Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My psychologist frequently says that you shouldn't read the Internet because "it's just full of angry people." When I disagree, she won't have it. Same with whenever I mention any skepticism about acupuncture and other alternative treatments and the idea of organic food being healthier (they do actually have some relevance to issues I face, not completely random things).

She also seems to think that because her social anxiety went away that means that everyone else's will through the same methods. She distorts the meaning of neuroplasticity to make it seem like you can change anything and even make pain go away.

I don't want to continue seeing this person, but it's hard to find information about psychologists in town and most are booked and seem not to care about science.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I had a familiar issue, except it was with my psychiatrist. I had to deal with seeing him for a long time because there was no one else at the time. It was horrible and I was always anxious when the time came to having to see him again. I finally went to my family doctor and he sent out a referral for me to see a new psychiatrist. Things worked out fine and I am now seeing a different psychiatrist. Were not always going to get along with everyone. Do you have a family doctor you can go to and tell about this issue? I hope you get to find someone new soon. Best of luck to you.

·
likes sloths.
265 Posts
the one time I saw a therapist, the crazy ***** got offended that I didn't believe in God, and then insisted that we refer to things that bothered me as "negative energies." really, huge regret that I paid for two more sessions.

not all psychologists are good psychologists. why the f are you paying for that ****ty service?! that's not a normal conversation! they're supposed to guide, not push their sensibilities onto you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a familiar issue, except it was with my psychiatrist. I had to deal with seeing him for a long time because there was no one else at the time. It was horrible and I was always anxious when the time came to having to see him again. I finally went to my family doctor and he sent out a referral for me to see a new psychiatrist. Things worked out fine and I am now seeing a different psychiatrist. Were not always going to get along with everyone. Do you have a family doctor you can go to and tell about this issue? I hope you get to find someone new soon. Best of luck to you.
It's terrible when you have a lousy psychiatrist when there are no (or limited) options. That's good that your family doctor was able to refer you to a better one. I'm considering asking my doctor for a referral as well, but I just started seeing him and am not sure if I trust him yet. Just saw a doctor for chronic pain today who began by asking if I'd tried all these bogus treatments like cranial sacral therapy, and it's a good thing that my answer was yes, because it wouldn't surprise me if he would insist on it. Anyway, it's worth a shot with my primary care doctor that I started seeing. Thank you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the one time I saw a therapist, the crazy ***** got offended that I didn't believe in God, and then insisted that we refer to things that bothered me as "negative energies." really, huge regret that I paid for two more sessions.

not all psychologists are good psychologists. why the f are you paying for that ****ty service?! that's not a normal conversation! they're supposed to guide, not push their sensibilities onto you.
It's troubling that some therapists/psychologists are able to get away with such unethical practices. Sorry that you had to deal with that BS. My first therapist didn't bother me about religion (I wasn't really an atheist at that point), but one of the first things he said was, "what do you have to complain about since you're tall, white, and male (which ironically, he also happened to be)." Another therapist was a Christian combined with some other religions and New Age woo and mentioned light-tunnel near death experiences saying that Heaven exists and if I died now I wouldn't see it. No "negative energy" stories with her, but the current psych says similar sorts of things. Paying for that nonsense is infuriating. Wise move on your part getting out quickly.

I have considered doing so myself for awhile, but whenever I call looking for others, they're either full or promote woo and don't seem very understanding. There's also a special circumstance of needing a signature that has made me worry about leaving in case I can't get the help I need elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It's terrible when you have a lousy psychiatrist when there are no (or limited) options. That's good that your family doctor was able to refer you to a better one. I'm considering asking my doctor for a referral as well, but I just started seeing him and am not sure if I trust him yet. Just saw a doctor for chronic pain today who began by asking if I'd tried all these bogus treatments like cranial sacral therapy, and it's a good thing that my answer was yes, because it wouldn't surprise me if he would insist on it. Anyway, it's worth a shot with my primary care doctor that I started seeing. Thank you.
Maybe give it a little time with your doctor until you feel comfortable enough to trust him then ask for the referral. Again, hope it works out for you. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I guess just try as many as you can. Create an appointment for months in advance if need be.

A good psychologist will listen attentively and be open minded. Nobody is the same as you but they can do their best to put themselves in your shoes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts