Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Henri Nouwen, Bread for the Journey:

"There is something beautiful about shyness, even though in our culture shyness is not considered a virtue. On the contrary, we are encouraged to be direct, look people straight in the eyes, tell them what is on our minds, and share our stories without a blush.

"But this unflinching soul-baring, confessional attitude quickly becomes boring. It is like trees without shadows. Shy people have long shadows, where they keep much of their beauty hidden from intruders' eyes. Shy people remind us of the mystery of life that cannot be simply explained or expressed. They invite us to reverent and respectful friendships and to a wordless being together in love."

The shyness Nouwen praises isn't SA, but still I found the quote a little comforting. Thoughts?

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
It's a lovely quote. I like that he points out how our culture doesn't value shyness, but it's not without its virtues. The trouble is, SA is not the same as shyness. I wouldn't mind if I were just shy. I'd love some "reverent and respectful friendships" but I don't have any because I have a habit of running away from people I get on well with, in case I screw it up.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
That's a great quote, I really like it. :)

I think modern society kind of takes shyness and warps it into SA, because shyness is not valued. That, plus shyness just makes it harder to function in such a fragmented society.

·
wondering
65 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. I read a little from a book of his last year, dealing with grief, when my Mom died. I think he went through a severe state of depression at one point. He talked alot about accepting love which can affect alot of people with SA...having love around us, but not accepting it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.