Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am getting married in 4 weeks time and since my stag weekend, i have been extremely anxious / sleeping poorly / low appetite etc. Up until my stag i was looking forward to the wedding and had no worries about it - maybe it was the weekend of drinking that set me off or just the fact that with the stag being over - the wedding was the next thing.

I have always been fairly anxious - never taken medication though as didnt need it. I have extreme public speaking anxiety so along with my fiance - i have decided not to do a speech (she and family are all fine with this) . I have tried to beat this speaking anxiety by volunteering to do a big presentation at a conference last year - it went fine but took about 1 stone off my weight and i was in bits over it for weeks and weeks .

But still this isnt enough for me - i am now worrying about the ceremony , that i wont be able to do whats neccessary i.e. light the candle etc due to nerves.

I was wondering, would you recommend medication for this or just a few glasses of champagne before the ceremony ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yeah well this is the issue - i have never taken them so dont know how they interact.

I know how alcohol affects me and my limits etc - and i suppose not being able to have a few drinks safely on my wedding day wouldnt be fun.

Do the meds offer anything that alcohol cant i.e. are they stronger?

I find wine to be the best for keeping my calm

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
Alcohol is always a good bet, especially as you know how it affects you. If you want to go with any meds I would suggest something like an antihistamine, personally I find them rather calming both physically and mentally. I think benzo or something like that is a little overkill for your problem not to mention you would need to get it prescribed. If you try any meds you should obviously do so before the wedding to see how you react and find the right dose.

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
and you can get them without prescription ? can you drink with them ?
Yeah you can. Well not Atarax which is the antihistamine generally used to treat anxiety but some of the non prescription ones are effective too, if taken in the right dose.

It is safe to drink smaller amounts with them at least. I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot while taking them, it can boost the drowsiness. This is true for most if not all meds used to treat anxiety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you can. Well not Atarax which is the antihistamine generally used to treat anxiety but some of the non prescription ones are effective too, if taken in the right dose.

It is safe to drink smaller amounts with them at least. I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot while taking them, it can boost the drowsiness. This is true for most if not all meds used to treat anxiety.
yeah so maybe wine and champagne are best for my wedding day then :)

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
dont want to be stinking of drink in front of hte priest though :)
There's always the rectal way of downing your booze.. hahaha.

If you just have 2-3 glasses I guess it's fine. Gotta be a lot of men that aren't completely sober at that point

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's always the rectal way of downing your booze.. hahaha.

If you just have 2-3 glasses I guess it's fine. Gotta be a lot of men that aren't completely sober at that point
True i suppose - didnt think of other people doing it. Thought i was the only sap that was nervous :)

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
True i suppose - didnt think of other people doing it. Thought i was the only sap that was nervous :)
I didn't attend my fathers wedding but I've been told he was pretty intoxicated by the time it was his turn to say I do. If I add that there were tens of litres of liquors being served after the wedding to a relatively small crowd, I think you get the picture. You are not alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't attend my fathers wedding but I've been told he was pretty intoxicated by the time it was his turn to say I do. If I add that there were tens of litres of liquors being served after the wedding to a relatively small crowd, I think you get the picture. You are not alone.
Ok - thanks for that. Few glasses of wine so beforehand to take the edge off - no need for benzos

1 - 14 of 14 Posts