Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out with this: a year ago I worked for a company I loved and had a great boss. Then the dreaded downsizing came as my company centralized certain jobs at a location that would have been a horrible for me to commute to. I find another job with a nice company and decent boss, but I didn't make as much money and was overqualified for the job. But was only at this job for seven months because I thought I'd found the perfect job!

So I've been at this "perfect" job for a few months , but I am in micro management Hell! Not a nice micro management, but in a mean spirited way that suggests my every idea is wrong, how could I be thinking that...soft of thing.

My boss sit about four feet behind me with her desk facing my back and she can see the contents of my computer screen. She constantly tells I'm wasting time with whatever it is I'm doing and I need to do this other thing. And then later she'll do that again, and again. She even controls where I put sticky notes on things. She's a type A that needs to manage her anger better, but there's not much that I can do about that.

Most of us here in this community are probably the sensitive types that don't do well in this situation. I think most people with social anxiety would fall into the highly sensitive person category. There is a great book, by the way, called The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron.

What should I do? Has anyone tackled this problem with success? I can't get my work done like this, in part because I can't control the flow of my day with the constant critiquing. She is also overbearing to other employees at times, but they aren't in the same office with her so they don't have my problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated:D

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
What a nightmare. You have a boss who literally breathes down your neck.

Other than telling her straight that you can't work like that and will do the tasks in your own way, somehow getting transferred out of her office, or finding another job, I can't think what you could do. The first idea that sprang to mind was to get a big afro perm...!

·
Registered
156 Posts
What a nightmare. You have a boss who literally breathes down your neck.

Other than telling her straight that you can't work like that and will do the tasks in your own way, somehow getting transferred out of her office, or finding another job, I can't think what you could do. The first idea that sprang to mind was to get a big afro perm...!
LMAO! The answer to all privacy problems :yes

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
Sounds like my boyfriend's former boss. She didn't sit directly behind him, but her cubicle was right across the way and she would come into his cubicle a billion times a day. She'd bother him about how to add a new folder to her desktop, how to do email, and a bunch of other stupid crap that had nothing to do with his job. He really did all that he could to let her know that she really needed to back off, even going to HER boss to let him know how unbearable she was. Unfortunately, no one was really helpful and he ended up quitting. He was quite relieved. :)

·
Pleased to meet me.
1,933 Posts
Let me start out with this: a year ago I worked for a company I loved and had a great boss. Then the dreaded downsizing came as my company centralized certain jobs at a location that would have been a horrible for me to commute to. I find another job with a nice company and decent boss, but I didn't make as much money and was overqualified for the job. But was only at this job for seven months because I thought I'd found the perfect job!

So I've been at this "perfect" job for a few months , but I am in micro management Hell! Not a nice micro management, but in a mean spirited way that suggests my every idea is wrong, how could I be thinking that...soft of thing.

My boss sit about four feet behind me with her desk facing my back and she can see the contents of my computer screen. She constantly tells I'm wasting time with whatever it is I'm doing and I need to do this other thing. And then later she'll do that again, and again. She even controls where I put sticky notes on things. She's a type A that needs to manage her anger better, but there's not much that I can do about that.

Most of us here in this community are probably the sensitive types that don't do well in this situation. I think most people with social anxiety would fall into the highly sensitive person category. There is a great book, by the way, called The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron.

What should I do? Has anyone tackled this problem with success? I can't get my work done like this, in part because I can't control the flow of my day with the constant critiquing. She is also overbearing to other employees at times, but they aren't in the same office with her so they don't have my problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated:D
ask her specifically what your job title is, if she is so opposed to the work that your doing, have her tell you what she wants you to do exactly to avoid further conflict.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts