Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

ok here is my situation, i have had SA my whole life (im 23), and in the last three years it has disabled my life, i dont go out at all, i have missed countless opurtunities in my life because of my fear.

Well basically i have been out of high school for 6 years and im not happy with my progress. I recently got accepted to college ( penn state) and i am set to start aug 24th. But i am so afraid, not about the work but just walking in to a classroom full of people and just meeting people period. when i walk in somewhere, i immediatly feel as if im being judged. I have missed countless oppurtunities in life just because of the fear of crowds but i really want to change my life and be able to go to the market or just the corner without feeling like im going to pass out. so my question is what techniques if any can i use to cope and make it through day one at least without sweating away 50lbs

thanks for reading and any input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So it begins

Hello

well a little update, I reviews a letter today saying
I have to go to orentation next week (July 30)

and now I extremely nervous, I'm teLly worried that I will get so nervous
as usual that I'll come up with a reason not to go

I really want this, I want to go to school and better my life
I want to be able to go out without fear. What could I possibly do
to just get my mind to stop psyching me out. I'm not asking for a cure but maybe someone can relate or just offer some good advice

it's sad but I feel comfortable posting here than talking to someone I know

Thanks and sorry for the long post

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi :) I am in the same boat as you. I allow myself to freak myself out in social situations to the point that I never start, accomplish or finish anything. College is one of them. In fact, I now take online classes so that I never have to leave the house although one of the classes necessitates having to report to the college classroom at least once a month and I'm already freaking out about THAT. I have wasted so much time with this disorder that I guess I would say to anyone younger than me to please not do the same. I mean, that advice applies to anyone but particularly those who are teens/early 20s. It's easier said than done, I know, because I usually have to force myself to go do what I have to do which isn't really much of a technique at all. The passage of time, however, is now becoming a bigger issue. For me, it's now or never. You have time on your side right now and that's what you should consider. You can either go ahead and work on your degree or allow this disorder to continue to psyche you out as I have allowed it to do, which is not a good path to follow. I kept telling myself that I would go back to school when I felt 'better' but the truth is, I was kidding myself. This disorder will cause you to flush years and years of your life away while you're waiting to feel 'better'. Good luck to you ~ I really hope you attend your orientation. I would also suggest reading through some of the threads here on these forums (I'm new to this site so this is something that I'm doing myself) so that you realize that you are not alone in this. Realizing that you are not alone could be a technique to use in moving you beyond some of these emotional roadblocks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello

Thanks so much for your reply and i must say coming to this forum has already made me feel better because i know its not just me and the fact that people are overcoming this, it gives me hope.

I want to go to this orentation but everytime i get excited or establish a positive outlook, my mind immediatly shifts to making me nervous and i begin psyching myself out. Im definitely going, Im just going to ignore fear and do it because i have already allowed my SA to make me miss alot in life so far.

Thanks again for your reply

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well folks i did it i ignored my nervousness and just went, and it wasnt bad but i was pouring sweat the whole time

majority of the time its the fact that i get nervous and pour sweat from my face that i get anxious

i wish it didnt happen all the time, it makes me feel like i look wierd and nervous and then i start to get the feeling people are talking about me

But Bottom line is i did it i am fully enrolled i just have to go back tommorow and pick my schedule

thanks for all the support

1 - 6 of 6 Posts