Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean think of it, can you believe it, were stuck with this stupid mental ****ing thing, no one gives a care in the world, imagine, what would a normal person think of all this if they found this forum, when I think of it this sounds so craZy, so crazy, they would wonder how this piece of **** disorder even exists in the world

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
I usually say this to people because it's one of the reasons why they may not post a pic of themselves. I think a "normal" persons reaction to this site if they found it would depend on their personality and maturity level.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I didn't believed it existed before I found it myself. aviationboy makes a good point though, if you were normal how much thought would you give to people with SA and for that matter how much do you think for people with other mental illnesses.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I used to think this type of way myself. Went for many years believing that because I had extreme SA that it meant I was 'abormal' as a person. Especially because I took other peoples ignorant assumptions about me in my high school years to be true. It's only much more recently - since finding out just how common SA is - that I've stopped seeing things in that way as I've come to learn that the condition is very far from being a rare thing.

I personally think the most likely reason, for anyone who doesn't suffer from SA not visiting a forum like this is that they just simply don't have a need to - rather than them specifically thinking that it's abnormal. Just as an example of what I mean, I'm sure there must be many cancer support forums out there on various sites - but seeing as I don't suffer from any type of cancer nor know anyone in my day to day life who has it, I don't have any reason for searching for a site like that or registering on one - so don't visit them. It has nothing to do with me thinking that people who suffer from cancer are abnormal. It's just that it's something that I don't know much about, and something which doesn't personally affect me in any way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I consider myself 'normal' if there is such a thing! And i do care. I came across this forum because I was researching SA for a new client. I was delighted to see such a forum exists. Because few of us get through life without hitting on a dark or lonely place at some stage ( various degrees) but also I know many people family included that I would love to have the support of this network.
If I can be of help let me know.
Hugs

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used to think this type of way myself. Went for many years believing that because I had extreme SA that it meant I was 'abormal' as a person. Especially because I took other peoples ignorant assumptions about me in my high school years to be true. It's only much more recently - since finding out just how common SA is - that I've stopped seeing things in that way as I've come to learn that the condition is very far from being a rare thing.

I personally think the most likely reason, for anyone who doesn't suffer from SA not visiting a forum like this is that they just simply don't have a need to - rather than them specifically thinking that it's abnormal. Just as an example of what I mean, I'm sure there must be many cancer support forums out there on various sites - but seeing as I don't suffer from any type of cancer nor know anyone in my day to day life who has it, I don't have any reason for searching for a site like that or registering on one - so don't visit them. It has nothing to do with me thinking that people who suffer from cancer are abnormal. It's just that it's something that I don't know much about, and something which doesn't personally affect me in any way.
Yeah I definitely agree especially with that point you made. I don't think it's because the other people don't care, but more the case that they aren't aware that such an ailment exists. Obviously there are people who are aware of it but I think they choose not to join because they don't suffer from it, they probably feel there is little point in discussing an issue with other people, when they themselves do not suffer from it. I think the only type of "normal" person who would actually be interested in discussing about SA would either be people who are trying to treat it (or more specifically patients who suffer from it), or people researching it for their own personal knowledge (i.e. research papers, affects someone they know)

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Well a ''normal'' person would not feel the need to search for a site like this anyway, ''normal'' people are too busy with facebook!

Unless a person has experienced an illness/disorder then there is no way they can understand how a person like us feels. I used to laugh because my mum and dad have a bird phobia but now i understand how it feels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well that all depends on what your definition of normal is. It seems that all of you have missed the mark as to what normal is, because all you are defining is the difference between us and them; but instead of using that terminology you are substituting us with socially anxious and them with normal. I think part of the problem is that many of you feel that social anxiety is something that only affects a very select few individuals, a belief that is completely false. Bear in mind that there are many other forums, sponsored by many different discussion engines, that deal with social anxiety, anxiety and stress. Just because they don't post here doesn't mean that they don't suffer social anxiety; I would say, given the number of forum engines there are on the web, that social anxiety, anxiety and stress are very real and quite well known afflictions - given that at least 40% of Americans suffer from some sort of anxiety/stress disorder. I hope you keep this in mind the next time you decide to cast a broad judgment of what people believe and don't.
I hope this helps,
-Mel

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey I just found out forums like this existed this week, and all this time I just thought I had "issues". I think it's great to find others like myself out there.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Well that all depends on what your definition of normal is. It seems that all of you have missed the mark as to what normal is, because all you are defining is the difference between us and them; but instead of using that terminology you are substituting us with socially anxious and them with normal. I think part of the problem is that many of you feel that social anxiety is something that only affects a very select few individuals, a belief that is completely false. Bear in mind that there are many other forums, sponsored by many different discussion engines, that deal with social anxiety, anxiety and stress. Just because they don't post here doesn't mean that they don't suffer social anxiety; I would say, given the number of forum engines there are on the web, that social anxiety, anxiety and stress are very real and quite well known afflictions - given that at least 40% of Americans suffer from some sort of anxiety/stress disorder. I hope you keep this in mind the next time you decide to cast a broad judgment of what people believe and don't.
I hope this helps,
-Mel
I 100% agree. Part of my earlier post in here did sort of touch on that. But you've gotten the point across much more clearly. ;-)

I personally think the word 'normal' is pretty much just a pointless label, only too often used by people who have the idea that if others don't fit into their personal (and often very biased)belief of what makes an acceptable person then there's automatically something wrong with them - which in my opinion is a very ignorant and narrow minded view. After having known various people who took that kind of attitude towards me (my SA being one of the reasons) in my past, I've since come to the conclusion that such people aren't worth caring about - and that anyone who is quick to judge others negatively on such a basis obviously has issues of their own.

I don't think it's because the other people don't care, but more the case that they aren't aware that such an ailment exists. Obviously there are people who are aware of it but I think they choose not to join because they don't suffer from it, they probably feel there is little point in discussing an issue with other people, when they themselves do not suffer from it. I think the only type of "normal" person who would actually be interested in discussing about SA would either be people who are trying to treat it (or more specifically patients who suffer from it), or people researching it for their own personal knowledge (i.e. research papers, affects someone they know)
Yup, exactly. At the same time though, I'm sure you do get the odd person who comes across a site like this, or might hear about it from someone else, and automatically think or say something negative. We'd be kidding ourselves, if we denied that people of that type do exist out there. But at the same time, I do think it's a bit of an over-generalisation to assume that everyone who doesn't suffer SA thinks like that. And really it makes sense that people who have never experienced/don't suffer from SA rarely post here, as the site exists mostly for those who have/do.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, I know of a few people who would think we all are spoiled rotten and using SAD as an excuse to hide away from the challenges of the world. Some people just never will understand that many of us would give our left n*t, or whatever, to be able to operate with a "normal" rational mind. So frustrating! Oh, well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Right on bht96, normal healthy people have life sorted compared to SA sufferers, yet many of them waste it all trivialities.

To the OP:

Not all "normal" people will be quick to judge this site. Their are some decent people out there.It's just very hard to find them :)

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
I think this forum would simply sound outrageous to a normal person. A community where socially anxious people get together? No freakin way!
Heh, that does sound very contradictory when you say it like that.

Anyway, don't we all want to be those normal people who are in such a position that they can completely ignore places like this? Blah.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah, I know of a few people who would think we all are spoiled rotten and using SAD as an excuse to hide away from the challenges of the world. Some people just never will understand that many of us would give our left n*t, or whatever, to be able to operate with a "normal" rational mind. So frustrating! Oh, well.
Very true. Some might be nice while many others would do the slam dance. They'd call you weak minded. Tell you to man up, toughen up, get some thicker skin, grow some balls, pick yourself up by your bootstraps, just do it, quit being a whiney little B****, etc. The same folks that tell suicidal people to go ahead and kill themselves already or a jumper to jump.

I've been a member of some other groups somewhat related and of course have seen many folks come in and post ugly comments like that.

That's my problem with life. Frustrated to all get out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.