Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in exactly the same situation, I cant seem to have motivation to do anything, and at the same time I am dependent on my parents. I see a doc, and I contacted the Disability Services department at my uni to see if anything can be done to help me be a functioning independent student. Do the same. Let them know your current psychological state(lack of energy, concentration, depression, anxiety, etc) prevents you from functioning normally. Ask for a school psychiatrist, but it will be better to ask your parents to help you find a psychiatrist outside of the college to diagnose you. If your university has a disability service, which they should, give them an email about your issues, they will treat it in confidence and sensitivity. Its better to do that than to drop out of college altogether; there is nothing to loose.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You might not want to hear this, but from reading your post, it sounds like you're just making excuses for yourself. Blaming your SA, low self esteem, etc. for your lack of motivation. I wouldn't be too surprised if you are fully capable of succeeding with school, but if you carry yourself with a self defeating attitude, nothing is going to work out for you.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
mjbcdn said:
soma said:
You might not want to hear this, but from reading your post, it sounds like you're just making excuses for yourself. Blaming your SA, low self esteem, etc. for your lack of motivation. I wouldn't be too surprised if you are fully capable of succeeding with school, but if you carry yourself with a self defeating attitude, nothing is going to work out for you.
Why thank you for such an enlightening analysis.
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I'll throw my opinion on the issue myself. I'm going to agree, at least partly, with soma here. Motivation comes from within and constant self-defeating attitudes don't help. I understand doing things can be hard when you don't have the desire to them, but doing things when you don't want to is what separates the men from the boys (so to speak). Sometimes you just reach a point where you have to just suck it up and do it, motivation or not, because you know that it is the right thing to do, school work definatly applies here.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm with you guys. I have 4 projects due within the next few weeks, and I just don't feel like doing them... Meh.

xoxo
Maggi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ha, I don't think I've EVER been motivated. Not for the sole purpose of getting work done, anyway. Right now the only thing that's motivating me is wanting to get into a decent college so that I can get the hell out of here :D.

I only wish that had worked three years ago, so that I wouldn't have to be dealing with only a 2.86 GPA now. But noooo, I had more important things, like dealing with SA (and fantasizing about the hot foreign exchange student in bio) to think about then. *slaps former self upside the head*

So no, sorry, I don't have any suggestions :stu.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I often don't have motivation to get my school work done, but my fear of failure is what drives me to get things done when I don't want to.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
mjbcdn said:
I just don't have any kind of motivation anymore, coupled with the fact that I have a terrible memory, extremely low self-esteem and social anxiety.
I completely relate to this; it's exactly what I'm going through right now. I have started seeing a counselor (pretty much at my advisor's insistence), but it's going to be a very slow process. I can't find the motivation most of the time, and even when I can, I still have serious concentration issues. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the semester.

·
Registered
127 Posts
For 5 years now, i've been trying to get myself to enjoy studying. So far i have failed. Same with trying to enjoy life. I have reached the conclusion that it is impossible to enjoy something using willpower alone. Including life.

On a positive note i do study more than i used to. But i still don't enjoy university even though i get much better marks than in highschool. Its a tradeoff. If you want better marks, you must study more and therefore be doing something you don't enjoy. So unless you can find a way to enjoy studying, you're not going to be happy even if you study hard and get good marks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i know what you mean. i have an exam on thursday for one of the hardest classes i've ever taken and i haven't started studying yet. i just end up staring at my text or at the wall. lol, i'm definietly going to pass this exam

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a lot of studying to do, but I have no motivation whatsoever. I always do everything at the very last minute, that is if I do it. So far I've never messed up real bad, I think I need something to go seriously wrong, like getting kicked out of school? :stu then maybe I'll start doing my work on time??

·
Registered
72 Posts
soma said:
You might not want to hear this, but from reading your post, it sounds like you're just making excuses for yourself. Blaming your SA, low self esteem, etc. for your lack of motivation.
This probably will sound so wrong and off-topic, but I kind of believe that EVERYONE who thinks they have SA is blaming this so-called disorder that may (it may not) be imaginary and using it as an excuse for all the stuff that goes wrong in their life (e.g., lack of friends, lacks of social life in general, being misheard, being misunderstood, etc., etc.)

Don't hit me. :hide

·
Registered
127 Posts
duped said:
This probably will sound so wrong and off-topic, but I kind of believe that EVERYONE who thinks they have SA is blaming this so-called disorder that may (it may not) be imaginary and using it as an excuse for all the stuff that goes wrong in their life (e.g., lack of friends, lacks of social life in general, being misheard, being misunderstood, etc., etc.)
If you had friends, a social life, etc. you wouldn't have SA. That's the very definition of it.

duped said:
Don't hit me. :hide
:spank

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
jauggy said:
duped said:
Read the Coping forum. People blame SA on things that non-SA related all the time.

·
Registered
775 Posts
On top of my SA, my test-taking anxiety is pretty high too, and my paper-writing anxiety is just ridiculous. You just don't get very much schoolwork done when you're just a big bundle of anxiety all the time, and it's combined with very little motivation to do well and a constant fear of failure.

College is such a sham. TV is much more valuable in the overall spectrum of life, IMO.

·
Registered
127 Posts
kikachuck said:
duped said:
Read the Coping forum. People blame SA on things that non-SA related all the time.
Which thread in particular on the coping forum? OK SA cannot be blamed for EVERYTHING wrong that happens in your life but things like lack of social life, friends - i believe it can for those.

I do agree with you though kikachuck. There are some things that have nothing to do with SA.

I have to admit that the attitude here is a bit different than on the Coping Forum and it is different from the Frustration forum too. Had the original poster posted his frustration on the Frustration forum he would have recieved much more sympathetic replies. The responses in this topic have been much more forthright. This is not bad as it allows for different perspective.

Another thing i've noticed about the Student forum is that there seems to be less mod intervention here as not one thread here has been locked. Though maybe that's because the topics are so different, or maybe because the mods are too busy patrolling the other forums.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i agree. anyway, back on topic, i have the same problem with motivation at school. i used to be able to click my fingers and work for a few hours straight. at the moment im just getting so frustrated that i have no attention span and seem to have spent the last term unconcious, not knowing a thing theyre going on about that i actually walked out of an exam on tuesday. i think it may be down to depression though. just my two cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts