Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
This is my third year dealing with a constant level of SA and moderate Panic Disorder which is escalating into exhausting GAD. (Overall stress of dealing with anxiety everyday seems a pretty reasonable summary). I'm a student, parent, significant other. . . So, lots to be busy with and I don't always have the ability to work through it all as of late.

Guess I'm at the point where I'm willing to pursuing all avenues of treatment/support including "reaching out" and accepting this is a part of me right now and--holy damn, how cheesy is it to say it, but also-- accepting that "we aren't alone."

SA sucks, plain and simple, but knowing other people experience some of the same struggles is extremely comforting, though it sucks for them, too.

One of the main things I'm looking to explore is what kinds of medications have been successful for people with SA, Panic and GAD.

I was on Paxil a few years ago, which began to work after the requisite six weeks, but I quit due to side effects--space case (like high), weight loss, loss of emotion.

I started on BuSpar three months ago, which was minimally helpful (low level anxiety relief) but, it really couldn't tackle the intensity of my anxiety. I was also getting daily headaches and nausea with it even after three months. I've felt my anxiety level increase in the past few weeks, so I stopped taking it and went back to the temp fix of benzos.

I take lorazepam (1-2 mg/day or every other day). I would like to be free of benzos in the long run.

Going to see a psychiatrist for a proper med evaluation in a few weeks and could use all the helpful info you have to contribute. *helpful*

I'm also planning on doing some CBT come summertime to address some specific SA triggers: public speaking, selective social phobias, general ability to articulate thoughts in any social/public situation. Those are biggies for me but are in no way inclusive of all the symptoms I experience--especially related to panic. I have my ups and downs as far as mood, but I'm generally not prone to extended bouts of depression. If there's any mania in my life it is short lived (like a cup of coffee short), and is usually related to how much stress I'm going through.

One day I would like to be med-free, but, that isn't in my immediate future, and right now the thought of some sort of help/relief/freedom seems like a dream.

I'm open to suggestions, advice and recommendations for meds, natural and prescribed; self-help techniques; and, specific therapeutic techniques.

Thanks!

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome PearlButtons! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Pearl Buttons welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey All,
This is my third year dealing with a constant level of SA and moderate Panic Disorder which is escalating into exhausting GAD. (Overall stress of dealing with anxiety everyday seems a pretty reasonable summary). I'm a student, parent, significant other. . . So, lots to be busy with and I don't always have the ability to work through it all as of late.

Guess I'm at the point where I'm willing to pursuing all avenues of treatment/support including "reaching out" and accepting this is a part of me right now and--holy damn, how cheesy is it to say it, but also-- accepting that "we aren't alone."

SA sucks, plain and simple, but knowing other people experience some of the same struggles is extremely comforting, though it sucks for them, too.

One of the main things I'm looking to explore is what kinds of medications have been successful for people with SA, Panic and GAD.

I was on Paxil a few years ago, which began to work after the requisite six weeks, but I quit due to side effects--space case (like high), weight loss, loss of emotion.

I started on BuSpar three months ago, which was minimally helpful (low level anxiety relief) but, it really couldn't tackle the intensity of my anxiety. I was also getting daily headaches and nausea with it even after three months. I've felt my anxiety level increase in the past few weeks, so I stopped taking it and went back to the temp fix of benzos.

I take lorazepam (1-2 mg/day or every other day). I would like to be free of benzos in the long run.

Going to see a psychiatrist for a proper med evaluation in a few weeks and could use all the helpful info you have to contribute. *helpful*

I'm also planning on doing some CBT come summertime to address some specific SA triggers: public speaking, selective social phobias, general ability to articulate thoughts in any social/public situation. Those are biggies for me but are in no way inclusive of all the symptoms I experience--especially related to panic. I have my ups and downs as far as mood, but I'm generally not prone to extended bouts of depression. If there's any mania in my life it is short lived (like a cup of coffee short), and is usually related to how much stress I'm going through.

One day I would like to be med-free, but, that isn't in my immediate future, and right now the thought of some sort of help/relief/freedom seems like a dream.

I'm open to suggestions, advice and recommendations for meds, natural and prescribed; self-help techniques; and, specific therapeutic techniques.

Thanks!
A suggestion only good for someone opened minded. Primal therapy worked
to alleviate almost all of my SA, but it is not a widely accepted form of therapy and is little known. This is unfortunate because it is very effective. After getting a good start with primal it can be done without
a therapist. I think it's the way to go for anyone wanting to pursue
a cure, but it is a major undertaking. I see you are located in CA and
that is where the best primal therapy is available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I appreciate the suggestion. I would definitely consider myself on the more open-minded side of things. . . But, where I'm at mentally, emotionally, and physically these days even basic person to person therapy sessions are a bit much for me. Not sure I'm ready to dig that deep.

I can imagine that once I am far enough along my journey, I may be brave enough to try it. I haven't done much research on it, but I have heard of it.

Have you found lasting relief? Is it an ongoing process?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, I appreciate the suggestion. I would definitely consider myself on the more open-minded side of things. . . But, where I'm at mentally, emotionally, and physically these days even basic person to person therapy sessions are a bit much for me. Not sure I'm ready to dig that deep.

I can imagine that once I am far enough along my journey, I may be brave enough to try it. I haven't done much research on it, but I have heard of it.

Have you found lasting relief? Is it an ongoing process?
Thanks for asking. I have gotten lasting relief. In fact, SA is no longer one of my complaints even though it was my main reason for therapy to begin with.
It has helped me be able to do things in my life I never thought would be possible. I still could be better at enjoying social events such as weddings
or large parties but I don't avoid those gatherings or consider it a problem.

It is an ongoing process and there are other issues I deal with. There are
are people who start with primal as a self therapy but I think that's
especially difficult. The therapy is about expressing deep repressed feelings which are associated with childhood traumas, as you probably know.
When it's working it really is a transformative process.
have you tried therapy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts