Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post a song (or two) that stirs nostalgia in you -- that is, it reminds you of a bittersweet memory you yearn to return to.

Optionally, write a blurb about what event/era of your life the song evokes nostalgia for.

Of all my life events, I can honestly say that Kingdom Hearts, as a series, is paramount.

When I got the first installment of KH one Christmas at age 8, I played it for a bit, became frustrated, and cast it aside. However, a family friend revived my interest to give the game a second chance when I found he and his brother had beaten and fallen in love with the game.

So, in about a year span, I thoroughly played through the first Kingdom Hearts, and hell, I loved it. The animation, the story, the characters, the gameplay, the settings, the soundtrack, the acting. I was drawing more than ever. I even drew the good old trio of Sora, Donald, and Goofy as my binder cover, which I kept all throughout middle school. It inspired me so much, I even made board games and card games surrounding the characters, worlds, and plot of KH....I became quite elaborate, to the point that I was never able to finish any of the projects with my mediocre drawing and organizational skills. I've played through every Kingdom Hearts game I own at least twice (usually I try to beat it on proud mode the 2nd time, and search for all items/synthesize ultimate weapons/secret bosses).

If I ever end up working in game design, either designing characters or scripting, I definitely aspire to make something as meaningful as Kingdom Hearts. It forever holds an iron grip in my heart. I can't express how much I love the series in words.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
I love this song...

Back in '95 my older sister was about 16 and she and I bonded over music a lot. She was constantly running away during that time and it was finally decided she'd move to my dads place, so we took one last family vacation before she left and at the end of it while we were in the car waiting for our parents to sign out of the hotel we heard the song on the radio and started talking about how much we both liked it. She couldn't wait to move out so I was trying to play it cool and act like I wasn't affected either but it sucked.

That memory is burned into that song for me like a time capsule. It's not the most important song ever written and it's not even very expertly written in my opinion but it's definitely my all time favorite song due to its associated feelings.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Even though Chrono Trigger is not my favorite RPG, that game is among my top 5 games of all time. I finished it 3 times. Also, its soundtrack is the most beautiful thing ever created on the game industry. About 10 years ago, my brother bought a computer which came with a lot of emulators and roms. I started playing Final Fantasy V because it was the only game translated to portuguese. At the end of the game, I was in love with the genre. In order to play other similar games, I'd have to learn english, because they were all in either english or japanese. I got a dictionary software and started translating every dialogue between the characters. That's how I spent most of my hours of my childhood. I remember I made this friend on school that was helping me pass through some parts of the game where I was stuck. We used to talk a lot about RPG's.

Of all my life events, I can honestly say that Kingdom Hearts, as a series, is paramount.
I never finished any Kingdom Hearts game before, but I will change this someday. I fell in love with that cover, have you seen it before?

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are all really awesome backstories (and the songs are nice, too). Really enjoying everyone's thorough contributions so far. :clap I feel like I'm experiencing the stories you all shared when listening to the songs themselves.

And @ Fenrir Sorrow, you definitely need to finish Kingdom Hearts. At least the main games (KH and KHII). I've not seen that cover, but thank you for sharing! :p I do admit Chrono Trigger has a pretty good soundtrack (never played the game though). Square Enix pretty much never fails to put out great titles.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts

Both take me back to when I was 12-13, experiencing the new things of adolescence and getting my first real crushes. It was a bad time looking back but I remember it fondly.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,469 Posts

Summer of '10, discovering new music like this, happy yet lonely at the same time. Spending long nights just listening and connecting to songs, watching movies, videos til sunrise. Didn't know I was actually happy then to begin with. All before things kind of started going downhill afterward in terms of depression and anxiety. Overall just a very lovely song accompanying that quiet night of summer and though it's still a good song, I just wish I could feel that magic in its entirely as when I first heard it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hmm.

I'd say this one. This song brings me so much nostalgia. It was one of the first trance tracks I ever heard. Back in about 2000, I think. I always remember when I was sitting in the back of the car as we were driving back home, and this song came on from one of my sister's CD's. I didn't even care for music much at the time. But, after I heard this one, I started listening to others and getting as many trance records as I was allowed from my parents. I really miss those times. :b

·
A Mountain With Wings
2,281 Posts
Rugrats + Mya + Mase in a Reptar car sums up just how great the 90s was as a kid.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I don't really have any specific memories wrapped around these, but whenever I listen to them I get a hard case of nostalgia, like a sad yet fond memory of something or some time in the past that is no longer attainable. It's a really weird feeling, kind of happy and sad at the same time. The second one makes me nostalgic of my middle school/high school days because I used to always hear part of that track late at night on Adult Swim bumps.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts

This song is just amazing, the part at the 3:54 mark is easily my favorite. I remember playing Ocarina of Time with my uncle when I was like 5 or 6 years old. It was the first game that I was amazed by, and it was the moment when I knew games would be a part of my life forever. I remember being so amazed by the sense of adventure it gave me. Even though I was a kid, and I was playing as a kid, I felt like I was on an epic adventure whenever I played it. I felt like a hero. Great memories!

Dark Cloud, and this song, brings me back to when I was 9-10 years old. Memories of me and my step brother trying to get as far as we could before we had to get to bed for school the next day. I remember not having a memory card, and having to "marathon" this game, or not shut my ps2 off for days at a time in order to make any substantial progress. Very nostalgic to me.

This song reminds me of me and my step bro playing this game at the laundromat, as our parents did the laundry. I remember we'd go and get ice cream at some store and play this game for about an hour or two as we waited. It was an arcade game so, it's probably pretty rare to find one of these games anywhere now. Makes it all the more nostalgic.

Final Fantasy IX was a huge part of my childhood. This is the song you hear throughout the entire game as you're traveling. The thing that remains a constant in your journey. It reminds me of some of my favorite characters, and locations in any game ever. Not to mention, this was a game I played and loved at a difficult time in my life. It got me through a couple of hardships, without it, I could have came out significantly more damaged. I love it for that.

One of my favorite locations in FF9, mostly because of the music. It just brings out memories in me. Probably one of the most nostalgic songs ever to me.

·
Registered
963 Posts
justice - waters of nazareth

2007. 18, energetic, yearning, unwise and carefree. gf had cheated on me and one of my friends threw a massive house party so of course i went for the distraction. dropped the purest e ive ever had to this day that night and made so many memories, good and bad. not long after i had a diagnosis for all my craziness and this song helped me get through that period, somewhat.

there are more, but i think ill hold on to them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
And @ Fenrir Sorrow, you definitely need to finish Kingdom Hearts. At least the main games (KH and KHII). I've not seen that cover, but thank you for sharing! :p I do admit Chrono Trigger has a pretty good soundtrack (never played the game though). Square Enix pretty much never fails to put out great titles.
I will finish them someday! I could not before because I had to sell my PS2. However, I played KH1 until the Alice in Wonderland part. There's so many amazing games that I didn't have the chance to play. Most of the games I played were from the time when Squaresoft and Enix were different companies. You should play Chrono Trigger some time. You won't regret it!

·
Moron
4,621 Posts
Bought this album at the West Edmonton mall after a visit to Vancouver Island. Pretty much every song on it is good.

This was played usually every Christmas when the accordions came out:

·
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!
3,995 Posts
Couple more

Saw this one in theater as well

Owned this on cassette; played the heck out of that tape!

I remember listening to this one when I was maybe 3 or 4;

This one from elementary school (I actually heard this version before I even knew about the actual song);

Early High School; my dad hated this song (pretty sure he still does!)

Man, I could go on and on and on...

·
Scotland Yard
2,770 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind are all those French chansons that my parents always played on all those carefree holidays in France when I was a child... :sigh

1 - 20 of 99 Posts