Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I feel like a total dork for saying this because my real life friends wouldn't understand or think it's kinda weird but I love anime, manga, and asian dramas! Not only that but I love East Asian culture and language!! I would looooove to go over there.....but oh wait, anxiety and the fact that I'm a 5'10" female. My sister married a Vietnamese guy, (which is rare because he's very tall around her height of 5' 10") but I'm too shy to ask him all the questions I want and because he was a refugee of the Vietnam war-painful memories. Thoughts, opinions, experiences to share?

·
Registered
643 Posts
My grandfather was Filipino so I'm familiar with the culture sort of. I don't think about it much. I do like the food. Uh I"m sure he wouldn't mind answering some questions. Like you said though you might want to lay off the war stories. Are you talking about moving over there or just visiting? You can get a house dirt cheap over there. I'm sure there would be some culture shock and you'd have to learn the language. I've considering moving to Japan but I don't speak Japanese and I wouldn't even know how to begin going about that.

·
SAS Membr
1,082 Posts
I love Asian culture too! I watch a lot of Asian movies and anime. Asian fashion is interesting too, I just imported a new jacket from South Korea :)

edit: oh, I also listen to Japanese music :b

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
Hey, that's really interesting. I'd like to try Mandarin next semester, although I have a feeling that it would take me several decades to become fluent in it. I'll probably get the "Fluent in Mandarin" certificate right as they pronounce me dead.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a cousin who loves Japanese culture, is learning the language and draws her own manga. She wants to live there someday. That's all I have to contribute, lol. But I think the culture is very cool.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I seriously thought this was going to be one of those conversations where everyone discusses how much they love everything Asian and are amazed at even the most simplistic items. I've just had bad experiences with people obsessed with Asians especially those who believe they are when really, they aren't. The worst memory was of this guy who asked me out only because I was Asian and he was known to be sorta the type who only goes for Asian girls [didn't help that I was one of the very few in my school that was Asian]. /endrant
But in response to the thread, yay for Asians and their culture. Haha.

·
Registered
575 Posts
.I was turning into a azn crazed girl..then realised how creepy that
is.

In recovery mode.

Any shy asian guys wanna be my friend??

:b

·
Registered
105 Posts
The thing about "asian fetish" if if you were to say date an asian women, and you are a non asian, everyone automatically assumes you have 'yellow fever'.
I think some asian women are very attractive, And I admire the culture, especially of ancient civilisations like China.
Just remember, if your not an asian(and that is a pretty blanket term, I'm primarily referring to east asians) you can never become one.
You can move to japan, learn the languague, learn calligraphy, learn all about their cultural norms, but they will never fully accept you as a japanese.
It is like this with nearly every culture.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yep, I like watching Asian dramas - especially Korean and Japanese. I enjoy Hong Kong movies too. I'm not Korean or Japanese, nor do I speak Cantonese, but I'm Asian so maybe it's easier for me to "get away" with it, which frankly I think is kind of silly. I don't think I should feel more entitled than non-Asians to enjoy K or J-dramas, just because I'm "Asian." Obsess away!

The thing about "asian fetish" if if you were to say date an asian women, and you are a non asian, everyone automatically assumes you have 'yellow fever'.
Ugh yeah. That pisses me off. Don't even get me started. I don't think it's the case with everyone, but there are always those people who will wonder (because, as everyone knows, it's not possible to want to date an Asian woman because you actually like her as a person, right? :roll)

·
I like to shoot jumpshots
291 Posts
Whoa...Asians are liked by non Asians! WOOHOO!

I am Asian American though (Born in America and Americanized)...Though I have great pride in my Chinese heritage (Viet to a lesser extent).

Nice to meet you all!

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
I want to visit Tokyo and Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong. I like the modernity of Oriental cities. You would think having SAD, I'd be freaked out by densely packed, highly populated areas, but I like the idea of being able to disappear into huge crowds of people commuting around town and going about their business. Unfortunately, I don't know how well this would work out for me being a 6'-3" white person.

The conservative/more reserved culture also seems like it would be a better fit for me. I just don't fit the American ideal of being a loud, boisterous, back-slapping jackass.

And yes, the cute Asian girls aren't bad, either.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My grandfather was Filipino so I'm familiar with the culture sort of. I don't think about it much. I do like the food. Uh I"m sure he wouldn't mind answering some questions. Like you said though you might want to lay off the war stories. Are you talking about moving over there or just visiting? You can get a house dirt cheap over there. I'm sure there would be some culture shock and you'd have to learn the language. I've considering moving to Japan but I don't speak Japanese and I wouldn't even know how to begin going about that.
I lived in philipines a few years growing up. Had to stay in Hong Kong a couple days flying there too. It was cool & interesting. Baboons in the backyard. Hell the jungle was 50 feet from back of house. Bats hanging on the telephone lines & such. I'm learning spanish through a computer program that you talk through mic & it visually on the screen corrects your pronunctiation & such. Plus of course it has written & everything. Pretty cool stuff. Japanese is the next I'd like to learn. I think all cultures have a lot of positive cool things to contribute/offer but various asian cultures I find pretty bad *** in so many ways.

Here's that type computer aided language learning(c.a.l.l.) I was talking about. I'm using the "Tell Me More" software. Although on mine is a face/mouth too & bunch more not shown here.

That seems pretty bogus if your not allowed to date an asian woman unless you happen to be asian too. :(

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Aw no, really? I don't think it's weird. I have a friend who's manga-crazy, and while I don't share her passion (although she tried hard to get me into it lol) I don't think it makes somebody weird. She did get me into her martial art though, and I went to Japan with the club. It was awesome :)

I don't speak Japanese and I wouldn't even know how to begin going about that.
Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese Script was great for me.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i love japan and want to visit but it's mostly because of the ****load of great music that comes from there.
and i sometimes wish i was japanese and in an awesome noise/experimental/psychedelic band -_-

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Same here.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts