Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've seen a number of people on the forums say that taking either Provigil/Nuvigil has helped them a lot for depression and overall mood elevation. I was wondering if anyone had had experience with Adrafinil (unregulated in the US). I don't have insurance and a 30 day supply of Nuvigil (which my doctor had suggested) would run me about 201 USD. Thanks a lot!

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
I don't think that either has anymore antidepressant value than a cup of coffee. They are drugs that promote wakefulness. I have never heard anyone promoting either as an antidepressant or for "mood elevation." Unless you're down because you're really tired. I wouldn't waste the money.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
That seems too expensive for a med which isn't even a first line treatment option for depression. Was it suggested because your depression is categorized by a prominent lack or energy/motivation? If so I think Wellbutrin XL may be a better/cheaper option.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I don't think that either has anymore antidepressant value than a cup of coffee. They are drugs that promote wakefulness. I have never heard anyone promoting either as an antidepressant or for "mood elevation." Unless you're down because you're really tired. I wouldn't waste the money.
I'm guessing the drug maker couldn't come up with any trial data to demonstrate an anti-depressant effect for the FDA.

After all, when it comes to marketing drugs you want to find the most profitable markets possible. You're never going to make a vast fortune treating shift work sleep disorder, which is typically treated with a cup of coffee. Depression is a vastly larger market, so I see two possible explanations:

1. They'd like to get approved for depression, but the data doesn't support it.

2. The CFO doesn't understand finance at all and never thought of running a trial to find that it's the magic cure for depression.

My vote is for #1.

Reactions: JohnnyAlonzo

·
Registered
566 Posts
According to the Wiki entry, they're almost the same thing. Adrafinil apparently has more side-effects and liver risk. I'd say if one helps you with depression the other would too.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been taking Wellbutrin XL/Buproprion XL 300mg pretty solid since about 2005. It helped me tremendously back then. When I started taking it, I weighed 247lbs and within 8 months, I weighed 150lbs. I got really into excersicing and working out and even joined the military with it. After I got out in about 2010, the the affects of the medicine seem to wear and now in 2013, I rarely leave my apartment and have no friends, some because they've all moved on had families and others I've just parted ways.

I've tried various meds since about 2011: Pristiq, Luvox, Efexor, Prozac, and most recently, Lexapro. The lexapro seems to have made my depression worse though, and I was looking for a solution. I'm currently still taking the wellbutrin though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

I've seen a number of people on the forums say that taking either Provigil/Nuvigil has helped them a lot for depression and overall mood elevation. I was wondering if anyone had had experience with Adrafinil (unregulated in the US). I don't have insurance and a 30 day supply of Nuvigil (which my doctor had suggested) would run me about 201 USD. Thanks a lot!
Wow that's a lot of money for Nuvigil! Adrafinil works the same for me and is much cheaper!!! I get mine at calmthenerves. Definitely the way to go without insurance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm guessing the drug maker couldn't come up with any trial data to demonstrate an anti-depressant effect for the FDA.

After all, when it comes to marketing drugs you want to find the most profitable markets possible. You're never going to make a vast fortune treating shift work sleep disorder, which is typically treated with a cup of coffee. Depression is a vastly larger market, so I see two possible explanations:

1. They'd like to get approved for depression, but the data doesn't support it.

2. The CFO doesn't understand finance at all and never thought of running a trial to find that it's the magic cure for depression.

My vote is for #1.
Ultra is spot on here. Short term this may help/work a little but it's not something you want mid-long term.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't have insurance and a 30 day supply of Nuvigil (which my doctor had suggested) would run me about 201 USD. Thanks a lot!
Look into those free prescription discount cards, there's lots of them, try each one at the pharmacy to see which one saves the most.

I am taking Lamotrigine (generic) and it was 100 dollars at wal-greens (teva brand). I used a Rx card and it was down to 29 bucks.

Another option is going to a Cost-co if you have one nearby. They had a generic Lamotrigine that was only 9 bucks without a Rx card! Perhaps Nuvigil is cheaper there also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts