Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whenever I'm having trouble sleeping I usually just lay in bed and read a book. For some reason, laying on my stomach and reading puts me to sleep. I usually can't even knock out a chapter before almost dozing off. Also for some reason I fall asleep easier with the light on, or laying somewhere other than my bed. When I go lights out and try to fall asleep in my bed, it's like my brain knows it's time for sleep and because of that it prevents me from clearing my mind and dozing off.

Sometimes I'll just try to keep my mind cleared, and let myself fall into a steady rhythm. If stressful thoughts or events that day cross your mind, instead of focusing on completely blocking them out, let them come and go, but don't dwell on them, try to keep focus on steady breathing and it tends to put you to sleep. This can be hard to do sometimes though, as it takes a certain degree of discipline... you can't always force it.

Of course, nothing helps me fall asleep better than a few tokes, but that isn't always available.

edit: i've gotten the whole voices chattering thing on a few occasions. It's kinda weird... it's like the reflections of people I talked to / things I overheard through-out the day. Silly brain....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Get into a routine of getting up earlier and going to bed earlier. This is the only long-term solution. When I don't get my sleep schedule right I get nightmares, sleep paralysis, insomnia.. terrible problems.. I'm trying to get back on track myself now.. Today I got up at 930 which is better then the noon yesterday!

·
Confused
735 Posts
Try giving melatonin a go. It can have beneficial effects for treatment of certain forms of insomnia, but still helps with mild sleep problems. Production of melatonin by the pineal gland is inhibited by light and permitted by darkness. For this reason melatonin has been called "the hormone of darkness", as it promotes sleepiness. I take it from time to time and I can honestly say that it does work and has almost no side-effects compared to other sleeping pills. One does get incredibly vivid dreams when you take it though, so prepare! Ha, just kidding...but it is known for heightening the 'dreaming experience' - which is great for me, as I don't have nightmares that often.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a tendency to go 30+ hours before sleeping simply because whenever I try, my brain won't shut the **** up. The only time I can sleep easily is out of pure exhaustion. I've been trying to correct it for months, the only thing that seems to have helped is exercise which doesn't seem to be helping quite enough to get me to a 16/8 sleep scheduel.

The sleep paralysis sounds terrifying :(

Edit: I had vivid nightmares on OTC sleep aids too. Never tried prescrip ones because I'm paranoid about the sleep walking :/

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry about what you're going through.

I can relate a little bit, but my circumstances are different. I can usually get to sleep in a manageable amount of time, but my trouble comes while I'm asleep and the next morning. I get vivid nightmares and always start the day waking up in the middle of a night terror. I try to calm down with a routine of tea, journaling, maybe calling my boyfriend or therapist, or exercise...it usually takes a couple hours though to stop being shaky.

For a little while, I was taking sleeping pills pretty comfortably. Then I found they actually gave me intensely vivid nightmares. There was one week where every morning I woke up freezing and covered in sweat. Plus the other side effects aren't fun, so, no but thank you.
This happened to me with trazedone. No fun. Sometimes I use benadryl just to take the edge off, but there's a good chance you wont really feel it if you've been on heavier meds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As if the insomnia weren't bad enough, in my case it's coupled with nightmares when I actually do fall asleep. Which makes it very stressful to try going to sleep.
I've tried melatonin, some of my friends take it and it works for them, but when I tried it, first of all it knocked me out for about half an hour and then I woke up with the horrible panicky feeling that my skin was crawling :um and I had to distract myself until the pill wore off. Never dared taking it again. :no Maybe the dosage was off or sth, even though I only took half a pill. I've never heard of anyone else having a bad reaction though. :blank

Now I take muscle relaxants and they seem to do the trick. Although I only take them when I haven't slept for days and I can't take it any more.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sleep paralysis sounds terrible! I know my sister gets it and she hates talking about it, its just that scary for her I guess.
I have never had that, but I do get bad insomnia, lately its been horrible. I hate going to bed now. Actually I feel it coming on now.

·
Confused
735 Posts
I've tried melatonin, some of my friends take it and it works for them, but when I tried it, first of all it knocked me out for about half an hour and then I woke up with the horrible panicky feeling that my skin was crawling :um and I had to distract myself until the pill wore off.
Damn, thats quite a messed up reaction - I always thought it was a very safe drug. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Most of my dreams have been I guess what you would call nightmares for as long as I can remember.

All sorts of stuff about people dying and being mutilated and stuff/people trying to kill me and me fighting back/escaping. If the dream doesn't start like that, it always ends like it....

Here comes dark clouds/mist/fog/water.

Sky turns black/red.

I walk outside and its night in a bad neighborhood.

Someone's face starts peeling off/their eyes pop and squirt/they are killed by something, etc, etc

It literally is at a point where I'm so desensitized that I just wake up and think "Wow that was stupid" or I'll be dreaming and say it in my dream and then I'll wake up.

It's pretty boring.

I rarely dream about sex and if I do then I don't really get any.

The part that irritates me the most about my dreams is the rubber-likeness of it.

Often times if a monster or somebody is after me and I cut/stab/shot/burn/kick/punch/etc them, It just heals up or the weapon just doesn't even hurt them. Then when the monster tries to kill me or whatever it doesn't hurt me either. IE, I've even had my head chopped off and watched my vision roll on the floor and I just picked up my head and stuck it back on.

Also weapons or things in my hand often melt apart or crumble. I can travel through walls if I just feel like it too, but flying seems to work on and off.

Plus on top of that....

When I was younger I could interact with my dreams and they were pretty responsive. Now my dreams are mostly like watching a movie and if I try to take control I wake up.

It's all kind of frustratingly pointless now that I think about it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It takes me awhile to fall asleep.

I wake up at least 2 times a night, sometimes more. No matter what. Sleeping pill or not. I cant stay asleep. The broken sleep is so annoying. I hardly have energy during the day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts