Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My name is Jami, I'm 27 years old and getting married in 26 days.

I found this forum searching for more information about social anxiety. I've known for years that I had a problem in social situations and always feeling that people are looking at me and judging me. I am the worst person when it comes to calling people because it makes me extremely nervous and I always wonder what they will be thinking of me when they get off the phone. Whenever I am around large groups of people I try to make myself practically invisible to avoid awkward moments trying to conversate with people I don't know very well because I never know what to say. I don't make friends easily, and I'm the last person to introduce myself to a stranger because I am far too self conscious. It takes me a long time to warm up to people and become comfortable with them, and very few people will give me that chance. It's hard because my fiance is a social butterfly, people love him, and he's not shy or self conscious in the slightest, so situations he is fine with I am always feeling uncomfortable in. Thankfully he's understanding, but I know at times he'd be happier if I could overcome my SA.

No one has ever told me I have SA, I've been in and out of counseling a couple of times now for depression but never touched on social anxiety, but I know I have it. I've always just told people I'm kind of shy, but never admitted my social anxiety.

The reason I have looked this up today is that I had my bridal shower yesterday and even amongst people I am familiar with, because it was a mixed group of people who weren't familiar with each other, and because some of them I haven't known for very long I felt extremely nervous. I probably drank 5 glasses of champagne just to try and ease my mind, but I always feel like I have no clue what to do in group situations like this, especially when I am the center of attention because I hate having all eyes on me.

I wish so badly that I could overcome this, but sometimes I feel like it has gone on for so long that it will never go away :( I'm hoping I can find some comfort here.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Jami, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, MEOWx4! :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel