Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shauna The Dead
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start college tomorrow... I really don't wanna go. :b
But I'm going to make myself go anyway.
I wish I'd went a long time ago so I could have had all this school **** over with :(

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
My thoughts are with you Shauna - I did 2 years of college when I was 18-22 (yeah - it took me 4-5 years to get a 2 year degree)... but it was only liberal arts because I had no intense direction. Sometimes waiting is good if it gives you time to figure out what you want to do/be. I just went back to a technical school a year and half ago to retrain for a new field (hard to do as a single mom of a 10 year old but I made it work). It sucks and is really hard but you seem strong and I have a feeling you will gut it out. Take care and just focus on one class at a time like I did - sometimes only on hour at a time helps. Good Luck and I hope you don't need it. Maybe best wishes is more appropriate.

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
Congratulations on giving it a shot. Most people are nervous on the first day of anything, so much more so for anxiety sufferers. They say the average age of college students is now about 28 with so many older learners, so you shouldn't be out of place.

BTW, I saw on your other thread that you want to be a mortician. I come from a long line of funeral directors, so when we would visit our cousins when I was young I would spend the night in the funeral home where they lived (common in rural areas in those days). I thought it was weird but they were totally used to it.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I don't think it is weird at all. I am teased a lot for loving cemeteries... I find them peaceful and relaxing - I could spend hours there. I hate hospitals... not sure why but they really creep me out. I guess I equate death with peace and quiet.

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
I don't think it is weird at all. I am teased a lot for loving cemeteries... I find them peaceful and relaxing - I could spend hours there. I hate hospitals... not sure why but they really creep me out. I guess I equate death with peace and quiet.
I also love walking around old cemeteries. I always wonder about the people and what their lives were like.

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
Me Tooo.... wow - someone who actually understands... thanks
Have you ever seen the PBS show (The Cemetery Show, I think) about people who love touring old cemeteries? Apparently we are not alone, there are even groups for this:).

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
You will be fine, Shauna. You will be seeing social interaction in action. :)

·
Shauna The Dead
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody!

Yeah I'd kinda like to open my own funeral home someday and live upstairs or something. Save me from having to drive to work and itd save me by only owning one building instead of 2.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Thanks everybody!

Yeah I'd kinda like to open my own funeral home someday and live upstairs or something. Save me from having to drive to work and itd save me by only owning one building instead of 2.
That actually sounds like fun - exept for dealing with families of the deceased I guess. I mean, having a lot of people in the first floor of my house a lot of the time would make me nervous.

I do agree with earlier posts that cemeteries are calming. I couldn't really get away with hanging around in the one not far from my house though since its right next to a road in plain view.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts