Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've posted here before, suffered from SA most of my life, now I'm partially "cured" from using Dr. Richards social anxiety CDs, meaning I have a job where I talk in front of people every day, and don't even think twice about it anymore.

Now my mom is telling me my little brother hides under the bleachers at school during class, and the school wants to have a meeting with her. He just came back from a psychiatric ward last month for not talking or taking a shower for a few months. He refuses to talk to any counselors, my mom, or anyone who wants to help him. He's 17.

I'm in my 30's, and don't know what to say to him, or what to do to help him.

I sent him the entire CD set by Dr. Richards last year, but my mom said he hasn't even opened it. I sent him a lot of emails, and a text message about the CDs, he hasn't replied. :|

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That could be the beginning stages of schizophrenia, because those symptoms are more avoidance-related than the symptoms I think SAD would produce...

·
Registered
71 Posts
i really believe part of sa is in the genes, no matter how much i don't like it, my dad has similiar traits to me related to sa and i heard his mum did too. kinda scares me.

but yeah i hope he gets well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've posted here before, suffered from SA most of my life, now I'm partially "cured" from using Dr. Richards social anxiety CDs, meaning I have a job where I talk in front of people every day, and don't even think twice about it anymore.

Now my mom is telling me my little brother hides under the bleachers at school during class, and the school wants to have a meeting with her. He just came back from a psychiatric ward last month for not talking or taking a shower for a few months. He refuses to talk to any counselors, my mom, or anyone who wants to help him. He's 17.

I sent him the entire CD set by Dr. Richards last year, but my mom said he hasn't even opened it. I sent him a lot of emails, and a text message about the CDs, he hasn't replied. :|

A similar thing is happening to my brother of late. He doesn't talk and show any emotions anymore. He shuts himself off from everyone. I only see him sitting on his bed just staring out the window lifeless. He sometimes speaks to himself but the things out of him does make no sense. He used to be very active, bubbly and intelligent. He's just a completely different person now. He's 27 and I don't think he is playing games with us. Its hard to imagine what went wrong. I don't think its SA but i seriously don't know what it is. I also don't know how to help him. Hope someone knows something.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi everyone,

Actually my sister has S.A. too. Sometimes she's worse than me and vice versa. Look it took me around 3-4 years to come to terms with S.A. Everyone has their realization point. What you should try to do is talk to him as much as possible, especially when he's down. My sister used to spend hours and hours on me just to open up and talk about how I'm feeling. Never lose that line of communication with him. He's at that age where it's the hardest for him.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
There is something wrong if he has not been taking a shower and stuff.
I hope he is at leat doing that now. I can understand what can do to a person socially, especially in the high school age - people are so weird at that time anyway.

He may have to be medicated at least at first. I would offer him a chance to work with you on one of the lessons. Talk to him :).

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
i'd relate to him more than just the SA if you dont already. if the only thing you talk about is the SA and the cd's you sent him, hell probably close you off. not sure of the reasoning, but i would do the same.

I probably wouldnt talk to me brother about SA even though i get along with him, but if we just had 1-way conversations about him trying to get me to talk about SA i'd be way less likely to talk about it

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi everyone,

That sounds like more than SA. His symptoms sound like someone who is being abused.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi everyone,

Can kind of relate to you. I have an older brother with social anxiety & a sister who went through intense general anxiety/depression. I'm also using Dr. Richards program, but not nearly through all of it. It has helped a bit. So yeah, sometimes they just do things that make it impossible for them to be helped.

Personally, I think he is a good person at core but he spends so much time alone that when you go out somewhere with him, he sounds somewhat hateful of normal people. I can tell these people are just fine, no big deal but maybe being a hermit causes you to think that way. I found the best way to relate, is to late them know you've been through are going through some of the *exact* same experiences so they will actually listen. I also believe there is a large genetic factor otherwise I wouldn't have 2 siblings with depression/anxiety disorders.

If he hasn't showered for months, he probably has a more serious mental illness than social anxiety.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts