Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But has anyone ever zoned out when having an attack or social anxiety? It's pleasant but I'm wondering if it hurts your brain. By zoned out, I mean, they didn't feel like they were there. It felt like someone else did all the talking for you. Probably a protective mechanism.

And then there's anxiety shutting off. It wasn't social anxiety that shut off (haha, how convenient...), but anxiety from something else. Has that ever happened to anyone here and is it a defense mechanism or does it just mean anxiety is messing up your brain?

And don't forget about not feeling proper negative emotions to certain things. Sometimes I don't react to big things anymore. I guess this is cool, but it gets hard to fake proper anger, etc... especially when what/who you aren't reacting to makes it hard to avoid them or really cause any trouble with them. While I'm sitting there not feeling mad, not even being able to process the facts of the situation, I'm too afraid to have an attitude about it. More concerned about their feelings or being in trouble with them. And someone wants me to have an attitude sometimes.

(I don't want to give out too many details, sorry.)

But on the other hand, it seems to be a blessing, because emotional reactions have slipped out (not to do with this person I'm supposed to judge), and after so much time of not reacting properly and making people question me or feel hurt, of course that on top of the proper reaction in the first place is a lot to handle. The guilt is too much for me, so I am glad I don't really feel much. I, of course, do think a general "If only I hadn't done that..." but also lots of "I wish s/he would stop using that as ammo against me. It's been a long time and they're whipping at my automatic barrier."

There were other times when I was simply missing fear of something I know I should've feared more. Now I know what they mean when they say psychopaths are at a disadvantage when their fear is inhibited. You really do need the emotion. I used to think, "well, they know intellectually that X is Y-harmful. So why would not having the fear of it do anything?" It's more complicated than that. You can't properly assess just how risky something is without the fear and you won't have enough motivation to take enough steps to dodge it, or just prepare yourself.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I don't mean to imply not feeling certain emotions is the same as the zoning out I speak of. I believe the term for that is total disorientation, or depersonalization, or something like that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sometimes when I have really bad panic attacks I get that feeling and its strangely calming to me because I feel like I have no responsibilities or consequences. It is the one time when I don't have social anxiety

·
capricious
4,772 Posts
I've had moments like this, but not really during full panic.

Mostly driving and I zone out, completely blank to the point I don't realize it until a second later when I realize I can't recall anything. This is usually during times I'm extremely depressed and coupled with thoughts of drifting off into a lamp post or driving off a cliff.

The latter is so much so that I'm acutely aware when going up hills/peaks driving extremely slowly and carefully. Just unsure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts