Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this huge problem with indecision about myself. I cannot make up my mind about stupid things, like what food i like, or what genre of music I like, or what clothes or style I would like to dress in, or how i want myself to be, or who i am, what my personality is. When i try to think about it, i get REALLY anxious.

I feel like nothing, like a blobbish mass of a human rather than a definable person. It sucks in conversation or meeting new people, because they'll ask "what is your favourite book?" and i will have no idea.

I have no clue what sort of person I am. I will write something, like a post for example, and then read it after and be either embarrassed at how stupid i sound or confused because it sounds like someone completely different each time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A little different from me. I know the person I want to be, but I need someone to help me be that person. The problem is that I am too embarrassed to ask anyone to help. Not embarrassed at who I want to be, but embarrassed as in having to ask for help.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Instead of trying to make a profile for yourself just go with what you find appealing. If you like country and rock music then keep listening to both. If you like a certain outfit then wear it. It doesn't matter if it's different than a certain style that you want people to think you're into.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Same thing for me. Well. A little bit different.

I always wanted to grow up to trade stocks. Sound boring? Not to me. One part of controlling millions of dollars every second excites me. The other part of being your own boss, working your own hours attracts me. Lately though, I just get anxious whenever I try to picture myself in the future. I think its fear of achieving. Achieving means getting praise and attention. Can't stand that :p.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know what you mean. In my case, it all goes back to my anxiety and depression. Simply deciding what I want to eat or what movie I want to watch has become a monumental struggle, to the point where I usually just avoid the responsibility and let other people decide for me, much to their annoyance. :um

·
Registered
371 Posts
I feel like I have multiple personalities.. I too sometimes can't make up my mind on stupid things lol.. I don't really even know how to describe myself sometimes..

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,066 Posts
Like anyone there are times when I am confused about who I am but generally I feel that I know who I am. Where I have an issue is with being comfortable being my true self around people, I haven't the discourse or self-esteem to overlook some disapproval of my character

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a hard time pinpointing what I really WANT. All of my bad habits... I'll think, ok this is MY life, I can't WASTE my life like this. But then I get stuck on... what do I consider a waste of life. DO IIII really consider *that* a waste of life?! More importantly, what wouldn't be a waste of life?

·
Banned
497 Posts
I have this huge problem with indecision about myself. I cannot make up my mind about stupid things, like what food i like, or what genre of music I like, or what clothes or style I would like to dress in, or how i want myself to be, or who i am, what my personality is. When i try to think about it, i get REALLY anxious.

I feel like nothing, like a blobbish mass of a human rather than a definable person. It sucks in conversation or meeting new people, because they'll ask "what is your favourite book?" and i will have no idea.

I have no clue what sort of person I am. I will write something, like a post for example, and then read it after and be either embarrassed at how stupid i sound or confused because it sounds like someone completely different each time.
there is a great batch remedie for indecision. i cant rememebr the name of it

have a look on the internet and see if you can find the description for it and the name of the remedie

you can buy batch remeides from boots and holland and barret

put 2 drops in 20ml water . sip 4 times a day

notice a change in 3 weeks

·
Control-Alt-Delete Me
43 Posts
I feel like I have multiple personalities.. I too sometimes can't make up my mind on stupid things lol.. I don't really even know how to describe myself sometimes..
I feel like this!.. Sometimes i'll buy clothes and wear them for a while then a few months later I wonder why I bought them because they look so hideous and can't believe I even went out in them or perhaps this is just my changing taste in styles I don't know but I do tend to struggle with indecision mostly about trivial things.

·
Banned
728 Posts
This is my biggest problem right now. There is nothing i really want to do, yet there are things in life i want. But when it comes to social things, i dont want to go anywhere.

In terms of a job/hobby, if i knew what i wanted to do, and had the oppportunity to do it, i would probably give it a go. But i dont get any chances.

Its so frustrating. Having nothing to do is as bad as having too much to do!

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
I've had this problem in the past,I've gotten much better about it.- I always used to search for clues from others-trying to figure out what would please them.- Always so hesitant about my own feelings and thoughts.- It was as if I was'nt a fully formed person in my own right. Still happens some but I'm much more present to myself and put less emphasis on everyone else.

·
Ex SA Suffer-er lol :)
124 Posts
i think were afraid to make decisions or express ourselves because were afraid of negative judgement about our decision or what we say about ourselves but you got to learn to accept yourself and love yourself for who you are and that your opinion about yourself is more important than the opinion you "think" people have of you which is always negative and false.. people without sa are not used to thinking negative all the time like us so they wont be quick to judge you negatively.. unless theyre negative by nature which makes em a *****. hehe.. relax think bout what you want not how people are going to react to what you want..:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
^Lol

I know what you mean about feeling indecisive...I think...or maybe not. haha No, seriously though, it doesn't just end with if buying a certain top would portray my true sense of style or what I should eat at a restaurant. I almost feel like taking back some of the comments or statements I've made. I know it's not good to regret. But, sometimes after stating my opinion, and after giving it more thought, I would disagree with my old opinion. I know that it's ok to change your mind about things. It just bothers me that people will start to have their viewpoint about me based on the comments and opinions that I've made, which I don't stand by anymore. It's not that I always change my opinion since I do have a strong stance on many issues. I think I just have trouble collecting my thoughts in an efficient manner. They tend to get all jumbled in my brain, which makes it difficult to make a clear decision that reflects my true opinion on the matter. Ok, I shut up now, since I'm sure I lost most of you. haha

·
Registered
3 Posts

oh my GOD i thought that i was the only person who felt like that! i'm always saying "i dont even know what my favorite color is" i'm pretty sure it's pink though.. but i know exactly what you mean, i always feel like i'm not even a person, like i'm just dead or sumthing.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Don't worry about sounding like different people. Everyone has different moods, and I'm sure their posts reflect that, not that anyone even notices.

When it comes to music, and it could be different for everyone, I like music that is emotionally engaging for me. Most of my favorite songs are all from completely random genres from sappy love pop to country to christian rock to vocal trance, but they all greatly appeal to my emotions. Some are sad, adventurous, fun, etc. But anyway, I completely relate to not having an answer for "What kind of music do you listen to?" I can't even name bands I like anymore, even though I download new songs pretty frequently (like 10-20 a month). I just use old ones that I used to label myself with "System of a Down, Sum 41, Relient K, Led Zepp.."

To sum everything up, I think it takes motivation to decide what you like, and unless you are talking about some topic of interest, depression is going to completely hinder you. If I was actually happy, I would probably just unconsciously develop an opinion about my favorite food. Even though I'm not happy, I can tell you what kind of motorcycles I like because it's a hobby (of which I have very few).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts