Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Star
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When people ask me how old I am it usually involves me giving an indirect answer. I am really uncomfortable with where I am in life in comparison to how long I've lived. I understand the life you live is relative to your unique experiences, and I have accomplished quite a few things along the way, but time is so precious and Ive wasted/continue to waste so much of it. :/

·
bipolar
17,195 Posts
I can relate to that. I usually feel like I don't have the things that most people do at my age. But I also know that if they have been able to hold down a job for a long time, and be able to have a mortgage etc - then they definitely don't have the mental health problems that I do - I think we do the best we can under the circumstances.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have wasted the last 5 years in self pitty,alone with no friends and family and no contact with anyone apart from a trip to get food shopping. I know exactly how you feel because to me i am not 32, the last 5+ years of my life do not exist.

I am not so much uncomfortable with the number, rather just what i have missed

·
Depression Legend
583 Posts
Same here. I hate that I'm 31. I hate it even more when people ask how old I am because it feels like they're judging me if I tell them my age. I've done everything I wanted to in my 20's as far as personal achievement is concerned, so now I'm clueless as to what to do. It's like I'm done with living and the rest of the time I have left will be a waste of time. There is nothing more for me to do.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I feel uncomfortable about it sometimes too although I always give people a direct answer. I think at my age people start to expect things like a family. Women always ask me if I have any kids. It's one thing I was never interested in but there's a ton of social pressure that never fails to make me feel uneasy whenever someone asks.

·
Super Moderator
34,597 Posts
Most people aren't. When you're a kid, you're always too young for everything. When you hit 18, you're finally old enough for many things but you have many more responsibilities. 21 and over, you're always getting older. Over 40, you're "old" and not getting any younger. Over 50, you're officially "elderly".

·
bipolar
17,195 Posts
Most people aren't. When you're a kid, you're always too young for everything. When you hit 18, you're finally old enough for many things but you have many more responsibilities. 21 and over, you're always getting older. Over 40, you're "old" and not getting any younger. Over 50, you're officially "elderly".
Well, I'm glad we got that straightened out.

I've been wondering what was wrong with me for quite some time. :)

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
When people ask me how old I am it usually involves me giving an indirect answer.
Who's asking?

Nothing wrong with 'indirect answers' - it's none of their damn business.

I understand the life you live is relative to your unique experiences, and I have accomplished quite a few things along the way, but time is so precious and Ive wasted/continue to waste so much of it.
Yeah, I think you're only as old as you feel... If you feel like you're wasting your time, though, then maybe you should use this as motivation to... do whatever it is that you think wouldn't be 'wasteful'?

As long as you're still breathing and relatively independent, there is still time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same here. I hate that I'm 31. I hate it even more when people ask how old I am because it feels like they're judging me if I tell them my age. I've done everything I wanted to in my 20's as far as personal achievement is concerned, so now I'm clueless as to what to do. It's like I'm done with living and the rest of the time I have left will be a waste of time. There is nothing more for me to do.
I feel like that constantly, although I still have many things I could (and should) accomplish, but my anxiety and fear keep me inside my bubble.

Being 31 as well, I often feel like I'm at the end of my rope, and don't have the strength to fight anymore.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
You have to stop worrying about what others think about you. That is the basic underlying problem. I am still working on that to this day but I can say I care much less about what anyone thinks about my life than I used to. It's what you think of your life that matters.

And I am ancient esp on this forum, 45, and am fine with that. You are constantly aging and it sure beats the alternative doesn't it? The best part of my life has been the last 10 years and is still going strong.

·
Seriously , never serious
6,456 Posts
I don't give out my age that much actually do forget it my self a lot it was my birthday like over a week ago and I've only just realised it reading this thread when I was working out how old I was , I just plod along through life and deal with what lands infront of me no more no less . age , time , achievement etc don't matter it's about what's right for you right now .

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm the same age as you and I feel exactly the same way. Luckily, I pass for someone in their mid-20's. However I feel like I have wasted a lot of time, like others have said in this thread. And yes, I worry too much about what other people think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts