Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Umm... hi. Google introduced me to this site, and after reading through the forums and seeing myself in so many of the posts I decided to register.

I guess I'll say a bit about myself. I've never actually been able to bring myself to talk about this (even when I was in a social phobia group), but thanks to internet anonymity I'll try. I'm a 21 yr old female from the US. I had mild on and off again social anxiety issues when I was younger but it didn't really start interfering with my life until the end of high school. A series of happenings caused me to become quite depressed and socially anxious my senior year of high school. I felt like (and still do though to a lesser degree) everyone was disgusted by my appearance and I was always obsessed with the things I was saying and how I came off to other people. I ended up missing my entire last month of high school, and I couldn't even bring myself to take my finals. Thankfully my teachers took pity on me and passed me so I could get a diploma.

Because of my withdrawal I lost all of my friends, and continued being a friendless recluse while dropping in and out of community college and quitting several jobs after a few days. It's three years later and I am finally fed up with being alone all the time (I'm currently looking to transfer to a 4yr school to live on campus, oh god!) and have an idea what kind of career I'd like to go into. But I still struggle daily with my anxiety, and although I am friendly with a few classmates the only interaction I have outside of school is with my family and two friends who live across the country. I also still avoid anywhere there might be social interaction.

I really want to visit/volunteer overseas and eventually move to Europe - I hope one day I can make a good friend to accompany me and overcome my anxiety to do so.

So yeah, looking forward to posting here =]

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Lauren welcome. :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Renne! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts