Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from severe social anxiety but only in a classroom setting. On a day to day basis I can be a bit shy but nothing out of the ordinary, it is only in a classroom or overall school setting where I have paralyzing, intense anxiety. I have tried celexa and lexapro in the past but both are more of anti-depressants and take weeks to work. I need a medication strictly for anxiety, fast-acting and on a need-to-take basis. I only need to be on medication while in college. So, I have decided on either Klonopin or Xanax and I am meeting with my doctor tomorrow but I want to know which is better for my type of anxiety. I really hate taking medication and I definitely don't want to be a zombie or suffer from any confusion or inability to think straight, in fact, I NEED to be able to concentrate taking my senior year of college classes. So which is better? Xanax or Klonopin?

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I suffer from severe social anxiety but only in a classroom setting. On a day to day basis I can be a bit shy but nothing out of the ordinary, it is only in a classroom or overall school setting where I have paralyzing, intense anxiety. I have tried celexa and lexapro in the past but both are more of anti-depressants and take weeks to work. I need a medication strictly for anxiety, fast-acting and on a need-to-take basis. I only need to be on medication while in college. So, I have decided on either Klonopin or Xanax and I am meeting with my doctor tomorrow but I want to know which is better for my type of anxiety. I really hate taking medication and I definitely don't want to be a zombie or suffer from any confusion or inability to think straight, in fact, I NEED to be able to concentrate taking my senior year of college classes. So which is better? Xanax or Klonopin?
Haha Benzos are terrible for the classroom setting. I used to zone out so hardcore when started Xanax in undergrad.

Benzos make you chill, but they don't help your concentration. At least in my personal experience, they don't.

Be prepared for a hesitant doc. He's going to try to get you to keep trying the SSRIs. As for which one is better, the only real thing you need to think about is the kinetics.

Klonopin is a bad choice for you because it's long acting. It's duration of action is 1-3 days.

Xanax is rapidly absorbed orally. So it'll be quick onset of action. Its duration of action is 12-20 hours.

I'd say Xanax. Even though its duration of action is intermediate, the short acting benzos have active metabolites which complicate things. That's why they aren't used anymore except for sleep (i.e. triazolam).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I would be taking a low dose, I am very susceptible to the effects of pills, so I think if I kept to a low dose of Xanax I would be able to concentrate. I don't need to be super focused in class since most of my work is done outside the classroom, but I don't want to be completely out of it either.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Why is the classroom so different than work, parties, or anything else? Just curious.

The classroom and work are my only two comforting social zones, actually. I feel that way because I'm not getting accepted nor rejected there. I'm just there, and everybody else just there. If somebody doesn't like me, then I just won't talk to them. But if you throw me into a party, then it feels like I'm interfering in their personal lives, which requires acceptance.

Me and you are exactly the opposite. But I will say this, I've tried taking Xanax at parties and it didn't help at all. I still felt out-of-place and not welcomed. The chill effect of benzos don't really help that. Just fyi. Worth a try, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me a party is fine because I am not forced to be there, I am not being judged for my intelligence, and if I am uncomfortable I can leave any time. I do feel anxiety in the workplace as well, but it's worse in a classroom because of the pressure, and I can't leave, I have to stay and I have to graduate. I feel like Xanax will be good because it will calm me down, I am always so wired and scared and uncomfortable in a classroom. I just need to be in a completely relaxed, calm, mood. The SSRI's also don't sit well in my body, they made me physically sick and even more anxious. I think it's because I am not that much of a chronically anxious person, it's only specific settings, and I am not depressed at all. I also don't want to try beta-blockers because I'm afraid of them stopping my heart and lowering my blood pressure. So I think benzos might be the only answer.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
For me a party is fine because I am not forced to be there, I am not being judged for my intelligence, and if I am uncomfortable I can leave any time. I do feel anxiety in the workplace as well, but it's worse in a classroom because of the pressure, and I can't leave, I have to stay and I have to graduate. I feel like Xanax will be good because it will calm me down, I am always so wired and scared and uncomfortable in a classroom. I just need to be in a completely relaxed, calm, mood. The SSRI's also don't sit well in my body, they made me physically sick and even more anxious. I think it's because I am not that much of a chronically anxious person, it's only specific settings, and I am not depressed at all. I also don't want to try beta-blockers because I'm afraid of them stopping my heart and lowering my blood pressure. So I think benzos might be the only answer.
Okay, Xanax is not a bad choice then...

But honestly, I think you're going to have to come to terms with who you are. And it helps me to just realize that anxiety is my personality and not necessarily a problem. I'm just on edge. That's who I am.

And beta-blockers don't stop the heart. They just prevent sympathetic input that would increase its rate. But Xanax is still fine.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Son, what your experiencing is normal; I experienced something similar to you and there was nothing wrong with me. From what I've read you don't need medication. Just be careful because the medication you describe are highly addictive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.