Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what drug options there were to treat this disorder other than benzos-those are highly addictive, and I do not want to play with them.
Any suggestions?

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I think the government has the good stuff stashed in the basement of the White House or something.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't think you would even be perscribed a benzo at first. According to my tharpist they noramlly try SSRI's(anti depressents) first. You should talk to your therapist about your concern with benzos and that you would rather try something else. I don't think they are highly addicting either. They have a risk of addiction with chronic use but I don't think it's super high.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I haven't seen any non-dependance forming drugs other than propanalol which isn't psychoactive anyway, unless people find cannabis to be effective for SA I don't think there are any. Even the ssri's cause withdrawls.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't think you would even be perscribed a benzo at first. According to my tharpist they noramlly try SSRI's(anti depressents) first. You should talk to your therapist about your concern with benzos and that you would rather try something else. I don't think they are highly addicting either. They have a risk of addiction with chronic use but I don't think it's super high.
I haven't found them to be very addictive either, physically at least. It depends on the dosage, and whether you actually take them as perscribed. I only take .5mg Xanax on most days of the week, but when I go without it, I don't experience any side-effects or withdrawl.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
I haven't seen any non-dependance forming drugs other than propanalol which isn't psychoactive anyway, unless people find cannabis to be effective for SA I don't think there are any. Even the ssri's cause withdrawls.
Even propranolol can cause dependence ;). If used daily, then heart rate increases upon discontinuation due to the rebound effect of the beta-adrenoreceptors no longer being blocked.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Buspar is one to try. It works for some people, it's mainly beneficial in augmenting an anti-depressant though. Personally speaking I did find some benefit from it, but the effects are quite minor and I had chronic constipation from it so I just didn't bother using it anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts