Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This is my first time visiting this site and I think this is exactly what I needed. I have dealt with social anxiety probably in some form for most of my life. It really began to become an issue for me during my junior year of high school. I began to drift away from the small group of friends I had and came to the realization it was incredibly difficult for me to make new friends. It has been about three years now and I have yet to be able to "get out there" and make new relationships with others. Everytime I am put in a social situation like family parties or being with groups of people my age I become extremely self conscience and nervous. I almost become numb and have a hard time even speaking one word. I am constantly worrying and filled with anxiety. I have experienced panic attacks at school and public places, like the mall. The hardest thing for me to do is give presentations or read out loud at school. Once I begin, I sound like I am about to cry and feel like I can't breath. My vision becomes blurry and my face feels like it is on fire. My social anxiety disorder has begun to rule my life and I have decided to fight and win it back. I have recently started a new program which aids in attacking anxiety and depression. Some things I have begun to do is spend time meditating, more time exercising, and journaling. I feel that it is starting to work, but I know I have a while to go before I am cured. I would love to hear from people who have similar issues and may have more suggestions as to things that would help. I have done much research on this topic and would also love to be a help to anyone else who needs it.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey c621 welcome. :)

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
c621, welcome aboard! :) I also have trouble with speeches and making new friends. It's good to see you are already taking steps to deal with your social anxiety. Exercising can definitely help you to feel better. I tend to go the route of trying to desensitise myself to social situations with exposure, but it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, C621

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts