Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not looking for a cure-all drug, but a drug that works similar to the ways benzos work. I just need a drug that will get me through a short presentation or a stressful event. Since i can't get my hands on benzos or any medicine that require prescriptions, what other medicines are out there that can relieve my anxiety for the short-term?

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Lyrica, Hydroxyzine, Inderal, are some to name a few.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that Inderal only relieves physical symptoms of anxiety, not the psychological. Is that true? Actually, i don't really care if i feel nervous, but will it help me LOOK less nervous?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I heard that Inderal only relieves physical symptoms of anxiety, not the psychological. Is that true? Actually, i don't really care if i feel nervous, but will it help me LOOK less nervous?
No, it's just more typical for that to happen. If it's effective for you and works as it should then you will look and act less nervous.

If you're a singer or something or do some kind of energetic performance and want to try it out, be sure to test it before actually performing in front of others. Too high a dose of inderal makes it impossible for me to feel any kind of excitement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not looking for a cure-all drug, but a drug that works similar to the ways benzos work. I just need a drug that will get me through a short presentation or a stressful event. Since i can't get my hands on benzos or any medicine that require prescriptions, what other medicines are out there that can relieve my anxiety for the short-term?
um guys, he said he can't get any prescriptions. all i see are rx drugs in here lol..anyway that narrows his options down to almost nothing.

i'm going to give you the most controversial, but ultimately most effective drug for your situation.

alcohol. acts on gaba the same way and makes you much more confident. easy as walking into a store and buying it...can't get more convenient than that mate.

basicallly the same stuff and fine for occassional usage only.

just don't get too drunk or you'll be found out. and for god sake cover up the breath and know your limits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alcohol was actually one of my considerations if i couldn't find any prescription alternatives.
What kind of alcohol would you recommend? Beer or hard liquor? ofcourse, i wouldn't want to get hammered after one shot of everclear, but i think hard liquor could get me relaxed quicker..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alcohol was actually one of my considerations if i couldn't find any prescription alternatives.
What kind of alcohol would you recommend? Beer or hard liquor? ofcourse, i wouldn't want to get hammered after one shot of everclear, but i think hard liquor could get me relaxed quicker..
honestly man, it's hard to say. different alcohol affetcs people differently. you need to find this out for yourself. personally, if i was giving a speech, i'd have a few shots of whisky until i killed my nerves.

just be very careful, and do not use it regularly, or you'll be digging a very deep hole.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
There's not really a Nonbenzodiazepine aimed directly at anxiety although the Z's, (Zopiclone etc) do have calming effects - but they are for insomnia and won't do a very good job at chilling you out. The other Nonbenzodiazepines tend to be given to older people in nursing homes as a form of sedation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's not really a Nonbenzodiazepine aimed directly at anxiety although the Z's, (Zopiclone etc) do have calming effects - but they are for insomnia and won't do a very good job at chilling you out. The other Nonbenzodiazepines tend to be given to older people in nursing homes as a form of sedation.
I agree. Z-Drugs can be very sedating. Although they greatly effect you're memory and driving. I have blacked out many times from taking Ambien, especially in conjunction with alcohol. It also is IMO pretty darn euphoric. I would even prefer it over marijuana.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.