Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else ever feel like they are addicted to the sensationalism of headline type news where you only skim the headlines and get that rush of anxiety, but never really look further into the story? I'm starting to think that maybe it is altering my worldview kind of like a psychotropic drug would.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suggest you read Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman:
http://www.amazon.com/Amusing-Ourselves-Death-Discourse-Business/dp/0140094385

It forever changed my view of news and informing myself about the world.
Thanks! I was reading the customer reviews and it sounds really interesting. I've recently been making a bunch of lifestyle changes for my physical and mental health, and it's kind of funny how I'm realizing that all of these things that I was raised to not do are actually turning out to be the cause of all of my pain. Man, why did I have to be so rebellious as a kid? :roll I think if all those rules hadn't been taught to me in the form of a religious decree though, I might have understood the reasons more clearly when I reached that rebellious age.

Have you ever read The Diamond Age by any chance? It's fiction, but I remember it really making me think about how screwed up society is getting and reminded me how much more fulfilling it really is to live in a Victorian type society, even if it isn't "cool". All of these technological and medical advances are only making us forget the basics that kept society healthy for so long.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Have you ever read The Diamond Age by any chance? It's fiction, but I remember it really making me think about how screwed up society is getting and reminded me how much more fulfilling it really is to live in a Victorian type society, even if it isn't "cool". All of these technological and medical advances are only making us forget the basics that kept society healthy for so long.
I haven't, but it looks interesting.

Postman's basic premise is that Huxley was right and Orwell was wrong. Interesting that he published it in 1985...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts