Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am a 22yr old female from Australia who is new to forums in general... I'm not going to post my whole 'story' at this stage because, although this is anonymous, I'm am still strangely scared that someone will know who I am if I say too much (yes, I know that's dumb). And I suppose even though you don't know who I am, you can still judge what I say, right? Anyway, in a nutshell I am not new to anxiety - just new to the terminology. I never thought it would get to the point that it actually interfered with life, and with achieving important goals. But it kinda crept up on me! I finally realised I should probably do something about this when suddenly my anxiety prevented me from graduating from uni. Didn't see that coming! I had been terrified of seeing someone about it for years, but with my career in danger it somehow felt much less 'personal' to seek help. So now I am seeing a psychologist and I'm glad. I have learnt a lot about me, and about anxiety. So I suppose that, while I have lots of things to sort out, I am kind of happy because at least now I know what sorting out there is to be done!

This has been longer than I intended! Thanks for reading it. Friends (even online ones I have never met) certainly make me feel warm and fuzzy! :)

Mugwump.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Hi :)

The names nick, I'm 21. I actually just stopped going to university recently because I couldn't handle the social interaction which was so vital.
I've been contemplating seeing a psychiatrist because these ssri's which the doctor prescribed don't seem to be doing that much and I'm on the 34th pill today (34 days).
Do you recommend I see a psychiatrist or psychologist?

Take Care! I'm in brisbane btw, u?

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Mugwump welcome. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcomes.

Nick – I can’t really answer your question regarding whether to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist. I have only had experience with one, and I don’t know anything about the medication side of things. However, don’t worry too much about the fine details – I’m sure either would be suitable, and if not you would be referred. I’m in Sydney. And it’s interesting that you left uni due to the peer interactions. I am studying a health science, and it was actually the professional interactions that resulted in my failure in my final clinical unit of study (I was sooooo close!).

By the way, if anyone is interested in corresponding as more of a ‘penpal’ let me know!

Mugwump.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome! :) I'm 23, I live in the US, and struggling in uni myself right now because of my anxiety and depression. I don't know if I can handle the rest of this semester, personally. :s

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yourself here. ^.^

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome! :) I'm 23, I live in the US, and struggling in uni myself right now because of my anxiety and depression. I don't know if I can handle the rest of this semester, personally. :s

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yourself here. ^.^
Hi Rune. Thanks. Just wanted to say (although I don't know if it's my place, but here goes)... don't let it get the better of you! Think of how much better you would feel if you finished the semester, rather than letting anxiety beat you. Avoidance just makes it worse in the long run (or so I have been told :)) Best wishes.

Mugwump.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, SupremeMugwump! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts