Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
is no longer coming on
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting to tell you guys but I actually diagnosed myself with social anxiety. I have never told my doctor about my anxiety because I don't want to tell my mom.. I feel like she will be ashamed to have a daughter like me. (She might say to herself, "Wow my daughter has social anxiety and I'm ashamed to go out in public with her") I also don't want to tell my doctor because I know that he will just give me all these medications and I don't want that. I heard that abruptly stopping any anti-anxiety meds can result in your anxiety coming back 10x's worse than it was before and I won't be able to handle that. If I can't handle the anxiety that I'm going through now,then I will probably kill myself if it came back 10x's worse.

Anxiety is the struggle. People don't understand that we are unable to live our lives to the fullest because of anxiety. I won't give up though.

I always have a moment in my life where I'm dedicated to change and become a positive person. A moment where I start believing in myself and where I try hard to be the best.

Then, after a couple days or so, I relapse. It's a terrible feeling. I feel like I hit rock bottom again and that all hope is lost for me. It's like for a couple of days I can be happy but then within the next day or so I am depressed and I feel alone and I feel like no one understands my pain. Even though I don't feel depressed my body seems to put me in this position. I feel like all the constant anxiety that I have to deal with on a daily basis has taken a toll on my body and my body is stressed.

Some people tell me to live life and to be happy but how can I be happy if I'm scared of everything. I feel like my anxiety drains the life and the potential out of me. I feel like I can be anything I want to be.. But the thought of having to socialize with other people just throws the whole idea away. I'm lost, I don't know who I am. I don't know what I want to be in life.I don't know how I'm going to get a job if I'm going to be too scared to socialize.

I feel like a light switch. One minute I'm on and the next minute I'm off. I don't know what to do anymore. One minute I feel like everyone wants to be my friend and everyone loves me.. Then the next minute I feel like everyone hates me and wants to see me suffer and that no one wants to be my friend. I sometimes feel like no one wants me to be happy. If I'm happy.. People will try to bring my mood down. When I'm sad, people seem to be happier. I keep telling myself that it is my social anxiety that is causing all of this depression but I'm starting to think that I have more than just social anxiety. I think I have a list of disorders. Including depression.

I feel like doctors nowadays just throw medication at your face instead of really trying to diagnose you. They might "think" you have a certain disease... but just to be sure... they give you medication. If that medication doesn't work then they throw a different medication at your face... and it goes on and on. It's hard for me to explain but doctors aren't really

I feel like no one understands me and I feel like I am alone on this. Everyone is quick to judge someone without knowing the facts. A lot of people at my school get offended if I don't smile at them or if I don't talk to them. It's not because I hate them.. I just don't want them to talk to me.. I hate having conversations. I hate conversations with people that I'm not comfortable with. It's my social anxiety. It's not that I don't want to talk to you.

Or maybe people don't want to talk to me because I am socially awkward. I always feel like I don't belong and I always feel threatened by people. Even though the people aren't doing anything to me I still feel threatened. I feel like everyone is setting me up to humiliate myself. I feel like people just want me to suffer and cry and yell.I know, it's bad.

This is a life of a 17-yr-old girl living with social anxiety. It sucks, but I won't give up.

I want to hear all of your stories now. I will read every sentence. I promise.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Why do you think your mom would be ashamed to have a daughter with anxiety/depression? I don't know what your mother is like, but you might be surprised by how supportive she could be, and how helpful that support could be towards your improvement.

I understand why some people are hesitant to try meds, but you don't have to be put on them if you don't want to be. Therapy without medication is always an option. Besides, the medications could be the boost you need to get out there and try to improve on your own.

I'm kinda similar though. Some times it feels like I hardly have SA, and other days it's crippling. Sucks. I think a lot of it has to do with mood, maybe anti-depressants are something you could look into.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Why do you think your mom would be ashamed to have a daughter with anxiety/depression? I don't know what your mother is like, but you might be surprised by how supportive she could be, and how helpful that support could be towards your improvement.

I understand why some people are hesitant to try meds, but you don't have to be put on them if you don't want to be. Therapy without medication is always an option. Besides, the medications could be the boost you need to get out there and try to improve on your own.

I'm kinda similar though. Some times it feels like I hardly have SA, and other days it's crippling. Sucks. I think a lot of it has to do with mood, maybe anti-depressants are something you could look into.
1. Not everyone can afford therapy
2. Some people (like me) just have parents that are cold, don't care, and wouldn't understand.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
1. Not everyone can afford therapy
2. Some people (like me) just have parents that are cold, don't care, and wouldn't understand.
True, but she never mentioned either of these issues in her post. That's why I asked. If that's her situation then yeah, makes sense.

·
the last song ♥
2,414 Posts
i wonder if your parents might know you have SA by how you act and stuff and you not needing to tell them

·
is no longer coming on
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankss

Wow thanks for the advice :) I'll look into anti-deppressants. I noticed that my anxiety has gotten worse over the past few months.. to the point where the only way i'll be able to function is by going to therapy and taking meds and by talking to people who suffer from the same problems as me. Thanks for taking the time to reply my post <3

·
is no longer coming on
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wonder if your parents might know you have SA by how you act and stuff and you not needing to tell them
Sorry guys I know this is late..

Ok so, I told my mom about the anxiety and she simply told me .. "There's nothing I can do... therapists aren't going to help you with your problems.. Your willing to tell your problems to a stranger instead of your own family?.. Everybody goes through depression and everybody has hard times but you just need to get a job or go to school.. figure out what you want to do now... once you get out of the house then you'll start to feel better."

D-: lol

It's okay.. I i think she got confused with anxiety and depression.. What do you guys think?

·
Reading SAD research
803 Posts
I heard that abruptly stopping any anti-anxiety meds can result in your anxiety coming back 10x's worse than it was before and I won't be able to handle that.
Not any anti-anxiety medication. People who take benzodiazepine medication like Xanax for months will sometimes get bad withdrawal symptoms which includes the anxiety coming back worse, though I doubt it would ever be 10 times worse. Also, if you take SSRI medication like Zoloft or Prozac, your anxiety will probably just go back to normal levels if you stop. That's how it was for me.

Hope things work out for you :)

·
is no longer coming on
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stay strong girly

I feel you :(

I feel as though people look down on me and would never like to be my friends, so I don't even try.
Yea it's pretty tough. You gotta stay strong <3 I know this might sound corny and you've probably heard it before but someone told me ." Whatever you think, you become"

This is a valuable quote because it's soo true.. When we think of ourselves as weird/ awkward/ unfriendly people then that's what we become right?

Even if you don't believe it, tell yourself positive things like.. " everyone loves me, or i love myself" and soon you will start to believe it.

Soon enough,, you will believe that people love you and you will learn to love yourself. Remember, your stuck in that body for the rest of your life.. so might as well learn to love it early. everyone learns to accept themselves once they get older.. because they realize who they truly are.(my aunt told me this)

I know i know.. i talk too much

·
is no longer coming on
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks

Not any anti-anxiety medication. People who take benzodiazepine medication like Xanax for months will sometimes get bad withdrawal symptoms which includes the anxiety coming back worse, though I doubt it would ever be 10 times worse. Also, if you take SSRI medication like Zoloft or Prozac, your anxiety will probably just go back to normal levels if you stop. That's how it was for me.

Hope things work out for you :)
Hmmm thanks ! I'lll definitly look into zoloft and prozac.. I'm trying to stay open-minded because I really don't know much about the anxiety meds,.. I just go based off of what I read and hear.

·
is no longer coming on
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im just saying...you might not have SA...get a professional to Diagnose it.
But some people like me self-diagnose themselves at first because they have/show the same exact symptoms as people with social anxiety. I think I may have explained it above.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts