Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a nursing student and I wanted to know if there are others like myself with SA? At first clinicals were a challeng but I've become more comfortable. A lot of times I feel like I short-hand my experience because of my fear and SA. I would love to here from others!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
oh pick me :)

I am a nursing student with sa and ive have got to say that it has terrfied me from the start :\ but it has gotten heaps better with the amount of clinicals that i have and constant exposure with the patients. I think it somewhat forced me to open up which is a big plus. I still remember my first placement and i was absolutely terrfied i had to psyche myself up to go to the patients rooms just to do some bps :afr but it definetly has helped me in my confidence in being around people. Still have to conquer my fear of the doctors though :| but its a working progress :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm a medical technology student so it's similar and I am worried about the phlebotomy. I didn't know this would be part of the program when I decided on MT.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i am going into practical nursing. I am looking forward to it. Oh well, think of it this way-it's not like you're performing heart surgery or brain surgery on the patients, which is really intense. I look forward to not staring at a computer 8 hours a day.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I'm doing a pre -nursing at the moment- had a two week work experience and found that pretty hard, loved it but didn't get the best supervisors report. I want to do intellectually disability nursing and during my placement I got on better with the servous users rather than the other nurser and care wokers....:mum

·
grateful
10 Posts
Hi :)
My school starts clinicals a few weeks into first year so yea it was intense.I was beyond nervous and really started to question my ability to even go into nursing and be a neonatal nurse which is what I really want to do. The first few weeks were tough. Entering the patients room and waking them up in the morning was almost impossible. I wasn't assertive, I fumbled around awkwardly a lot and I could tell that others noticed. One of my patients actually gave me a little pep talk about this. Soo embarassing!

Anyway, I'm more used to it now and enjoy learning from my mistakes. I feel like it''s actually helping with my SA now. I'm glad I didn't give up:boogie

·
P4
1,238 Posts
I'm doing medical imaging so it's not quite a nurse and I'm dealing with patients too. I think I am getting better but I still have off days, in particular I have to get used to the people I work with, but they change everyday and sometimes I get paranoid around them :(. Weird how I get more nervous around the workers, the nurses, MITs, and orderlys rather than the patients ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm an MSN student and my very first nursing clinicals were
challenging..I was so awkward and I could barely speak up
during class discussions. What made it so difficult was that
my nursing instructors were unsympathetic with me which
surprised me but that part is all over and I'm now comfortable
as a nurse. Being back in school has brought back some of
those horrible memories for me. I am on celexa now so I don't
suffer like I used to and in fact, my heart no longer races and
my head does not spin. I'm much more comfortable but I still
hesitate in small groups. I may nev
er get over that but at least now I don't get physically ill.

·
Registered
302 Posts
First year nursing student here...I think my SA and self-esteem issues are making it more difficult for me, especially for clinical. I worry about not learning as fast as the other students, and I'm terrified that I'll find myself in situations later in the program where I don't have the adequate skills. I feel really stupid right now :sigh

I'm getting a little bit better, but it seems like I'll never get the hang of handling many patients. I can't even begin to think about medications and all that we need to learn...Nursing is really just a stepping stone for me, but I would hate to waste years working in a career that makes me miserable.

Any success stories would make me feel a lot better! :rub

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm on my Access to Nursing Course now and I'm starting my Mental Health Nursing Diploma in September! :) Although I'm a somewhat mature student at 32! The whole SA thing though is something new to me...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I changed my major from social work to Nursing a few weeks ago, so i am a pre nursing student right now. I have a few more pre-reqs to do before i can apply to nursing school (micro,chem, and human development). I already have an AA, so i am going for the BSN program. I am nervous, but it seems like a great career. I also wish i had done this sooner, i am 30 now but oh well. I am thinking i would like to ultimately get an MSN and be a nurse practitioner in the future, maybe specialize in the mental health/psych area? Well good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm pre-nursing right now. I feel like when I do get into nursing school and begin clinicals, I'll get used to it. I'm not too worried about it. I look forward to becoming a nurse.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have a general question for nursing students:

I have an AA degree in health information management and am considering a nursing degree as well. I would like to learn the field but practice doing utilization review (more of the research side). If this is ones goal, do you still need to do clinicals as a requirement?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a general question for nursing students:

I have an AA degree in health information management and am considering a nursing degree as well. I would like to learn the field but practice doing utilization review (more of the research side). If this is ones goal, do you still need to do clinicals as a requirement?
If you want a nursing degree, then there really is no way around clinicals. Clinicals are a huge part of any nursing program. I'm not exactly sure what your plan is but if you want to work as let's say an RN in the utilization review/management field, you'll have to be licensed/registered to practice as a nurse in the state. And you can't take the state board exam unless you've graduated from an approved nursing program. And in order to graduate from an approved nursing program, you will have to successfully complete a certain number of clinical hours. (Although, you might want to check with the state board of nursing in whichever state you are living in to find out the specifics, certain rules can differ from state to state).

In my opinion and from my experience, you gain a ton more practical and useful knowledge about the field during your clinical hours than you do during lectures anyway.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I studied speech pathology and found the clinical placements really hard with SA. I ended up failing my final hospital placement because I kept having panic attacks. That's when I started seeing a psychologist, and I went back for a second shot. It was still hard, but I got through it. Now I've been working for over a year and while I still find anxiety gets in the way often (now more GAD than SAD), I'm enjoying my work and I'm glad I perservered with uni.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm a pre-nursing student. I did a class in high school where I went to the hospital to shadow a nurse and do little things. I felt awkward at first but it got better. I really want to be a travel nurse and work in europe for awhile. But first I hope I get into the program..it's really competitive.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm a pre-nursing student. I did a class in high school where I went to the hospital to shadow a nurse and do little things. I felt awkward at first but it got better. I really want to be a travel nurse and work in europe for awhile. But first I hope I get into the program..it's really competitive.
yeah i am excited about the possibility of being a travel nurse too! It would be cool to hear about some people's experiences doing that.

·
poison apple
4,058 Posts
I can kind of relate to this topic b/c I went to school to be a Registered Veterinary Technician (which is basically like a nurse but for animals). I just graduated a few months ago. In school we had to do clinical rotations at different veterinary clinics in the area. That was always hard for me, because it was like starting a new job every few months. That and venipuncture were the two hardest things for me....ugh I could never hit the vein b/c I was always too nervous, and when I get nervous I can't focus. :afr:afr:afr

1 - 20 of 29 Posts