Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im 22 years old . i never experienced severe anxiety up until about 2 years ago. i was attending college and everything was going smoothly in my life until one day in class i had a panic attack when the professor called on my to answer a question . it was terrible, i literally felt like i was going to die. i couldnt breath,speak or even stand up.

every since that day i havent been the same. ever since then i CONSTANTLY had a fear of having another one and putting myself in that embarassing situation again. since then i have avoided any and all situations where there could be a chance of me getting the slightest bit nervouse or anxious.

it has pretty much taken over and ruined my life . i feel like i cant do everyday normal tasks anymore. even going out to the grocery store and small things like that get me nervous. i feel like i cant talk to people anymore and have a conversation. im constantly critqueing everything i say and do in fear of sounding stupid or making a fool out of myself.

my mind constantly races with thoughts nonstop. it drives me INSANE. to top it all off when i dropped out of college due to the anxiety and fear of going back i lost my health insurance. so i cant goto the doctor or get on any kind of medicine without putting myself in mass debt.

before my insurance expired i did see a psychologist twice. he put me lexapro i believe it was. but after a few months i noticed no difference , and actually think it made everything worse. so i dropped that.

since then ive just been avoiding all situations and pretty much being a hermit i guess u could say. i dont have problems being around and talking to close friends. but when it comes to meeting new people i just simply cant do it. it seems impossible. my girlfriend whom ive been dating for almost a year now, she has a 2 yr old son whom ive never even met . and have never met her parents also. it drives her crazy, she just doesnt understand.

also my mom is bipolar i thought i sould mention. does anyone have these same symptoms., i could desperatly use some help , i just want to feel "normal" again!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
well you sound just about like everyone else with anxiety. i was never diagnosed with "social" anxiety, instead diagnosed with "generalized" anxiety... so i got to expirence all the kinds of anxiety... social, separation, etc. anyways, i can totally relate to you. especially the racing thoughts. when my anxiety was so bad it would hit me when i would lay down to sleep. i would toss for hours feeling like i couldnt shut my brain off, if that makes any sense. anyways ill stop babbling.. if you ever want to talk just send me a message :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi,
Was your first panic attack when you started college? Sounds to me likely you passed some family threshold for accomplishment, and so you became overwhelmed with anxiety.

It's normal to avoid situations that might bring panic once you've experienced that. Sorry you're having to deal with it, but you've found a good place here to get info. you can learn alot from others here from their postings.

It would help if you post where you are, so we get more of an idea about you, and what situation you're in.

Take care, and you know you're not alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well you sound just about like everyone else with anxiety. i was never diagnosed with "social" anxiety, instead diagnosed with "generalized" anxiety... so i got to expirence all the kinds of anxiety... social, separation, etc. anyways, i can totally relate to you. especially the racing thoughts. when my anxiety was so bad it would hit me when i would lay down to sleep. i would toss for hours feeling like i couldnt shut my brain off, if that makes any sense. anyways ill stop babbling.. if you ever want to talk just send me a message :)
yeah i was also diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. i have only been to see the doctor about it twice almost 2 years ago. and yes. when i lay down. i cant seem to "shut my brain off" i stay up till about 7am every night. then sleep all day. its a terrible cycle. my family doesnt understand. all they do is ***** at me. they think im just a lazy ***. i dont know what to do.

this is getting really old. coming to the point where ive handled just about as much as i can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
Was your first panic attack when you started college? Sounds to me likely you passed some family threshold for accomplishment, and so you became overwhelmed with anxiety.

It's normal to avoid situations that might bring panic once you've experienced that. Sorry you're having to deal with it, but you've found a good place here to get info. you can learn alot from others here from their postings.

It would help if you post where you are, so we get more of an idea about you, and what situation you're in.

Take care, and you know you're not alone.
no it wasnt when i first started college. it was 2 years in. i was doing great ,made the deans list the semester before. it just hit me outta nowhere like a ton of bricks

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
I think you're going to have to somehow enter a similar situation again, but have it end on a positive note. It's like when someone gets bit by a dog and they end up being scared of dogs. That person has to gradually be exposed to dogs with positive experiences in order for their fears to slowly subside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you're going to have to somehow enter a similar situation again, but have it end on a positive note. It's like when someone gets bit by a dog and they end up being scared of dogs. That person has to gradually be exposed to dogs with positive experiences in order for their fears to slowly subside.
well i have days where i feel "ok" not great but ok. days where i can actually talk to some people . (although im analzing myself the entire time im doing so) and when its all over i look at it and im like "that wasnt so bad" but the next day its right back to not being able to do it and being terrified of attempting.

its weird. everyday from the time i wake up i feel like im in a daze. probably due to my brain reacting to all the racing thoughts .

has anyone ever experienced "depersonalization" also called "derealization" . its basically you feel like your living in a dream world. its brought on by obsessive thoughts and questions that cant be answered. like the topics of life and god and death and things like that/. i experienced this real bad for a while . i guess its somewhat common with people with anxiety. its the worst feeling ever, its like your living in a dream world. just completely out of it all the time.

im just a complete mess. lol have more problems than any one person should have to handle thats for sure

·
Registered
746 Posts
no it wasnt when i first started college. it was 2 years in. i was doing great ,made the deans list the semester before. it just hit me outta nowhere like a ton of bricks
Your thread made me sign up here. I had almost exactly the same set of circumstances, though the situation was slightly different.

I was 1 year + 1 quarter into my time at community college. I had moved right before I started attending college and so I had a smaller/looser group of friends than previously (I thought this might have had something to do with it). I was getting mostly perfect grades (not that it comes especially easily - I'm just a perfectionist) and on the dean's list. I had to give a presentation for a class. I was never nervous in a group but was fairly anxious about giving a presentation in front of the class (though nothing like what I would feel now). I did it and it actually went fairly well. I had a long day on not enough sleep the previous night. After doing the presentation and going to work for a few hours I went home and my much older brother (a very smart and driven lawyer) called to talk. He was interested in my presentation asked me to give my main arguments again. It seemed that all the anxiety I had pushed aside earlier in the day returned with twice the force. Immediately I felt like I was onstage again; my mind went blank, my heart started to pound, my arms and legs started to go numb, and I barely managed to mumble something about not feeling well and needing to go.

I brushed it off, but a similar experience at work (get this - a commission sales job) the next week "burned in" the possibility that the reaction could be reoccurring and things have sucked ever since.

well i have days where i feel "ok" not great but ok. days where i can actually talk to some people . (although im analzing myself the entire time im doing so) and when its all over i look at it and im like "that wasnt so bad" but the next day its right back to not being able to do it and being terrified of attempting.
This is what I can't understand. I think we have learned to fear any situation that might cause severe anxiety symptoms because of associations we have made between the situation and the anxiety. However, having successful, non-anxious (or with manageable anxiousness), experiences in the same situations does not seem to create any lasting positive associations that can be used for even slowly overcoming the anxiety.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.