Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm Melissa, and I'm 30. I'm pretty sure I must have been born with SA. I can't remember ever being outgoing or not afraid of what people thought of me. People around me always just considered me to be really shy, and it wasn't until my mid-20s that I even ever heard of social anxiety. However, I immediately knew that it described me, and was diagnosed shortly thereafter. It some ways it was a relief to know that there was a term for the way I had been all of my life: Blushing and sweating when I had to talk to a group, having to rehearse conversations before making a call, panicking at the mere idea of having to meet someone new, etc.

I have made pretty big strides in recent years, doing things I never would have done even five years ago, but it's when I take those steps backward that I get frustrated at myself. I still find myself occasionally struggling with the simplest things, such as making a phone call or eating in public. My loved ones are certainly sympathetic, but no one ever seems to "get" my SA, so I thought I would seek out those who might have a real understanding about how I feel, which led me here. :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Melissa, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Cherri! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome!

Hi Melissa, you've come to the right place. I joined the forums also because no one else in my family seemed to understand my anxiety. For me, answering and making phone calls is the worst. Even if close friends are calling. Hope your day goes well!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts