Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been a lurker on this forums for a while now but I've just hit really hard times and I just wanted some advice...

I'm not really that competent at anything academically. I always make so many mistakes in every subject I learn. I'm attending a local community college to transfer to a university but so far i feel it has not worked out and I haven't chosen a major yet. The problem is I'm not really talented at anything. I have no talents and I don't excel at anything. I'm not good at writing, math, science, music, art, or really anything. I'm short and physically unfit to take a physical career as well. I'm so terrified of the future that sometimes I wonder if it's even worth living. Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice you can give me...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Honestly, a lot of people may not be automatically talented at something... it doesn't mean you can't learn a skill though. It sounds like you're giving up before really trying.

Maybe the thing here is a lack of a goal - maybe having no specific goal in mind is making you not care to try in your courses?

I just wanted to add that the future is overwhelming if you think so far ahead and try to answer every little thing. It doesn't really work that way though. It's natural to think of the big picture, but trying to figure out every little detail... like yeah, I can see that being freaky. Your choices now don't necessarily lock you into anything in the future, if that's what you're scared of.

So with that being said... what do you *want* to do? What goals do you want for yourself? You should figure out what you're interested in, not what you're "talented" in... because if you like something enough, you'll have enough passion and drive to work on it.

I know it's hard to figure out what you like, but you should try making a list of things you like, and things you know you don't like. Try to think of what would make you happy, and what you would absolutely despise.

That's mostly advice in choosing your major anyway.

As for not really trying, is there any help or resources available to you through your school?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am not doing well, I did bad on all of my first exams. However, I just got a grade of 82 for biochemistry and that made me happy because I did study hard, but not my hardest.
There were some questions that wasn't on my study guide, so I screwed up. I had to guess like 5-6 questions.

82 is my highest grade for chemistry so far.. I have taken General Chemistry and a bit of organic chemistry. I got a 63 on my last exam for organic chemistry. I do like Biochemistry, it is interesting, but very difficult to understand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Aristallion: Is there anything that you love reading about, watching videos about, etc.? I was in nursing school for one semester and I found that all of my free time was spent looking up articles about dog nutrition and wolves/wolf-dogs. Canine nutrition is something that fascinates me, so I'm pursuing a degree in biology now. What stuff do you read in your free time? Also, I'd like to add that my first year in college I did awful! I'm on my fourth year of college now(I'll probably have to put in a few more years before I earn my degree) and I'm only taking 10 hours but I am doing so much better and really learning and absorbing the material.

EddieDee: Chemistry is so tough! I'll have to take organic chem for my degree and I've heard it's tough :( But, our grades do not define us!!!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The reason why chemistry is hard is because I had no chemistry background. I should have taken Intro to chemistry in college, but I never did. I do think chemistry is interesting, but too hard. I do feel like I am learning. I might end up with a C again on chemistry which is passing anyways. ;\

·
Registered
509 Posts
Chemistry is the bane of my existence and causes me more pain and frustration than any other class I've ever taken. Yet I still somewhat enjoy it in some way...

·
Registered
71 Posts
what do you *want* to do? What goals do you want for yourself? You should figure out what you're interested in, not what you're "talented" in... because if you like something enough, you'll have enough passion and drive to work on it.
Aristallion, listen to this. I feel like I was in the same place as you, except I jumped in early and thought I knew what I wanted to do. I came into cc as an Art major. Turns out Art was too rigorous for me. I never turned anything in on the deadlines and felt like I wouldn't do well with it as a career. I since changed my major (more than 3 times), but draw occasionally in my spare time.

I changed it to Philosophy because I took an Intro to Phil. class and loved it, but it was a lot more difficult and technical than I'd imagined. It was a lot more systematic than "why do we exist?", and also became too rigorous for me so I changed it into a Minor.

Think about this: What have you always wanted to be ever since you were a child? What did love as a child and dreamed of being?

When I was kid I wanted to be an artist, that's why I chose Art, but I wasn't absolutely dedicated to becoming passionate about it enough to follow through with it as a career. I realized it wouldn't have worked out. Then I remembered I was always drawn to different forms of media. I love watching movies and documentaries, I love the Internet, I love music. I don't make music or movies, but am interested in it, so now my Major is Mass Communications. It's not much, but I just drew on a basic interest of mine and chose a Major that was broad enough to encompass different fields. Probably not the best choice, but it is something I like enough to pursue, so that's my story.

What I'm saying is, you don't have to choose one thing right away. Since changing my majors so many times I've stayed in school a lot longer than I had to, but I felt it was better for me than staying with something I had trouble with.

Draw from your own interests, and if you can't do that think about the classes you've already taken. Which classes were most interesting to you? Are there any subjects that you considered majoring in or thought about pursuing more? And you should also remember that you're most likely not going to have the same career for the rest of your life. I talked to my career counselor (which I highly suggest you do), and she told me that she changed her career more than 5 times in her life. She started out in computers, then in education and other fields, and ended up as a counselor later on. So whatever you choose isn't going to be set in stone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't really have any interests. I don't really do anything. I'm on the Internet a lot watching videos and listening to music. I can't really think about something I'm passionate about. It's hard for me to have fun for some reason. :/

·
Registered
71 Posts
What about when you were a kid? Can you remember the last time you were interested in something? The last hobby you ever had? Any specific videos you like watching or are interested in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My memory is not the best but I remember playing video games a lot, I've watched some movies every now and then, I read manga, played card games as a child, watched youtube videos...
I've outgrown all these things but I still play video games every now and then when my friends or bro wants to play and I watch movies still.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How much would you say you've enjoyed these things? Do you like it enough that you have considered working in games maybe? Is it just a fun passtime? Has there ever been anything in your life you have even passively thought about doing? Ever write a list of possible things you could do? Have you sat down and thought about it?

Again, you don't have to major in something you're absolutely passionate about, but maybe there's something broad that you could do?

Sorry about all the questions, I just really don't think you should give up on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't mind the questions at all haha

I did consider working in games in middle school but my interest in it has waned when I entered high school.

I entered a high school that also did career training and I was in medical but I despised it. I kind of felt like I wasted my childhood looking back on it. :/

·
Registered
71 Posts
You shouldn't really look at it that way. At least you found out what you're NOT interested in, and I think that's just as important as knowing what you are interested in, 'cause I think it narrows it down just a little.

So you know you don't like the medical field, which could possibly tell you other things you're not interested in. Whatever disinterested you about the medical field you would feel disinterested in other things.

I think you just need to try out different things and see how you feel about it. I can understand what it feels like to feel like there's nothing you could do well in or there's nothing you're interested in. My major isn't my absolute greatest passion in life, but I just thought it could get my foot in the door. There's not much else I feel passionate about. I think things will fall into place in time.

There has to have been something you were at least faintly interested in. If not, then I don't think you should worry about it so much. Tons of people get into things they're not terribly interested in. Just don't pick something that will make you miserable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts