Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Nothing to say to my customers

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  coldmorning 
#1 ·
So, I'm an independent operator for a chips and snacks company here in Illinois. Basically I drive around, stock and order stuff for chain grocery stores. I only have to deal with the store managers for about 5 minutes, but I always feel like I'm coming off badly. All the other indepedent operators, who work for other food comapanies, chat it up with these managers and are very outgoing. Meanwhile I do the normal, "Good morning" then "Have a nice day" when I leave. Sometimes I will say something about the weather, but that's it. I just have nothing to say! Is this acceptable or do you think I'm coming off badly? I guess I shouldn't give a crap, but I always feel like I'm doing something wrong by not having big old chit chats with these people. What do you guys think?

#3 ·
My parents own a sandwich shop, and they're always happy to have the vendors in and out ASAP, less interference with business. I wouldn't worry about it.

#5 ·
I work in sales too most of it is over the phone, which I don't mind, but I do regularly have to visit clients face to face. I always feel the same way afterwards, that my social chat skills are severely lacking. Especially when the other person makes it obvious that they are not interested in what you're trying to say. I'm just glad I don't have to cold call. It would kill me.

#10 ·
I dont know if the same can be said for a checkout lane at woolies, but I get in a tizz if the checkout woman wants a lengthy chit chat, she tries, but I have impatient people behind me giving me the evil eye. Some of the convo topics lend to more than a few minutes.
Dont worry, people arent thinking about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.