Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else have this? I think I might...

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
You'd have to visit a neurologist to be sure, get your right hemi checked out. I'm not familiar with this type of learning disability, which is a pleasant surprise to me, but it sounds like a categorical overlap with Asperger's or right hemisphere damage (either neurogenic or traumatic brain injury).

I should point out that the term 'learning disability' is almost entirely a school-based term. It's used when other etiologies (causes) are ruled out first. IOW Johnny doesn't have ADHD, low IQ, dyslexia, communication disorders, low verbal scores, etc etc but he still has an apparent gap between his ability and his performance on academic standards. So... let's call it 'learning disabled'. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist (it probably does, and it's probably neurogenic), but it's not something that shows up on any of our school-based tests. (Remember, we don't normally do Xrays or EEGs in schools.)

Jess, it sounds like whatever is going on in your mind, it is really distressing you. It's probably really frustrating and maybe scary. But I have to tell you, I don't think you are going to find the answers on here, or on the internet, or by asking around. You should see both a psychiatrist and neurologist and get those two opinions. That is what they do, day in and day out, is diagnose and treat neurological problems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, NVLD is more than an academic learning disability. Neuropsychologists have agreed that it also reaches into the social/emotional areas. And as Caedmon said, it does overlap with Asperger's because of the right brain issues. NVLD is a lot more significant than other learning disabilties because research done by Dr. Rourke and others over the last 30 years has found people with NVLD are at higher risks for suicide, depression, anxiety, and developing psychiatric disorders.

I could write a thesis paper about how serious this disorder is, but if you think you have it the best thing to do is call around for a neurologist or psychiatrist that has experience with it.

There is a whole lot more to this disorder than things like "Johny learns math a little slower than other students." Dr. Rourke has noted that severly affected adults that did not receive proper intervention as children often have severe psychatric disorders as adults and functionality difficulties compared to other adults. IQ score discrepancies around 10 are normal, but if the VIQ is greater than the PIQ by 15 points or more NVLD is very possible. Severly affected individuals with VIQ>PIQ scores in the range of 40 points or more do happen and the result is a very significant impaired functionality. If you don't get a doctor that understands what this disorder means they may simply dismiss it because of the learning disability name attached to it, but a doctor knowledgeable in the severity of this disorder will make a lot of difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts