Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to this site. I've experienced social anxiety ever since I was a kid. I never had trouble making friends, but I've always had trouble maintaining the friendship. I can appear confident and sure of myself when I am first introduced to someone new, but that facade fades the more I hang out with the person. Talking to people feels draining to me and if I do it too much I start avoiding everyone to "recharge". Does anyone have any of the same experience? Has anyone managed to get through this and actually start enjoying talking to people? Or better yet, feel energized after talking to people instead of drained?

I feel constantly lonely, even if I'm with people. Need to get past that somehow.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, you can improve on some aspects. Especially if you know why you feel so lonely even with other people around.

The reason why I felt lonely is because my interests were out of mainstream culture and/or deeply personally. Stuff like philosophy, love, religion, mental faculties (like SA and depression), etc. People never really talk about stuff like that.

I think what drove me to like regular social interactions a little was the time I spent alone. So much time spent in loneliness that the few times I got out, I relished talking to people about even the most mundane stuff. Eventually I got used to it. Even if someone was talking about the weather, at least they'd be making the effort of talking to me. And that effort feels nice.

So yeah. I can talk to people fairly easily now. But half of the time I'm not really interested, and I still get drained if I talk for more than a few minutes. Though I get VERY energized if it's about something I'm interested in, or if it's someone I'm close with (which is probably nobody).

Just find someone you like, talk about something you love, and you'll be okay.

Also, just a suggestion, but you might have depression. Most of the day I feel that nothing matters and that I'm just going to trudge through life like a zombie without aim. Yeah. Depression.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts