Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 48 yr old female. Way older than most on here. I have no family support, no friends, and no man in my life (the least of my worries). I WANT to have friends and someone who loves me, but I'm just not any good at it. I was married once. He referred to me as a "social misfit". I'm miserable, and have been for most of my life. Life sucks, and I just don't see things improving...ever.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Can you go out and do things that challenge your comfort zone a little? Maybe join a book club or hiking club? Perhaps take some community classes or volunteering? I'm not sure what you like but those seem like good places to start if you wanna meet new people and make friends.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Sorry you are feeling so miserable. If you need a band of misfits to talk to, I believe this is the right place, and we are the right people that fit that description.

I signed up for the social shyness and anxiety meetup groups in my geographical area, but have not found the courage to attend even those yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is hard for me to get out. In addition to SA, I have an adopted son who is severely disabled. He is 18, and with me 24/7. I am his only caregiver.

It would be nice to make some contacts on here who can relate to some of what I'm going through.

·
lord of smoothies
558 Posts
No worries, there are people of all age on this forum, it's just that many don't want to reveal their age, understandably. :)

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
I can relate somewhat to your burden. I have spent most of my life helping taking care of handicapped and/or invalids in my family. Nearing 40, my prospects for a half-joyful existence are waning as these burdens have been ongoing, and it feels I'm serving out a life sentence for crimes I may have committed in some unknown past life. Constantly held back by sucky last gens taxing me.

It is increasingly difficult to find the silver lining in the lot I was handed and the situations left for me.

·
Author
242 Posts
I feel the same. I am 38 and nothing to show for. I have also been helping my family with different things, currently I babysit for my sister during the day. I feel there is this weight on my shoulders and expectations from others to be "normal." There is a lot of pressure, people keep asking if I'm seeing anyone or if I have plans. I am so shy that it is impossible for me to meet people. I have no friends either and I get frustrated when people tell me what I should be doing. I hear this a lot, "just go out and meet people" or "If I can do it you can do it" That makes me angry because if I could do all those things I would, i wouldn't be in this situation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel very trapped and isolated by my circumstances. But, if I'm being completely honest, I sometimes use my son as an excuse. I've considered putting him in a residential facility. But, I don't think it would change much in my life. I didn't have any friends before I took him in 12 years ago. Even if it was easier for me to get out, I doubt I'd have the courage to attend a class, club, or group alone. And, if I did manage to force myself to go, I would still be the one on the sidelines looking in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts