Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
black celebration
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to give up drinking. I've blacked out from drinking three times already, and completely not remembering a stretch of time during which I was a drunken fool is the worst feeling in the world.

This is going to be difficult, because I always always drink before any social event, and I always drink to get drunk. Perhaps if I can't give up drinking completely then I can at least limit myself to a few drinks. Here's hoping!

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Blackouts are caused by drinking a large amount of alcohol in a short period of time. It's not so much how much you drink over the whole night but how much you drink in one hour. So stay away from shots and hard liquor and "pre-gaming". I didn't start having blackouts till I was 28 and now I get them whenever I go overboard in a short period of time. Nothing bad has happened but it really pisses me off that I don't remember this one epic party (everyone dressed in drag) because I had too much at the pre-party.

From wiki:

"Subsequent research has indicated that blackouts are most likely caused by a rapid increase in a person's blood-alcohol concentration. One study, in particular, resulted in subjects being stratified easily into two groups, those who consumed alcohol very quickly, and blacked out, and those who did not black out by drinking alcohol slowly, despite being extremely intoxicated by the end of the study."

·
black celebration
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blackouts are caused by drinking a large amount of alcohol in a short period of time. It's not so much how much you drink over the whole night but how much you drink in one hour. So stay away from shots and hard liquor and "pre-gaming". I didn't start having blackouts till I was 28 and now I get them whenever I go overboard in a short period of time. Nothing bad has happened but it really pisses me off that I don't remember this one epic party (everyone dressed in drag) because I had too much at the pre-party.

From wiki:

"Subsequent research has indicated that blackouts are most likely caused by a rapid increase in a person's blood-alcohol concentration. One study, in particular, resulted in subjects being stratified easily into two groups, those who consumed alcohol very quickly, and blacked out, and those who did not black out by drinking alcohol slowly, despite being extremely intoxicated by the end of the study."
Thanks for the information! That makes a lot of sense, and looking back, I really did basically chug liquor before blacking out. So now, since I don't want to totally stop drinking cold turkey, I will resort to beer and limit myself to only one higher alcohol content drink per night. Or none.

·
black celebration
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay...Sunday night I drank a bit, got tipsy, played bananagrams, went home and slept. I successfully stopped myself from getting drunk. Score.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts