Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Throw the Ball!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into possibly going to see someone regarding my SA but I am one of those people who doesn't like to take medication if I absolutely don't need it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone who uses medication. I think what works for one doesn't work for another and I'm just on the side of the tracks of not medicating.

I've always associated the medicines of SA with depression and I'm not depressed and maybe you guys aren't either. But am I barking up the wrong tree, going to a therapist not wanting medicine?

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I haven't taken meds for anxiety/depression for many years now. When I change therapists I get asked if I want to take meds to help and so far have not had a problem when I refuse to take them again. If you get a therapist who doesn't understand or respect your wishes to not take meds then I'd change therapists, Good Luck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You might find taking something like clonazepam prn helpful if you only want to take something when you actually need it. I don't like the idea of being under the influence of drugs like antidepressants 24/7, which is why I would prefer to take fast acting drugs as needed.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You might find taking something like clonazepam prn helpful if you only want to take something when you actually need it. I don't like the idea of being under the influence of drugs like antidepressants 24/7, which is why I would prefer to take fast acting drugs as needed.
That approach tends to lead to dependence though, as when you start enjoying the events you previously felt anxious in, you will want the ability to enjoy all of life rather than a few hours each week.

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
I was never really fond of taking them either but I got to a stage where I thought it was worth a try and I am so glad I did. I currently take 100mg of Zoloft daily and it has helped me work on my SA so much over the past couple of months. For me it has taken away the general daily anxiety which has enabled me to concentrate on my therapy and taking steps in exposure techniques and so forth. So personally it has been fantastic, but the problem with these drugs is that they do affect everyone differently.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That approach tends to lead to dependence though, as when you start enjoying the events you previously felt anxious in, you will want the ability to enjoy all of life rather than a few hours each week.
If the doctor only pescribes a few pills a month though you can't take it that often.

·
Banned
545 Posts
I take sertraline (zoloft). I was exactly the same. I don't want some anti-depressant f'ing w/ my head. I guess I have depression genes, coming from both sides of the family. To my disbelief, it's helped in more ways than one. I feel better about myself. I also don't dwell on things (anticipatory anxiety). I have not gained or lost weight either.

The anxiety is still going to be there. Nothing is going to make it magically/permanently disappear. It is just one approach @ dealing with anxiety issues, and for me it has been surprisingly positive, even though I was very skeptical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts