coordinator for a non-profit. I got it by going to school forever (2 grad degrees) and by getting a little experience with a friend's company the year before. I also spent 5 years teaching before that and it's an education non-profit.

Anyway, the best I can say about getting a job is trying to sell yourself according to what they want -- really focus on that job description :). But the interview process was hell. It was a group interview :D. I seriously didn't think I got the job.

Esby

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I'm an auto mechanic. It was mostly luck I guess, I didn't have much prior experience and I was looking to learn as an apprentice instead of going to a tech school. I had known my boss for quite a few years before because my parents always had him do their repair work. One day when I was 19 I asked him if he was looking for any help. Just by luck it happened to be perfect timing as he had a guy who was leaving to take a different job and he needed someone to replace him. He said he would be willing to train me but he wanted to wait a few days and see if he could find someone with more experience. A few days went by and he called me at home and told me to come in on Monday. That was over 10 years ago and I've been working there ever since.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I work in the kitchen at a substance abuse treatment facility. I retired from the Navy in 1994 and I had to get a job quickly because my retirement pay didn't start when it was supposed to. I took the first job offer I got, as a cashier at a truck stop. For months my hands shook uncontrollably for about the first half hour at work when giving change to customers. I eventually got over that but I never enjoyed being a cashier. I stayed with it because it was the only thing I knew how to do. I finally decided to give that up in 2003, but it took about five months before I got hired at my current job. I like it there a lot.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm a chasier and general staff at a bakery/deli. I love it, it's a little family-own place and the products are all made fresh, plus we get one free one each shift (although I don't use this option, otherwise I'd get super fat because I love donuts).

The interview went well plus my mom and my mom's friend both put in a good word for me.

In the future I'm definitely looking into going to medical school. Something with surgery, I am fascinated with surgery. Probably a surgical large animal/equine veterinarian or a physician that helps pioneer the ever-growing field of minimally invasive surgery (quite interesting, they send robots into a person or they make slits to put tools into and perform surgery using a tiny camera). *rambles*

·
Registered
435 Posts
programmer... web stuff, apps, you name it... 2 years at a tech college... a year of contracting... then a friend got me a foot in the door at a corporation... i aced the interview somehow, and the testing was a breeze because all of the other people were ESL and half the tests were logic questions... they couldn't even understand them lol :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm an admin person for an investment firm. I back up the person who runs the in house accounting system, reconciling trades. I also run the website for the company - formatting reports, html codes. I deal a lot with paperwork and compliance for both the SEC and foreign compliance. I freakin HATE my job. Most of the time I don't do much and what I do do is boring and stressful all at the same time. I went to college (didn't quite graduate), but basically finished. Studied Marketing and Economics, which I hated. Don't know why I did that. Applied for jobs and this was the first offer. Why haven't I left yet - the company is amazingly generous. I'm way overpaid and we get unbelievable bonuses. If I took another job, I'd pull in half of what I make now. Yes I'm shallow - I sacrifice personal happiness for money, for now at least. We couldn't live the way we do without my income. Hopefully one day, I can do something else.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I am the assistant for the Behavioral Psychologist that does the behavioral programming primarily for our 10 group homes we operate in a three county area, also we have a few community cases. Most of my clientele is DD, but I have a few MI's. I have a BA in Human Services/Psychology. I started out by working as a Direct care staff with the DD/MI in group homes. I worked at three different agencies before getting this job. I seen this job in the local paper. My dad was getting the paper from up here to find retirement property. I seen this job, sent a resume, and they called me for an interview. I was living 900 miles from here when they called. I had to do two phone interviews, and had to drive clear up here for an in person interview. After a few days they called to tell me I had the job. I started in early Jan 1996. It was fun moving in during lake effect snow time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I do technical support over the phone and email since a bit over a month ago. I got it a bit after graduating college because I couldn't seem to get even a response to any of the other places I applied to. I'm pretty happy there, it is anxiety provoking a bit but I think its helping me deal with things better instead of pushing me over the edge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am a graphic designer. I have a degree in Fine Arts. I just quit my job of 3 years. It was a really stressful place to work. Now I'm trying to freelance from home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
journalist.....ive been working for a month rite now...
how did i get it?..i put in an application, been selected..then they interviewd me...gosh..ive thrived to cheat them..i tried to be natural..not too overshow im a shy girl...i was just pretending..they believe d me..but now, i suffer since i need to cope very well with my working atmosphere which is definitely different from my own nature (all my fault!...)

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
I have a backoffice job in a university print shop which mostly involves preparing academic course packs and obtaining copyright clearances. Alot of emailing and faxing, some phone and face-to-face. I also do a lot of physical tasks in the production area; basically just an extra set of hands.

Got the job thru the usual resume and interview process. A dose of Xanax really helped on the day of the interview. I was a little nervous but felt in control, and didn't totally bomb like a usually do. I keep assuming the other candidates must have been really weak in order for me to have gotten the job....

·
Registered
873 Posts
I am a teacher who used to be able to hide in her classroom, but now with NCLB (No Child Left Behind) I am never alone in my classroom any more!

I am adjusting; I do, however, still have trouble when someone who is bossy comes into my room--the special ed teacher today!

Star

P.S.--I got the job by "group" interview. I got all dressed up and pretended to be outgoing, funny, knowledgable--all the things I wish I could consistently project to others!

BTW TGIF, baby!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts