Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the new system coming out from nintendo sounds really cool especially being able to download all of nintendo's older games from nes snes, n64, etc... and there is still more to be announced at E3 today and tommorow.

New System Will Be Forward-Thinking, Yet Backward Compatible

Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the current Nintendo GameCube generation. But there's more…

The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory.

Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

The specs: The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution's technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

The stars: Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will add to the world's richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Wireless freedom: A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo's newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment.

Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game "masterpieces" as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

"Our next console proves small in size but big on ideas," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing. "We're throwing open the doors of gaming to wider audiences, from casual players to hard-core gamers who live for the thrill of defeating an endless army of wireless opponents."

Nintendo's All-Access Gaming philosophy covers the spectrum. The next console fits anywhere. It brings together new games and old. It gives people worldwide access through wireless Wi-Fi connections. And it opens the world of video games - to everyone. Software for the new console will even attract people who don't consider themselves players. Adults, kids, men and women around the world will have access to the most popular video game characters, the best game franchises and the most engaging experiences yet developed - only with Nintendo.

Keep your browser pointed to http://www.nintendo.com for all the latest news on Revolution. :banana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
shyusa said:
New System Will Be Forward-Thinking, Yet Backward Compatible

Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the current Nintendo GameCube generation. But there's more…

The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
Now this is the sort of thing I like. :banana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Anyone with a computer and internet access already has access to these titles via emulation.....I agree it's a cool feature but they will likely charge for something you can get for free already (if you are not too scrupulous when it comes to ripping of a big corporation..tee hee).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,079 Posts
I read that it is not as "groundbreaking" as the PS3, but if its cheaper, has a better controller, and has graphics as good or better than the PS2, and has the latest sports games, I would look into it.
 

·
SAS Member
Joined
·
14,484 Posts
donniedarko said:
Anyone with a computer and internet access already has access to these titles via emulation.....I agree it's a cool feature but they will likely charge for something you can get for free already (if you are not too scrupulous when it comes to ripping of a big corporation..tee hee).
Emulation is not really legal unless you own a copy of the rom you're playing. It's supposed to be legal for 24 hours(after, it's delete time) but who knows really...

You can also play them on Xbox with some modding :cig

Sounds like revolution will be a good console, but Nintendo always did make good console(they just need more adult rated game instead of the kiddy games)I will buy the revolution because i like Nintendo and they make exellent games(i'm a fan of Metroid and Zelda). I don't really care about downloading old games since i have plenty of other way to play them(i own a nes and Snes and i have a lot of roms already)

I just wish Nintendo came out with a handheld sonsole that could play those supernes game i used to love so much...would be awesome to play chronno trigger or final fantasy while riding the bus :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Gatsuu said:
Emulation is not really legal unless you own a copy of the rom you're playing. It's supposed to be legal for 24 hours(after, it's delete time) but who knows really...
Unfortunately the 24 hour "time limit" doesn't actually exist in law. It's illegal from the point you download the ROM, unless you have a legitimate copy of the game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
Wow Nintendo is going Wi-Fi??? How insane is that!! I think this will be a great console for the kids. Its good to see that Nintendo is back in the game :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Gatsuu said:
I just wish Nintendo came out with a handheld sonsole that could play those supernes game i used to love so much...would be awesome to play chronno trigger or final fantasy while riding the bus :D
Well heh thats basically the GBA down to a tee, and had ninetndo and squaresoft been n better terms you could guarentee there would be GBA ports of those games...

Nontheless the revolution seems like a good console tome, I will buy it but my main cuation is that nintendo seem to be going for "original" gimmicks, like the GBA-GC link (which wanst too bad a gimmick) or the (IMO) godawful DS (and I dont even particulary like the PSP either :b) so well see. I just want some good 1st part software to be honest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I'm confused about all the whooptie-doo about WiFi. A little concerned too. I'm one of a minority of people that actually lockdown their WiFi systems with good encryption, and I'll be very surprised if Revolution supports that. If it doesn't have an RJ45 connector for Ethernet cable, and has to connect by WiFi that's not securable with at least WPA-TKIP, I'm gonna have heck to go through to set up a sandboxed AP for it to use so that I won't have snoopy neighbors and wardrivers checking out my network. What I want to hear about is connectivity via good old fashioned CAT5 cable, so I don't have to deal with that.

WiFi on a videogame console makes no sense to me anyways. The thing has to hook up to a TV, and has to plug into the wall for power, it's not like you can walk around the house with it or something, geez.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Micronian said:
I read that it is not as "groundbreaking" as the PS3, but if its cheaper, has a better controller, and has graphics as good or better than the PS2, and has the latest sports games, I would look into it.
Have you seen pics of the control? I've read rumours that it'll be quite different from what we've seen before, which scares me. :lol I like the GCN control an awful lot, I hope they stick with that design for the most part.

Oh, and it wouldn't take much for it to be better than PS3's controller IMO. I'd probably chose the awful N64 controller over the PS3's :lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,079 Posts
Gigabit said:
WiFi on a videogame console makes no sense to me anyways. The thing has to hook up to a TV, and has to plug into the wall for power, it's not like you can walk around the house with it or something, geez.
My friends play Madden with that kind of wired setup, and that blue cable runs everywhere. It's a pain.

I don't think there'll be too much serious espionage in the world of kiddie console gaming anyways. If the Nintendo revolution is not what I'm hoping it is, I'll probably get the DS as my "next gen" platform. WiFi makes more sense on portable systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Micronian said:
My friends play Madden with that kind of wired setup, and that blue cable runs everywhere. It's a pain.

I don't think there'll be too much serious espionage in the world of kiddie console gaming anyways. If the Nintendo revolution is not what I'm hoping it is, I'll probably get the DS as my "next gen" platform. WiFi makes more sense on portable systems.
It's not people spying on my video game playing I care about. :lol It's that my WiFi gives access to almost everything on any computer in my house, so if I have to unlock it so that Revolution can connect, I unlock my computers to anyone within several blocks of my house. For that reason, I either want it to use WPA encryption, or wired ethernet. I could put an open AP on a separate network for the Revolution's sole use, but that entails extra work and buying some more equipment. It would also allow anyone to use my internet connection, which bugs me, because if they did anything illegal with it, I would get the heat for it. Paranoid??? Who me? :lol

I'm assuming that Revolution will connect to the Internet for multiplayer games, not not just closed lanparty sessions like you mentioned. :stu I really don't give a hoot about lanparty gaming, because that requires that you have actual real-life friends and tote your stuff to eachother's houses to play.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top