Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(note to self: stop with the smiths references)

I'm nineteen and I have no job experience, no volenteer experience, no experience except highschool really (and no involvements in that in the past two years). I am scared just to make a resume because I have nothing to put on it! I am terrified of the idea of fastfood or any retail = people. What is a good first job for someone who is scared of people? I really especially scared of applying to jobs, and I have no friends who would be there to support me (my pride eats away at my common sense, I just can't approach friends for help). I always forget my address or phonenumber or SIN when it comes time to write it down. It's dreadful. I can't even write positive things about myself - like my good qualities, I would have to have somebody else tell me what they are. And since I don't have experience I have no references. Who on earth would hire me? And once someone did, how on earth would I cope? I neeed to do something though, I need to keep busy and get out of my house more and everything and be on the go. But I am so used to being so still.

My main concern though, is what kind of jobs should I be applying for? What kind of jobs are out there where I can be behind the scenes that won't provoke my anxiety?

:afr

·
Registered
89 Posts
I really cant think of too many jobs that someone with sa would want to do but i know someone who said they were probaly gonna clean hotels or general cleaning, just and idea.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My first job was as a cashier at a small grocery store. Yeah, you have to see lots of people, but the cashier is not expected to make small talk with the customer. You say "hi" when they get to you, ring them out, bag their groceries, say "thank you" when you had them their receipt, and you're done.

I've also worked quite a bit with children -- what about getting a job at a daycare or something? You'll still need to interact with your co-workers and the parents, but most of the day you're just hanging out with kids.

Good luck!

·
Registered
408 Posts
There are lots of office jobs such as file clerk and 'office assistant' that don't require tons of contact with people.

Also you might be surprised what you can handle...I have severe SA and I have worked 'Front Desk' jobs and I do fine at them even.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I think that after I get into it, I'll probably be okay. At least, that's what everyone tells me. But it's getting started that really worries me most. I have no idea how to find any of these jobs either, so that's a bummer. My province really sucks for finding jobs too, it's in debt and just generally ungood. I think my biggest fear is working somewhere that my coworkers are potentially people I went to highschool with.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I can relate to what you say. I'm 21 and i had never had a job. Just recently I've been thinking of getting a job but i'm just scared becuase my resume is not long like other people with so many experiences. Also cause of my shyness (but i'm working on it). But my counselour said to get some help in my university at the career services and see if i can make a resume with there help. I did do some volunteer services but i just hope that will be good enough.

Hmm I'm thinking of jobs that don't involve a lot of interaction with people...I think like others have said the library or housekeeping at a hotel.

I do hope you find a job that works for u. Good luck! =)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to be in that position, of not having any jobs because I was so shy. I used to behave nervous at interviews and I had so many of them, and sent more application forms and no one ever got back to me.

The first job I could get easily was working in fast food but I hated it. It isn't just putting up with the customers but trying to sound clear and speak up over the constant noise. I always got embarassed.

I've been unemployed for a long time between jobs and it's usually down to my shyness that makes me lose out. People working in unemployment offices assume that someone out of work for as long as I was either meant that I was lazy or there was something wrong with me. In the latter it was because I was shy but I can't prove it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts