Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not one friend and im tired of it. I havent had a friend for 15 years now. Its almost unbelievable actually. I have just grown to accept the fact and just live with it...

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,816 Posts
Make some here archenemy. I'm sure you will find a compatible minion here to assist you with world domination :)

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Same here. How can I expect to make friends when I

1. Never go to a party,
2. Never hang out at lunch
3. Never call someone
4. Have intimacy issues: Rarely connect and withdraw easily when connecting

Have tried to change but that feels even worse than being alone, so why bother.

·
bipolar
17,184 Posts
Hey - Welcome back to The Void! I can understand how you guys feel but I guess you really need to make the effort to meet new people. I don't mean to sound harsh. Maybe try going to meetup groups or something - you never know who you'll meet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
you really need to make the effort to meet new people. I don't mean to sound harsh.
Yea exactly and its not harsh at all, i am pushing myself and making the effort despite crippling side effects, i have been alone and isolated from everyone and anything for 6 years, its hard but if you want it bad enough you will find a way

·
bipolar
17,184 Posts
Yea exactly and its not harsh at all, i am pushing myself and making the effort despite crippling side effects, i have been alone and isolated from everyone and anything for 6 years, its hard but if you want it bad enough you will find a way
yes that's true - I know (with me anyway ) that desperation is great motivator. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TO don36

Whats up don36....no listen to this. I am a newcomer to this state.my husband as usual has a ton of friends already. I tried making friends with 4 of his buddys wives. I was nice and friendly...all that crap. I asked each of the chicks separately would they like to go shopping or stop over to see our new house anytime! They all told me they dont shop and they dont hang out. I was hurt i felt like they slapped me in my face. So i avoid all of these people now. I do not go with my husband when he visits these people. I stay home alone. Im done trying. Thatwas very rude of them and they know im new here...what do u think?

·
bipolar
17,184 Posts
Whats up don36....no listen to this. I am a newcomer to this state.my husband as usual has a ton of friends already. I tried making friends with 4 of his buddys wives. I was nice and friendly...all that crap. I asked each of the chicks separately would they like to go shopping or stop over to see our new house anytime! They all told me they dont shop and they dont hang out. I was hurt i felt like they slapped me in my face. So i avoid all of these people now. I do not go with my husband when he visits these people. I stay home alone. Im done trying. Thatwas very rude of them and they know im new here...what do u think?
Hi - and sorry to hear those ladies upset you, but I think in these situations it's sometimes a bit tricky. People can get the wrong idea about us very easily - also they may have their own issues, sometimes it's pretty much impossible to tell. Maybe you came across as a bit pushy or something? ( please understand I don't mean to be rude here - I'm just trying to help you)

As someone else said above I think - maybe they felt that they didn't know you enough yet? A lot of the time with people we have to be a bit more subtle - people like to work up to things slowly.

It really does depend how you did this - we need to sort of develop a rapport with people first - before we suggest getting together or asking if they'd like to come over. It's almost like asking someone out - no-one likes for us to come straight out with it - we have to work up to it. (Please excuse me if I'm out of line here.)

It can be a difficult thing to gauge - especially for people that are shy or out of practice socially.

·
Floating
1,219 Posts
As always, I agree with Donnie. Mainly because I know when I first meet someone, I am not comfortable hanging out with them right away. I'm shy and introverted so I need to be slowly coaxed into certain situations or I'll freak out. I have a hard enough time hanging out with people I've known my whole life let alone people I've just met.

I saw your other post and think you should try going out with your hubby when he hangs out with his friends. The more time you spend around the wives, the more comfortable you'll all be around each other and the more likely they'll warm to you and ask you to join them when they do go out.

If you have any interests, you can try meeting people through your local community center's activities. Most places have a wide variety of classes so there's bound to be something you will enjoy. You can also be gutsy like Donnie and attend local meet ups. :)

Oh, if you have children, I would advise you not to try making friends with PTA parents. From what I've heard, they're total nightmares! :lol

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Oh, if you have children, I would advise you not to try making friends with PTA parents. From what I've heard, they're total nightmares! :lol
Great cover story in MacCleans this week...

http://www.macleans.ca/society/hockey-fights-in-canada-a-sneak-peek-at-this-weeks-cover-story/

Parents are getting the lawyers involved with Hockey games...

archenemy said:
I have not one friend and im tired of it. I havent had a friend for 15 years now. Its almost unbelievable actually. I have just grown to accept the fact and just live with it...
True friends are very rare. In my lifetime, I believe there is no such thing as a "true friend".

People don't have time to take away from their jobs, personal vacations, and time zonked out in front of the TV. They are too busy eating SSRIs and sedatives, chasing them back with bottles of wine and whiskey. They are burdened by work and families.

When you find a "true friend" their family drives you apart, or their lives take them else place in the world, and so on... There are only great times with compatible people. You'll know these people because after years of not seeing them, they'll give you a great big hug or a huge smile out of nowhere when fate brings you back together. Even then, some people simply hate to smile but are genuinely glad to see someone.

Go out and about, the weather is warm, and yeah, for the most part, anyone who smiles your way is in the same boat as you, and a potential friend.

If no body is smiling back, with me, I've found that's because I scare people or I intimidate them. They don't know what to make of me, because I simply look a little different. I know, because the people that smile back are normally rough around the edges types, such as myself.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have very few true friends. In time of need, they have dropped everything to be by me and help me. From half a world away, or years apart, when I call, they know at its so rare I ask for help that they come right away. I have many "friends" and keep them at arms length due to SAS but I bet if I open up, they would be closer. And trust me... I'm a whole different thing than most people are used to...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I broke things off with the last remaining friends I had. They really didn't like me/want to hang out. It feels better to be alone than to have people who don't live very far from you that barely acknowledge you except to get gifts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts