Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been wondering about this for months (well... years actually) but never knew who to ask or... where to ask about this. I hope this is in the right section... anyways, if you would hear me out, I would be ever so grateful. :)

I'm a fifteen year old teenage girl who has had a fine life. But... I've ALWAYS had issues with my common sense. And I've searched high and low but couldn't find any answers for this (online at least). I mean, it's gotten so bad that my mom is scared to DEATH for when I start learning how to drive (probably next year...) I always do stupid things, and it causes me to have a tough time in school (and with everyday life).

An example is the time when I actually MICROWAVED my hermit crabs wooden half-log. I saw someone post something about it online (saying how it could destroy any mold or stuff on it... I don't even know). Anyways you can imagine what happened next - luckily no fire was started (just a bunch of smoke), and me being put on the spot. --_-

That's just one story... there's literally not a single day that goes by where I don't do something wrong. I get in trouble for this or that... there's always something. It's getting ridiculous! I always feel like an idiot.

And I've really tried working hard to change this, as everyone online seems to say "well you're just born with common sense... and just gotta think before you do something." Am I just an idiot, or is this some kind of mental condition? (if so, PLEASE tell me what it could be!)

And of course this is a social anxiety site so... I've taken a few quizzes on this and have suspected that I have it, and the quizzes and sites with listed symptoms all sounded very similar to me. I have always kinda been just "there" in the background... I'm not shy per-say, as I will warm up to people... eventually. But when I have to do public things (like raise my hand during a meeting or going to a social gathering) I get really nervous... and dread them until they actually happen, no matter how long that is.

I haven't gone to a doctor and talked about this... I haven't even talked to my parents yet! They don't know I'm on this site. Although they have worried about my common sense issue... and tell me things like "why is this so hard for you?" or "when I was your age I did this just fine!" Which their right. I feel like some weird outcast... like something is wrong with me.

Anyways, does it sound like I have social anxiety? And do you think my common sense issue (that has been with me for years) is actually some kind of mental illness or something or is it just me not thinking? If you read all this, thank you so much. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hello everyone. I have been wondering about this for months (well... years actually) but never knew who to ask or... where to ask about this. I hope this is in the right section... anyways, if you would hear me out, I would be ever so grateful. :)

I'm a fifteen year old teenage girl who has had a fine life. But... I've ALWAYS had issues with my common sense. And I've searched high and low but couldn't find any answers for this (online at least). I mean, it's gotten so bad that my mom is scared to DEATH for when I start learning how to drive (probably next year...) I always do stupid things, and it causes me to have a tough time in school (and with everyday life).

An example is the time when I actually MICROWAVED my hermit crabs wooden half-log. I saw someone post something about it online (saying how it could destroy any mold or stuff on it... I don't even know). Anyways you can imagine what happened next - luckily no fire was started (just a bunch of smoke), and me being put on the spot. --_-

That's just one story... there's literally not a single day that goes by where I don't do something wrong. I get in trouble for this or that... there's always something. It's getting ridiculous! I always feel like an idiot.

And I've really tried working hard to change this, as everyone online seems to say "well you're just born with common sense... and just gotta think before you do something." Am I just an idiot, or is this some kind of mental condition? (if so, PLEASE tell me what it could be!)

And of course this is a social anxiety site so... I've taken a few quizzes on this and have suspected that I have it, and the quizzes and sites with listed symptoms all sounded very similar to me. I have always kinda been just "there" in the background... I'm not shy per-say, as I will warm up to people... eventually. But when I have to do public things (like raise my hand during a meeting or going to a social gathering) I get really nervous... and dread them until they actually happen, no matter how long that is.

I haven't gone to a doctor and talked about this... I haven't even talked to my parents yet! They don't know I'm on this site. Although they have worried about my common sense issue... and tell me things like "why is this so hard for you?" or "when I was your age I did this just fine!" Which their right. I feel like some weird outcast... like something is wrong with me.

Anyways, does it sound like I have social anxiety? And do you think my common sense issue (that has been with me for years) is actually some kind of mental illness or something or is it just me not thinking? If you read all this, thank you so much. :)
Doesn't sound like Social Anxiety. And my feeling is you are just being too harsh on yourself, and maybe your mom's not helping it. I would say you don't need any doctor, but then again I don't like hazarding a guess on such issues.
A bit of nervousness happens to everyone and only the most extroverted feel completely at ease in a public speaking situation. Just look at all the self help books which have sprung up to deal with public speaking.
As for being careful, some of it comes with maturity. Otherwise, you can just think twice before doing something, and consider what could go wrong. And not trust advice over the internet very easily. Reputed sites by reputed people/ agencies are fine, otherwise just think about it before you do it. However, mistakes can and will still be made. Don't stress much about it.
And just to make you feel better, there are too many do's and don'ts about microwaving stuff. People mess it up all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It means a lot to me. :) Well, maybe I don't have social anxiety. I think you're right though... about my mom though. That was just an example though... there's more issues I've had before. Thanks for the help... although tbh I'm not sure you understand my situation (it's really hard to explain)... I still think I have an issue with common sense though, because I do that! Oh well... I don't want say I joined this forum for nothing but... I guess I just have to keep searching for answers... :/

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It means a lot to me. :) Well, maybe I don't have social anxiety. I think you're right though... about my mom though. That was just an example though... there's more issues I've had before. Thanks for the help... although tbh I'm not sure you understand my situation (it's really hard to explain)... I still think I have an issue with common sense though, because I do that! Oh well... I don't want say I joined this forum for nothing but... I guess I just have to keep searching for answers... :/
Hey, thanks for the appreciation. Am glad to help. This forum has a lot to offer other than Soc Anx so you can stick around if you want. Anyway, a diagnosis would best be given by a psychiatrist or psychologist. I have no idea of the DSM scales etc, though others might to help you out and diagnose whether you actually have it.

I probably do not exactly understand your situation, but you can help me by giving me some more examples. Other than the microwave I mean, because that is one confusing machine. I have still little clue as to how I use it for baking cookies though I know well how to burn stuff in there by now.

If you feel you are lacking common sense, look for signs of ADD/ ADHD. Again a psych guy/ gal is your best bet. But google it and see what matches.

If you tell me that you are dumb, I cannot believe you. It is not because I want to be nice or something, but because you have written perfectly logical sentences, in some detail and you seem to get things fast. So I will for sure rule out low IQ.

Ask yourself what common sense is. Microwaving logs is more a lack of technical know-how. But walking down a lonely street in a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night is bad common sense. See the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts