Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but this just seems like double standards here. I wouldn't dare go into the spirituality section and try and de-convert people. But any bible person can preach in the atheist/agnostic section.

Were they to simply come in and engage in a debate on a secular level then fine. But they come into the forum and say read the bible, pray, have faith. Essentially preaching.

So preaching against spirituality is not allowed in the spirituality section, but preaching against secularism with bible quotes is allowed in the atheist section. That is unfair.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I can understand why there is a distinction. The spirituality forum is intended as a place to get support, whereas the atheist/agnostic forum is open to a much broader variety of discussions relating to religion and atheism. I also find it annoying when people preach, but even preachy posts can stimulate interesting discussions and I'd prefer that the forum didn't get bogged down in restrictions.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
Of course there is debate permitted in the Atheist/Agnostic section, elsewise what would it be for?

But what annoys me is how in the Spirituality section we aren't allowed to suggest their scriptures are untrue, but they can come in the science section and talk creationism and other BS.

The science section should not allow spirituality just as the spirituality section dose not allow science.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
The atheists and agnostics requested a place where they could discuss spiritual issues, so they were given that forum. One cannot discuss these subjects without allowing all sides to voice their viewpoints. Therefore, anyone is free to post there.

But what annoys me is how in the Spirituality section we aren't allowed to suggest their scriptures are untrue, but they can come in the science section and talk creationism and other BS.
And you are free to present your views about their posts as long as you do so with respect and stay within the guidelines. Actual bashing of someone's beliefs will not be permitted. The same goes for anyone who posts there.

·
Querdenker
5,684 Posts
I agree that the situation is not even-handed. It would be better if it were. Atheists should be able to say their piece in the Spirituality forum.

Perhaps if atheists could restrain themselves from saying that anyone from the other side of the fence is an idiot? In the Atheist\Agnostic forum Christians have been called ignorant, scorn poured on the very idea of religion and, if you mention spiritual experiences, you are labelled delusional. The insults hurled breach the rule about treating everyone with courtesy and respect. The tone of what is written is often mocking.

One valid difference though is that atheism - saying that something does not exist - is not as significant to the person as religion is. Religion is intended to be central to who you are.

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts
How can one suggest a personal "belief" to be untrue? It's a belief not a fact :S

funny xP
Meh, if my doctor "believes" the best course of action to treat my cold is to stick leaches up my nose, I'm going to suggest that "belief" is false. :b

-Edit- Not sure if you were serious???

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me put it this way: When we in the atheist/agnostic section are intent on having a jolly stimulating discussion about evolution or dark matter - some bible thumper wades in with bible quotes and tells us all to have faith.

I'd be willing to accept theistic arguments in the atheist section providing they are based on secular reasoning - debates on moral relativity or the nature of a First Cause. But to be told to go and read the Gospel of John and I'll see the light is just not on.

It's like someone interupting a discussion on which Volvo is best by doing annoying tricks on a unicycle.

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts
Let me put it this way: When we in the atheist/agnostic section are intent on having a jolly stimulating discussion about evolution or dark matter - some bible thumper wades in with bible quotes and tells us all to have faith.

I'd be willing to accept theistic arguments in the atheist section providing they are based on secular reasoning - debates on moral relativity or the nature of a First Cause. But to be told to go and read the Gospel of John and I'll see the light is just not on.

It's like someone interupting a discussion on which Volvo is best by doing annoying tricks on a unicycle.
In all fairness, those topics are better suited for the science section. Like the mods have said, the atheist agnostic section was created to be a place for people to debate religion and such.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
This was the condition on creating an agnostic/atheist forum. It would allow debate, spirituality would not. The purpose of the spirituality forum is for support and debate would get in the way of that. It's not a matter of fairness, but a matter of the forum's prpose.

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
I agree that the situation is not even-handed. It would be better if it were. Atheists should be able to say their piece in the Spirituality forum.

Perhaps if atheists could restrain themselves from saying that anyone from the other side of the fence is an idiot? In the Atheist\Agnostic forum Christians have been called ignorant, scorn poured on the very idea of religion and, if you mention spiritual experiences, you are labelled delusional. The insults hurled breach the rule about treating everyone with courtesy and respect. The tone of what is written is often mocking.

One valid difference though is that atheism - saying that something does not exist - is not as significant to the person as religion is. Religion is intended to be central to who you are.
I have stayed away from all debates about religion on SAS and will continue to do so. Just want to have said that the bolded stuff is not true. Being an atheist is fundamental to who I am.

·
That guy
191 Posts
Not seen it happen? I don't know what kind of game you're playing, but I think you're doing some preaching of your own.

How else do you explain...

THIS!!
I clicked on the link and forgot about it. Suddenly this goes on, I check itunes, and I remember thinking that my computer was sentient, and boy it had a sense of humour. Then I was sorta disappointed for while, until I realised this is an awesomely done live recording.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts