Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined this forum (surfed in from google, woohoo) and I was curious:

I have mild depression. I never wanted to admit to having it until I realized it was really hurting me in college (about sophomore year)....I am now a senior.

I've tried a few different drugs...Zoloft was the first, then Wellbutrin SR, and then this other one Celexa, I believe. (I used generics, so I hope I am right on the brand names.)

Anyway. Out of ALL of those, Zoloft was the only one that worked for me but it started to give me REALLY bad headaches. Wellbutrin made me feel like I constantly had to puke, especially at night before bed, same with Celexa.

I basically gave up taking medication and now I just see a counselor.

More than anything I have REALLY bad paranoia and anxiety. I am a FEMALE engineering student among many MALE students and I constantly feel as if they all hate me. I have only had one or two people be openly hostile to me while we were doing a group project (hey they might have just been stressed, who knows?) but generally, when I walk into a classroom, I feel as if the entire room secretly hates me. And wants me to do poorly. Or something. IDK.

To make matter worse, I have prettyyy bad ADD that was undiagnosed until now. I am now on Adderall 10mg per day. I like the fact that it gives me more focus than before, more energy, and the whole lack of appetite thing is great as I am trying to lose weight anyway. (woo for added bonuses!) But I have heard it can make you REALLY paranoid and even make you go completely bonkers on people. Is that true? If you are already really paranoid and have bad social anxiety??

Any thoughts/suggestions/stories would be great.
Thanks,
Kate :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you have paranoia, and typical antidepressants dont work, chances are an atypical antipsychotic would be beneficial. Antipsychotics are often used for anxiety and much of what you describe. Abilify would be the best one as it has the least side effects and it more of a dopamine and serotonin system stabilizer than an actual antipsychotic like haldol. It wont impair cognition either.

Dont be afraid of the stigma of antipsychotics it could REALLY help you. I am very similair to you and take abilify and it is WONDERFUL and i was so against anti psychotics for so long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have paranoia, and typical antidepressants dont work, chances are an atypical antipsychotic would be beneficial. Antipsychotics are often used for anxiety and much of what you describe. Abilify would be the best one as it has the least side effects and it more of a dopamine and serotonin system stabilizer than an actual antipsychotic like haldol. It wont impair cognition either.

Dont be afraid of the stigma of antipsychotics it could REALLY help you. I am very similair to you and take abilify and it is WONDERFUL and i was so against anti psychotics for so long.
Hmm thanks for your reply. I guess trying it won't hurt! I'll talk to my doctor and see what he says. Mostly I hated the fact that all anti-depressants I ever tried made me feel sick to my stomach or gave me headaches!!

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Amphetamine is the only thing working for my social anxiety and i beleive antipsychotics would take away that property to the major involvement of D2 and D3 in social anxierty, besides that know that your at risk for a permanent parkinsonlike movement disorder, because you know, the stigma is there for a reason.

I did get bad paranoia but the addition of candesartan, B12 and nebivolol negated that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amphetamine is the only thing working for my social anxiety and i beleive antipsychotics would take away that property to the major involvement of D2 and D3 in social anxierty, besides that know that your at risk for a permanent parkinsonlike movement disorder, because you know, the stigma is there for a reason.

I did get bad paranoia but the addition of candesartan, B12 and nebivolol negated that.
I am sorry but I have no idea what you meant by your reply. Amphetamines are better for your paranoia? Or worse? o_O;

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
I am sorry but I have no idea what you meant by your reply. Amphetamines are better for your paranoia? Or worse? o_O;
There's social anxiety and paranoid like anxiety, amp sometimes made me feel like ppl would want to attack me, wich is completely unrelated to my social anxiethy, at the same time it caused a dramatic reduction in my SA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's social anxiety and paranoid like anxiety, amp sometimes made me feel like ppl would want to attack me, wich is completely unrelated to my social anxiethy, at the same time it caused a dramatic reduction in my SA.
Oh I see. Yeah when I was on 25mg of Adderall per day (not mine) I was sitting in the library typing violently at my comp to try to finish an essay that was due in a few days. Then my friend came in and started a brief convo with me. But I was SO intense and into the convo b/c of the Adderall. And then the librarian came up and asked us in a long winded way to be quiet even though we were in the computer room where talking is allowed. I gave her this look like I would kill her with my bare hands and she immediately left us alone. And then I felt like for a second I was actually going to murder this woman. And then I turned around and promptly forgot about the whole ordeal as soon as I re-read the first sentence of what I was writing. It was scary. it's like "don't piss me off when I'm on adderall." O_O; :um

·
Registered
716 Posts
Oh I see. Yeah when I was on 25mg of Adderall per day (not mine) I was sitting in the library typing violently at my comp to try to finish an essay that was due in a few days. Then my friend came in and started a brief convo with me. But I was SO intense and into the convo b/c of the Adderall. And then the librarian came up and asked us in a long winded way to be quiet even though we were in the computer room where talking is allowed. I gave her this look like I would kill her with my bare hands and she immediately left us alone. And then I felt like for a second I was actually going to murder this woman. And then I turned around and promptly forgot about the whole ordeal as soon as I re-read the first sentence of what I was writing. It was scary. it's like "don't piss me off when I'm on adderall." O_O; :um
Adderall can have some weird effects. It can definitely make one more irritable and agitated, and if you have any underlying bipolarity, it can throw you into a mixed or (hypo)manic state.

Does your paranoia manifest as actually believing (i.e. delusionally) that people want you to fail and then harboring resentments toward them about it, or having "intrusive thoughts" and then becoming anxious about it? There is a major difference. The first is psychotic, whereas the second is OCD. They can manifest superficially similarly, but they are not at all the same (although some OCD intrusive thoughts can turn into delusions, but this is rare). Have you been evaluated for OCD?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Kate

Welcome, Im new as well, you have a similar situation to me, I have tried many anti-depress tablets and nothing worked, Im still trying diffrent ones, have been on them for the last 8 months, I hope you are ok anyway. Thanks Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts