Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I found this forum just a couple days ago and decided to join up. Normally, I end up not signing up for various forums, finding different reasons not to, but this time I decided to just do it. Things like this always seem to be tough, because I really don’t like talking about myself…but here goes!

Even thought I’m just 24, I often think it’s “too late”. I’ve formally been diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder/depression, but in all likelihood, I’ve probably had it my entire life. I’ve gone to therapy for a little over two years, which I’ve found very helpful, but don’t take any medications currently. I have another longstanding health issue called fibromyalgia which is partially responsible for that. At times, I feel amazed at myself for holding up as well as I have for so long. But at other times, I feel like a wreck who just doesn’t measure up.

I don’t really have any friends in person. The funny thing is though, compared to any other point in my life, I have more internet friends than ever. And I don’t know why I always feel like I have to be able to explain my relative isolation.

I think I’ve probably nervously rambled on enough! I’ll just say that this seems like a really great place and that it’s nice to meet everyone. :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey theconstant :wel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I understand what you mean, about always feeling like you need to explain your isolation.

People don't seem to understand that sometimes, I just can't face things. And sometimes, I just want to stay home. It always embarrasses me.

Maybe it's just my perception of what others are thinking that makes me feel like I always need to explain?

Anyway, I think I understand how you feel.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow

Hi there,
Hi also just joined so was looking through new member posts.

I am lonely tonight because I also don't have much in the way of in person friends.
I also have chronic health problems. Not what you have but like, I've been basically struggling with it for about 5 years. And I'm 25. I've had social anxiety forever and I've been through bouts of depression, tho not right now. Isn't it difficult to have mental health problems AND physical health problems particularly when you've got like ppl saying, This is the best time of your life! Actually it's been a while since someone literally said that to me but you know, ppl will be like, oh young people, they don't worry about their health.

Just to make sure you know, it is NOT too late. I went to a group with plenty of middle aged ppl with social anxiety making lots of progress.

That's all!

Hi everyone,

I found this forum just a couple days ago and decided to join up. Normally, I end up not signing up for various forums, finding different reasons not to, but this time I decided to just do it. Things like this always seem to be tough, because I really don't like talking about myself…but here goes!

Even thought I'm just 24, I often think it's "too late". I've formally been diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder/depression, but in all likelihood, I've probably had it my entire life. I've gone to therapy for a little over two years, which I've found very helpful, but don't take any medications currently. I have another longstanding health issue called fibromyalgia which is partially responsible for that. At times, I feel amazed at myself for holding up as well as I have for so long. But at other times, I feel like a wreck who just doesn't measure up.

I don't really have any friends in person. The funny thing is though, compared to any other point in my life, I have more internet friends than ever. And I don't know why I always feel like I have to be able to explain my relative isolation.

I think I've probably nervously rambled on enough! I'll just say that this seems like a really great place and that it's nice to meet everyone. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone. :)

artist lace, I think you're right...it's like, judging ourselves by others standards instead of our own leads to the embarrassment and the need to explain.

And thanks, lifes a struggle. It's nice to be reminded it's not too late since it seems really easy to lose sight of that. Yeah, it's not fun at all having both types of health problems, especially when the one on the physical side is so misunderstood. So there's always the super-neat platitudes like you said..."these are your best years!" (That's the one I've heard a few times.)

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, TheCostant! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts