Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of embarrassed to even admit to this but, I spend a lot of my time looking at pictures of woman/girls, on things like facebook, modeling websites and such. I find my self to be very critical often examining every detail of the girls face and body. When I do find someone who fits my criteria of beauty I become obsessed, looking everywhere to find more pictures of the person, so I can examine them even further. Let me just say this is in no way a sexual thing, it doesn't arouse me. I just find my self in awe of the beauty. I know its not healthy for me, I think my standards of beauty are way to high, what most people consider beautiful I often consider average. I think it also contributes to why my opinion of myself is so low. Anyways, I was just wondering if I was the only one who does this, or am I just my own brand of crazy?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ha, I'm a guy and I do this with celebrity pictures, model pictures, etc. because I am conscious of my weight and eating habits. So you aren't weird at all. Many guys like to compare their muscles to other guys too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm kind of embarrassed to even admit to this but, I spend a lot of my time looking at pictures of woman/girls, on things like facebook, modeling websites and such. I find my self to be very critical often examining every detail of the girls face and body. When I do find someone who fits my criteria of beauty I become obsessed, looking everywhere to find more pictures of the person, so I can examine them even further. Let me just say this is in no way a sexual thing, it doesn't arouse me. I just find my self in awe of the beauty. I know its not healthy for me, I think my standards of beauty are way to high, what most people consider beautiful I often consider average. I think it also contributes to why my opinion of myself is so low. Anyways, I was just wondering if I was the only one who does this, or am I just my own brand of crazy?
I would kind of agree I am a guy though. I don't really study the beauty though, this really is only for dating sites.I go on okcupid and such and if a girl is imperfect in any way at all, i click "hide" within milliseconds. Overweight ones are the first to go. Even if a girl is ok looking and has one awkward feature...I can't accept it. Its not that they need to look traditionally perfect like celebs, just perfect to me. Its kind of interesting because irl I am not this superficial, but I think that is that online, personality, voice, etc... really does not play a factor.

·
poison apple
4,058 Posts
Personally I don't feel it's healthy at all. There's nothing wrong with appreciating beauty, but the standards of beauty (esp for women) that are forced upon us by the media are unrealistic. Many women accept the airbrushed images in magazines as reality and start to feel ashamed of their own bodies b/c they aren't the same as the ones they see in the ads.

But the funny thing is that even the models themselves don't look the same irl as they do in those images. It amazes me how airbrush happy the media is. There was nothing wrong with either of the women in these examples before hand, and yet somehow they weren't "perfect" enough. Compare the unretouched images on the left with the retouched versions on the right:

And everyone wonders why so many women have body image issues. Meanwhile, the beauty industry is teaching us that our own bodies aren't good enough.

I didn't realize how big of an effect seeing such images on a day to day basis had on me, until I looked at a magazine that didn't appear to have any retouching. One of the models had a bruise on her leg. I was shocked at first. Then I thought about it and realized I was reacting negatively to something that is perfectly natural. Everyone gets bruises. It's just that I'm so used to seeing images that have every possible "flaw" polished over and removed, that even something as simple and common as a small bruise seems out of place. And that is such an unhealthy mentality to teach young women.

·
HeavyDirtySøul
5,969 Posts
I guess I know what you mean.. Im not quite obsessed, but when I find a beautiful girl I always look at her pictures and makeup and wonder if theres any way I can look like her. Usually it just makes me feel incredibly ugly and like Ill never live up to them though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's a contender for an article, "Obsessive internet use in young, single, white females." ;)

·
chubby 11 year old girl
1,950 Posts
Anyways, I was just wondering if I was the only one who does this, or am I just my own brand of crazy?
you're not the only one.

i went through a period when i would spend hours everyday looking at pictures of people i deemed impossibly beautiful and wanting to die because i could never look like them.

good times.

·
Avernus
791 Posts
I do this too much, for various reasons. I get a horrible brand of confusion by also being nearly a complete lesbian. I'm attracted/aroused and/or envious, but it all fuels some growing obsession.
I don't really think I do all that much about it, though. Just obsess some more.
But, yeah I don't fit any of my standards, either.

I don't think I rely on Hollywood or modeling so much for my idea of "beautiful", however. I sort of just made it up in my head, deriving from a variety of sources. Mostly books and paintings. It's not any better, though, when I'm still wanting to change things that are nearly impossible for me to change. Especially since societies everywhere have had unrealistic and dangerous beauty standards for women. It's the same for me, I just tend to bury the obsession in outrageous fantasies and epics.

·
Registered
331 Posts
you gotta realize that everyone is good looking. people just have different preferences. and you will never be perfect. no one in the world is. everyone is human just like you are. your not an alien your not super special your just human. just imagine everyone in the world is just like you. and all your problems are solved. life isnt all about looks. would you rather have a car with POS engine but looks like a lambo or a car that looks like a POS and has the engine of a lambo?

but in reality people just want average. well I do. IMO you look perfect just the way you are.
you probably just have insecurities that havent been addressed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts